Mt Clinton Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree!

For those who have been there, does it seem like it would be easier to route-find by descending the trail from Dry River Cutoff, or ascending from Dry River Trail?

personal opinion here - easier to follow going downhill - not sure why. i remember looking back uphill and saying myself, "THIS is a trail????? Where????"

I too looked back up and thought "What trail?!" Then again, going downhill wasn't much better.

I'd be very interested in lending a hand with some trail work on the MCT. Especially (and only), under the guidance of persons familiar with the rules and regulations regarding wilderness trail maintenance.

personal opinion here - easier to follow going downhill - not sure why. i remember looking back uphill and saying myself, "THIS is a trail????? Where????"

The trail is extremely easy to follow up or down from roughly 2400' up to the ridge. Below that to the river crossing is the messy area, maybe the last 0.3-0.4 miles looking at my GPS track. The trail hits a muddy overgrown area and then the fun begins. I don't think it would take much maintenance to revive it into a useful trail. I almost want to go back and follow from the bottom just to see how that goes and whether I was floundering around 20' away from the trail. It's the only trail I've ever taken in the Whites that I could not follow.

FYI, I talked to the Forest Service on Saturday and I was told that the Mt. Clinton trail is slated for major work once they finish with the Rocky Branch Trail.

Yesterday, I took a stab at it from the Dry River Trail. The crossing of the Dry River was a piece of cake because of the low water levels. From there, a line of cairns leads across the river. Do not duck into the woods here, as I did on my ascent, instead, follow the line of cairns slightly upstream. Soon, a length of orange flagging tape directs you to where the trail enters the woods. From here, the trail is quite obvious underfoot. The orange flagging tape serves as a reminder that you are on the trail, but it's not really necessary as you can tell the treadway characteristics are quite intact. This lower section is overgrown with hobblebush. I had my clippers with me because I had been doing trailwork on Webster Cliff Trail earlier. I did some judicious pruning, but it soon became obvious that no amount of clipping that I could do in an afternoon was going to make a dent in what needed to be done. I continued to follow the trail and the flagging, thinking that things were going much more smoothly than I anticipated. At about 0.5, I reached a large blowdown and the trail underfoot disappeared. I suspect the blowdown falls on the treadway, but it was quite jumbled in this area. The flagging continued, and I followed that for another 0.1 of bushwhack, not at all confident that whoever had flagged it knew the trail at this point. I could hear the brook nearby, but the flagged route seemed to lead more to the left of the water. At this point, the hour was getting late and I had a cold beer and a swimming hole calling to me. Perhaps I will try to descend it next time. I think, as Becca M points out, that may be the lesser of two evils. In the meantime, if anyone tries descending soon, rest assured that when you come to the orange flagging tape at the bottom of the trail, you will have an easy time of following the trail to the river.

FYI, I talked to the Forest Service on Saturday and I was told that the Mt. Clinton trail is slated for major work once they finish with the Rocky Branch Trail.

Yesterday, I took a stab at it from the Dry River Trail. The crossing of the Dry River was a piece of cake because of the low water levels. From there, a line of cairns leads across the river. Do not duck into the woods here, as I did on my ascent, instead, follow the line of cairns slightly upstream. Soon, a length of orange flagging tape directs you to where the trail enters the woods. From here, the trail is quite obvious underfoot. The orange flagging tape serves as a reminder that you are on the trail, but it's not really necessary as you can tell the treadway characteristics are quite intact. This lower section is overgrown with hobblebush. I had my clippers with me because I had been doing trailwork on Webster Cliff Trail earlier. I did some judicious pruning, but it soon became obvious that no amount of clipping that I could do in an afternoon was going to make a dent in what needed to be done. I continued to follow the trail and the flagging, thinking that things were going much more smoothly than I anticipated. At about 0.5, I reached a large blowdown and the trail underfoot disappeared. I suspect the blowdown falls on the treadway, but it was quite jumbled in this area. The flagging continued, and I followed that for another 0.1 of bushwhack, not at all confident that whoever had flagged it knew the trail at this point. I could hear the brook nearby, but the flagged route seemed to lead more to the left of the water. At this point, the hour was getting late and I had a cold beer and a swimming hole calling to me. Perhaps I will try to descend it next time. I think, as Becca M points out, that may be the lesser of two evils. In the meantime, if anyone tries descending soon, rest assured that when you come to the orange flagging tape at the bottom of the trail, you will have an easy time of following the trail to the river.

The length of orange tape I followed along the river bank led me straight through blowdowns. I had to climb over branches to go through. It even had two small cairns stacked on the tree branches leading to the river bank cairns. Was the actual trail literally on the other side of those trees? That would be my luck. At that point I could see the cairn on the other side of the river and was just trying to get out to the rocks and get out.

The length of orange tape I followed along the river bank led me straight through blowdowns. I had to climb over branches to go through. It even had two small cairns stacked on the tree branches leading to the river bank cairns. Was the actual trail literally on the other side of those trees? That would be my luck. At that point I could see the cairn on the other side of the river and was just trying to get out to the rocks and get out.

Yes! You have to climb over a screwy blowdown right at the river. That is the trail! On my way up, I missed the cairns that led upstream. Instead, I 'whacked into the woods near that big rock face just as you reach the northwest side of the river. I soon saw the orange tape and followed it- definitely on the trail at that point. On the way down, I stuck with the orange tape and climbed over the blowdown (with the cairns constructed on top of them) that you mention. That was the trail!

Yes! You have to climb over a screwy blowdown right at the river. That is the trail! On my way up, I missed the cairns that led upstream. Instead, I 'whacked into the woods near that big rock face just as you reach the northwest side of the river. I soon saw the orange tape and followed it- definitely on the trail at that point. On the way down, I stuck with the orange tape and climbed over the blowdown (with the cairns constructed on top of them) that you mention. That was the trail!

Good grief. That isn't "trail" in my book so I was sure you found an actual foot path in that area. It was easy enough to follow the blazes but if the actual foot path of the trail was under there someone needs to get in there with a saw. That's just crazy, even for a wilderness area.

Good grief. That isn't "trail" in my book so I was sure you found an actual foot path in that area. It was easy enough to follow the blazes but if the actual foot path of the trail was under there someone needs to get in there with a saw. That's just crazy, even for a wilderness area.

Beyond that stacked birch tangle of blowdown, the trail wasn't nearly as bad. The was a clear footpath under my feet. The bigger problem is all the hobblebush which has grown in and covered the treadway. I did what I could with my clippers, but alas, I am only one person. I can't wait to try it again from the top! You should come with me! :D

Beyond that stacked birch tangle of blowdown, the trail wasn't nearly as bad. The was a clear footpath under my feet. The bigger problem is all the hobblebush which has grown in and covered the treadway. I did what I could with my clippers, but alas, I am only one person. I can't wait to try it again from the top! You should come with me! :D

I do remember sections of path before the blowdowns on the stream. Maybe someday I'll go back to see the error of my ways. I'll be sure to invite you should I choose such a foolish course of action. :)

Yeehaw! I hiked the Mt. Clinton Trail today!

I spotted my car at Dry River Trail and got a ride to Crawford. I hiked to Mizpah Hut and started down the Mt. Clinton Trail. It was a load of fun and fairly challenging. The top mile or so isn't too bad, just a bit overgrown. On the way down, each stream crossing is flagged with orange tape. The worst part of the trail comes between the 4th and 5th stream crossings where it is a muddy mess. It's hard to know if you are on the trail. Just keep your eyes open for the flagging tape and use your common sense to follow the flow of the trail.

I am shocked that no one has mentioned the designated campsite, complete with sign, on the east side of the main stream. It looked like there was room for three small tents. But who would go there? LOL!

There is a very sketchy part before you get to the last stream crossing. If you look downhill, you will see that some kind soul had built a couple of small cairns to guide you off the logging road. Follow the cairns, walk downstream, and you'll come to the next crossing.

As I suspected, the blowdown I encountered last week lies in the treadway. I easily recognized my mistake and followed the flagging tape out.

The Dry River crossing was insignificant. I just waded across, so glad to finally have this trail done! \o/

We passed the USFS work crew yesterday on their way out of Rocky Branch and the shelter there has been dismantled. So maybe that means now they will shift some effort toward the Dry River Wilderness?

This trail and thread piques my interest and suggests an interesting loop though I might do it a bit differently than wardsgirl. Researching it with more curiosity than most trailed hikes, I found that the trail exists on old AMC maps as far back, at least, as the first AMC Guide I possess (1966 - 18th ed.), but without a description in the book until after the 1983 - 23rd edition. My 1992 - 25th edition and thereafter have ample warnings about this trail: lightly used, rough, difficult to follow, several crossings potentially dangerous at high water, and a very difficult bushwhack along the brook possible and, in some cases, necessary. As Chris points out, this is a good navigational fallback, and IMNSHO, a more honorable one than relying on flagging.

I wonder about that flagging. It is certainly not the ethical way to mark a trail, especially in a wilderness area, and anyone attempting this trail should consider that flagging can disappear as quickly as it appears ... a pissing contest between two different hiking philosophies which I'm happy to observe as a spectator. A more optimistic observation might be that the flagging was put there to guide trail maintainers or perhaps it is a way to beg for a trail adopter(s). Were I able to spend more time in the mountains this is a project that could be fun.

Thanks to those in this thread who have elevated an otherwise anonymous trail to a symbol of sensible and responsible hiking adventure.

This trail and thread piques my interest and suggests an interesting loop though I might do it a bit differently than wardsgirl. Researching it with more curiosity than most trailed hikes, I found that the trail exists on old AMC maps as far back, at least, as the first AMC Guide I possess (1966 - 18th ed.), but without a description in the book until after the 1983 - 23rd edition. My 1992 - 25th edition and thereafter have ample warnings about this trail: lightly used, rough, difficult to follow, several crossings potentially dangerous at high water, and a very difficult bushwhack along the brook possible and, in some cases, necessary. As Chris points out, this is a good navigational fallback, and IMNSHO, a more honorable one than relying on flagging.

I wonder about that flagging. It is certainly not the ethical way to mark a trail, especially in a wilderness area, and anyone attempting this trail should consider that flagging can disappear as quickly as it appears ... a pissing contest between two different hiking philosophies which I'm happy to observe as a spectator. A more optimistic observation might be that the flagging was put there to guide trail maintainers or perhaps it is a way to beg for a trail adopter(s). Were I able to spend more time in the mountains this is a project that could be fun.

Thanks to those in this thread who have elevated an otherwise anonymous trail to a symbol of sensible and responsible hiking adventure.

It is worth noting that I have come across orange flagging on other trails in this area on Dry River Cut Off. And in this case it most definitely did NOT correlate with the trail and would have gotten you well off track. I assumed it was left by campers to locate a favorite pool on river or camp site (of which there were several in the area) or possibly a future trail relocation. If I had not read previous commenter in this thread who indicated that orange tape marked crossings I would have ignored and assumed it was the same scenario. So I'm not sure who flagged it or why but I would not want to trust this as the only way to navigate in these areas. May not always be correct.

Yeehaw! I hiked the Mt. Clinton Trail today!

I spotted my car at Dry River Trail and got a ride to Crawford. I hiked to Mizpah Hut and started down the Mt. Clinton Trail. It was a load of fun and fairly challenging. The top mile or so isn't too bad, just a bit overgrown. On the way down, each stream crossing is flagged with orange tape. The worst part of the trail comes between the 4th and 5th stream crossings where it is a muddy mess. It's hard to know if you are on the trail. Just keep your eyes open for the flagging tape and use your common sense to follow the flow of the trail.

I am shocked that no one has mentioned the designated campsite, complete with sign, on the east side of the main stream. It looked like there was room for three small tents. But who would go there? LOL!

There is a very sketchy part before you get to the last stream crossing. If you look downhill, you will see that some kind soul had built a couple of small cairns to guide you off the logging road. Follow the cairns, walk downstream, and you'll come to the next crossing.

As I suspected, the blowdown I encountered last week lies in the treadway. I easily recognized my mistake and followed the flagging tape out.

The Dry River crossing was insignificant. I just waded across, so glad to finally have this trail done! \o/

Good for you. Reminds me of the old Saturday Night Live skit where the family is eating rotten food at dinner and everyone passes it around saying "Wow! This milk is spoiled. Here - you try it!". Wow, that trail is a pain in the ass. Hey, you go try it! :)

The cool thing about redlining is you get to see some surprises such as the states of various trails. There are other trails out there that are pretty challenging to follow as well (I won't say which as I don't want any trail maintainers to get mad), but, there is a LOT to explore :) The fun ones are often (but not always) in the wilderness. When the leaves are down - even more fun!!!!

Frankly, I'm surprised some of them are still open. What is the process for trail closure?

Last edited:
There are other trails out there that are pretty challenging to follow as well (I won't say which as I don't want any trail maintainers to get mad), but, there is a LOT to explore :)

I think they close trails when you are following tiny pieces of fluorescent tape and cairns stacked in the branches of fallen trees! :p

On a serious note, what you would rank as your top 5 (or whatever #) trails for difficulty following in the Whites? Based on what I've seen of your posts you get well off the beaten path on some hikes. Curious if I've been on any (other than Mt Clinton) and no doubt will want to torture myself looking for the trail on them at some point. You can message me if you don't want to offend the trail maintainers. Thanks.

I think they close trails when you are following tiny pieces of fluorescent tape and cairns stacked in the branches of fallen trees! :p

On a serious note, what you would rank as your top 5 (or whatever #) trails for difficulty following in the Whites? Based on what I've seen of your posts you get well off the beaten path on some hikes. Curious if I've been on any (other than Mt Clinton) and no doubt will want to torture myself looking for the trail on them at some point. You can message me if you don't want to offend the trail maintainers. Thanks.

Hah - nope - I got zinged at least once on NETC for a comment I made, (and my friend got zinged as well) - I leave it as an exercise to the reader to explore :)

Are there any recent updates on this trail? I'm hoping to hike it this summer. Anyone interested in sharing that adventure with me?
-vegematic

Are there any recent updates on this trail? I'm hoping to hike it this summer. Anyone interested in sharing that adventure with me?
-vegematic

I'm 99.9% sure that I don't. :p It really was only that last 0.5 miles or so that got weird. In the descending direction you can simply follow the brook out and hit the trail junction. If you're ascending I suspect you could wind up anywhere. Good luck with it.