Six Husbands vs Sphinx

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great feedback. I do agree that walk back from Sphinx junction to the parking lot is a long one. I was working on my truck on Saturday and it was very hot and humid until about mid day. I never saw an evidence of a breeze.

It was pretty hot. MWOBS showed an average wind of 9.4 mph on SUN and I certainly never saw anything near that. Maybe a few 5mph puffs along parts of the Gulfside heading into Sphinx Col. Oddly enough, two summers ago when I did the Great Gulf Trail all the way up the headwall is was a similarly hot and calm day. I was absolute toast when I reached the Gulfside Trail sign at 5925'.

And I really don't mind Great Gulf Trail AFTER clearing the Wamsutta/Six Husbands junction. Along the river and scenic almost the entire way and after you get clear of the short steeper pitch near the Bluff you can pretty much kick in the afterburners and motor out of the woods. The stretch between Sphinx and there though not so much: wet, muddy, lots of blowdowns and tedious walking. It always seems like so much farther than a mile.