More Mellow Hikes in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm thinking of heading north this weekend, and I'd like suggestions for flatter hikes. I've been dealing with a hip flexor problem that has plagued me for over a year, so I'm hesitant to try anything with too much vertical/scrambling. I've never done Nancy/Norcross or Thoreau Falls (plus it would be timely to visit given the current bridge controversy) and was wondering if something like that might be the ticket. I'd love something that got me into the woods rather than the more touristy mellow hikes to water falls etc.

Any suggestions?

Much appreciated!

Seeker

Given what you've said, heading to Norcross via Nancy Pond is something you may not want to do. The trail gets very steep with rugged footing especially once past Nancy Cascade.

Checking the Thoreau Falls Tr. bridge would be an option. Beautiful hike once past the tent-sites. But if you're thinking of continuing to Thoreau Falls you're looking at a 23 mile RT.

I'm rehabbing a broken ankle and a first long hike I've been thinking of doing is Thoreau Falls from the Zealand lot. Relatively easy grades the entire way and the Ethan Pond Trail through Zealand Notch is breathe taking.

Valley bagging can be lots of fun.

Thoreau Falls is a great flat hike, though the falls are the on North side of Shoal Pond Peak & the bridge is on the South side. That flattest, the second shortest--I think the Ethan Pond Trail offers a slightly shorter approach, but it has a climb up from 302--I assume most popular way to reach the falls is via Zealand. In addition to visiting Thoreau falls, you could visit Ethan & Shoal ponds.

The trail to Nancy & Norcross Ponds includes a steep and somewhat substantial ascent.

The Sawyer River Trail from the Kanc is nice trail. (See Steve Smith's TR here.) Other variations might include taking the logging roads that head in toward the Captain, or heading over to Sawyer Pond.

The Cedar Brook Trail to Hancock-Hitchcock notch involves minimal climbing, or you could go to Hancock Notch. Carrigain Notch also has a bit of a climb, but it's not too bad.

Valley bagging in the Wild River area?

The old Priscilla Brook Trail up to the saddle between Pliny & Waumbek is nice, & though not maintained, is easy to follow.

If you're looking for more mileage, a circumnavigation of Owls Head (from Lincoln Woods) or Shoal Pond from Zealand are nice longer hikes, or they could be done as overnights.

Great suggestions--through Zealand notch would be lovely. Apologies for not looking at my maps first--I'm being lazy and soliciting opinions. :) Thanks for the heads up on Nancy/Norcross. I guess that will stay on the list.

I may stay at Dolly Copp--thoughts on anything farther north?

I may stay at Dolly Copp--thoughts on anything farther north?

The old Priscilla Brook Trail (shown on the USGS quad at mapper.acme.com) that I mentioned above, but that's a relatively short hike.

The Wild River Wilderness, from the campground, maybe to No Ketchum Pond.

Northern end of the Kilkenny, such as Kilback Pond from York Pond, mentioned in this TR of Steve Smith's.

Or take the Auto Road up, park at the Cow Pasture or somewhere around there & take the Alpine Garden Trail & Davis Path over to Boott Spur. On the return you could take the West Side Trail>Gulfside Trail>Air Force Lot>Auto Road back to your car for a circumnavigation of the Rockpile's summit cone.

Last edited:
Given what you've said, heading to Norcross via Nancy Pond is something you may not want to do. The trail gets very steep with rugged footing especially once past Nancy Cascade.

Checking the Thoreau Falls Tr. bridge would be an option. Beautiful hike once past the tent-sites. But if you're thinking of continuing to Thoreau Falls you're looking at a 23 mile RT.

I'm rehabbing a broken ankle and a first long hike I've been thinking of doing is Thoreau Falls from the Zealand lot. Relatively easy grades the entire way and the Ethan Pond Trail through Zealand Notch is breathe taking.

+1 on Thoreau Falls via Zealand Trail. Very nice hike with a lot of scenic variety (river crossings, swamps with views, the open rocks of Whitehall Ledge and the Falls themselves).

Nice to see you up north when snow isn't on the ground ;). The RMC trail network north of RT 2 has several loops that are well graded with some views. One option is Pasture Path to Lookout ledge, then Crescent Ridge trail to Carlton Notch trail and back. The have messed with the trail heads a bit so you may have to walk back down Randolph hill Road a bit to get back to your car. I would skip Mt Crescent as there are some steep spots on the Mt. Crescent trail. There are some nice traisl up in the York Pond area but they are out and back versus loops. One loop is Unknown Pond trail to the Pond then Kilkenny Ridge Trail east to Mill Brook Trail and then a walk back up the fish hatchery road. If you are up for it, the short walk up to Rogers ledge is steep but short and the views from the ledge are nice. This area also doesnt get a lot of use.

Awesome--thanks all! Some great suggestions. Yeah peakbagger, I've been away from the mountains for a bit, and it's time to change that!

Albany Mt. and Round Pond at Crocker Pond Campground area in the Bethel ME area is one that would fit your bill, though I'm sure a long haul...or Deer Hills, Caribou Mt., and/or Blueberry Mt. in the Speckled Mt. region in Evans Notch...not too far from Dolly Copp, and you have Hastings, Basin, Cold River and Crocker Pond campgrounds over there...hope your hip flexor improves, I also had that issue a few years ago and took a while to come back...

Ponds are always a favorite of mine when all I want to do is take a relaxing walk in the woods. There are a few ponds off the Sandwich Notch Road and Church Ponds off the Kanc that we found fun, scenic and good wildlife viewing. The ski trail near Potash and Hedgehog off the Kanc is another nice one. Black Pond is pretty but prettier in winter ... and the Wilderness Trail ... whoops, Lincoln Woods Trail, will probably be busy. Tunnel Brook Ponds ... shouldn't be very busy.

Good luck with that hip.

As another possibility, check out the Presidential Range Rail Trail as an option to make loops with the Randolph and Jefferson Trails. It's a flat rail grade that can be biked. It's runs about 20 miles or so from Gorham out to Pondicherry National Wildlife Refuge which is a good destination with flat trails, a couple gorgeous ponds, carnivorous pitcher plants, and some of the largest trees in the state if you know where they are. Not a hill anywhere along the trails, but the views and surroundings are great.

Re: hip flexor. Thanks--I injured it trying to ramp up my running last Spring--this after working with a personal trainer for 7 months, so I was already in decent shape, and it's never quite gone away. I had PT last summer (ran out before I was totally healed), tried to keep up with the exercises on my own, but certain things keep triggering it (not skiing, thank god). I've kind of thrown up my hands--it only goes away completely when I do nothing. Not a great solution. I've been working a lot, so haven't been that active lately. I need to get back to PT, but I'm wildly frustrated and not sure anything will help.

Any suggestions are welcome. I'm also curious if anyone has a sense of whether this f-er will ever heal. Is a year typical?

Might be a long shot but back and other pains sometimes turn out to be an uncomfortable matress.

Re: hip flexor. Thanks--I injured it trying to ramp up my running last Spring--this after working with a personal trainer for 7 months, so I was already in decent shape, and it's never quite gone away. I had PT last summer (ran out before I was totally healed), tried to keep up with the exercises on my own, but certain things keep triggering it (not skiing, thank god). I've kind of thrown up my hands--it only goes away completely when I do nothing. Not a great solution. I've been working a lot, so haven't been that active lately. I need to get back to PT, but I'm wildly frustrated and not sure anything will help.

Any suggestions are welcome. I'm also curious if anyone has a sense of whether this f-er will ever heal. Is a year typical?
Of course, I can't predict how long it will take your specific injury to heal, but I had a joint-surface wear-and-tear problem take 10 years for me to beat. (I was given poor medical advice and had to figure out how to treat it on my own.) Someone else (who got proper medical advice) took about a year. I also had a muscle problem ("catastrophic" overtraining of the eccentric contraction* of the quads) take several years.

* No one seemed to know much about this kind of overtraining... I had had minor bouts prior to the broken leg, but the broken leg led to a much more severe case.

I believe that I could have healed in a year or at most two years in both cases if I had had proper medical advice and help.

Exercise is both the cause and the cure--the hard part is staying within your limits until you are back to normal. In both cases I had to learn what I could do safely (in both activity and intensity) through multiple cycles of reinjury and partial healing. Ultimately I had to suspend (ie temporarily give up) any risky activity, rebuild very slowly (eg for a year or more) and carefully test each increase in activity. It took an enormous amount of patience--I literally had to give up any thoughts of engaging in the risky activities for extended periods. And, of course, I didn't know if I could get ever back to normal.

Once cured, I have been very careful to maintain my fitness to prevent a reoccurrence of either problem. (Just got back from a short hike with a 45lb pack to maintain my legs...)

Doug

Hip flexor issues have been showing a lot of positive response to stretching with foam rollers. Google "hip flexor stretch" and "foam roller." I have a yoga instructor friend who swears by these as do more than a few hard core runners I know. May be worth a try - the stretch you can get with one is pretty good. I use one on occasion when I feel I need one. They can be used to really work out calf tension as well.

Do you have more details on which hip flexor? I have an iliopsoas pull I've been fighting for, gosh, maybe four months? It actually manifested a lot like a GI issue, with all the wonderful attendant medical procedures. I've finally figured some stretches that really get in there and help it relax, and my massage therapist helped pinpoint it. (I need to get back in to her for some more work.)

Hip flexors are a pretty common running overuse injury, and they can take quite awhile to heal. Being really aggressive with the rehab is the only real way forward. MYRTL's one common routine for strengthening a range of hip muscles, video and PDF.