Thoughts on Energy Gel's

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never tried a gel, but a couple of years ago I started carrying 5-Hour Energy with me on hikes. I resort to it only toward the end of the hike when I feel myself getting weary and inattentive. I definitely feel perkier after I take it, whether because it's actually doing something physiologically or because of a placebo effect. Either way, it's all good.

I don't eat until after I reach the summit. I drink 32 oz of water while driving to the trailhead. This helps me not needing to drink during most of the way up.

I think most of us have fairly similar nutritional requirements given that we are all derived from the "bottleneck population" when humanity was reduced to very small numbers. What else is there besides protein, fat and sugar plus a handfull of vitamins and minerals? Most hiking is done at low levels of physical output for long periods. Being omniverous we can fuel a hike on just about anything, from raw steak to M and M's.

Energy packets are perhaps the most expensive and over-hyped form of sugar known to man and they pack a heavy environmental (packaging) impact per calorie to boot. I buy table sugar in 5 pound recyclable bags and add it to home-made protein drink to which I can add anything else I want. I drink one on the way to the hike and another along the way (in all 4 seasons). Peer-reviewed scientific articles show sucrose to be suitable for pre-event loading, fueling during and recovering from elite level aerobic endurance sports.

The fitter you are the more you use fat for fuel anyway but of course fats always burn in a carbohydrate flame so some sugar is always required.

Possibly, carbohydrate delivery devices such as Gu are a symptom of our overly-superlative culture. Superlative as in being the "best you can be", "shattering" records, "pushing" one's limits, "killing" a mountain, "crushing" a trail and so on. Most people probably just like to go for a relaxing hike and wish to enjoy a nice lunch somewhere.

I think most of us have fairly similar nutritional requirements given that we are all derived from the "bottleneck population" when humanity was reduced to very small numbers. What else is there besides protein, fat and sugar plus a handfull of vitamins and minerals? Most hiking is done at low levels of physical output for long periods. Being omniverous we can fuel a hike on just about anything, from raw steak to M and M's.

Energy packets are perhaps the most expensive and over-hyped form of sugar known to man and they pack a heavy environmental (packaging) impact per calorie to boot. I buy table sugar in 5 pound recyclable bags and add it to home-made protein drink to which I can add anything else I want. I drink one on the way to the hike and another along the way (in all 4 seasons). Peer-reviewed scientific articles show sucrose to be suitable for pre-event loading, fueling during and recovering from elite level aerobic endurance sports.

The fitter you are the more you use fat for fuel anyway but of course fats always burn in a carbohydrate flame so some sugar is always required.

Possibly, carbohydrate delivery devices such as Gu are a symptom of our overly-superlative culture. Superlative as in being the "best you can be", "shattering" records, "pushing" one's limits, "killing" a mountain, "crushing" a trail and so on. Most people probably just like to go for a relaxing hike and wish to enjoy a nice lunch somewhere.

Have to agree with this. I did a lot of nutritional experimentation a few years ago with different foods, energy drinks, etc and found the best way to get the most out of a hike is to be in better shape. I really increased my endurance this year by getting out more and noticed that I need a lot less food and water than when I was in less desirable shape. I can now walk almost as far with no food or water breaks as entire hikes I was doing a few years back with tons of water and food and am a lot less sore. I agree you can eat just about anything on a hike as long as you're eating and drinking something reasonably enough. I think the pushing of the limits with gels and supplements really has the biggest bang at the extreme levels of any sport, where conditioning is already pretty well maxed out and other avenues have to be tried to push beyond the plateau.

I use the analogy of a 26 handicap golfer buying a $600 driver to improve his game when what he really needs is time hitting a bucket of balls and practicing. When he's consistently striping his driver down the fairway maybe then he can get a little extra distance with that $600 driver. If you hike once every three or four months (or worse) I don't care what types of supplements you're cramming down your gullet. I think the benefit is far more perceived than actual. You're gonna bonk no matter what you're doing and be sore after.

The only supplement combination I can honestly say had a noticeable benefit was taking calcium and magnesium on very long or strenuous hikes or on very hot days (with plenty of water). Seemed to help/prevent cramping and prolonged the endurance of my muscles. Everybody's metabolism is different of course so I suppose sugar spikes work for some more than others. I saw no benefit.

Good additions Neil. Glad you pointed out the packaging issue.

I use the analogy of a 26 handicap golfer buying a $600 driver to improve his game when what he really needs is time hitting a bucket of balls and practicing. When he's consistently striping his driver down the fairway maybe then he can get a little extra distance with that $600 driver. If you hike once every three or four months (or worse) I don't care what types of supplements you're cramming down your gullet. I think the benefit is far more perceived than actual.

Ha. I like the analogy of the swimmer who shaves his body for that extra edge but holds onto 15 extra pounds of weight.

There is a lot of money being made on us as our dreams (fantasies) of being world-class athletes continue to be supported by such companies as Gu. :)

I've said it before, but the only supplement I have ever noticed make a significant difference in my recovery is potassium. YMMV.

The only time I have ever noticed a gel really work is when I have been training/hiking for extended periods and have used up most of my fuel. I get a blast of energy then, but an apple would do the same thing at that point.

Bringing the fitness level of the hiker into this discussion is right on. Issues of cramping and bonking etc. are often erroneously attributed to fueling, electrolyte, and hydration issues when in actual fact it's just fitness. And as we all know, you can't buy fitness, nor can you put it in a package.

As for the dreams of being world-class athletes it's true that nowadays we have websites, books, magazines up the ying-yang that deliver, to the avid amateur, training regimes for and by professionals. When we who have day jobs try to emulate the pros in our training.....look out!