Mt Clinton Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
It is my understanding that the entire length of Mt Clinton Trail has been reopened. I seem to recall someone mentioning in another thread and I see no closure on the WMNF site.

I'm planning a rather lengthy loop in the area and am considering descending the Mt Clinton Trail late in the day on the way out. Curious about a few things:

1) Is it easy enough to follow? Never been on it and it will be close to dusk at the point I'm on it. Sometimes wilderness trails get a little sketchy at the lower elevations. I recall some vague areas at the end of Dry River Cutoff around the river crossings.
2) How is the footing? Is it closer to Mt Eisenhower Trail (fairly dry, comfortable footing) or the Dry River Cut Off (lots of blowdowns, very muddy and rugged in spots)? I absolutely hated the Dry River Cut Off when I did last summer. If Mt Clinton Trail is similar I may avoid.
3) River crossings tricky? I know when I did Dry River Cut off there were numerous small crossings that were only 8-10' wide but were basically gullies with nothing to stand on. In high water they would have been very difficult. Need to know what I'm getting into with the crossings because at the point I'm on this trail I'll be committed.

Any info on the trail status since it reopened would be appreciated. Thanks.

I found one TR on NETC from June, 30th. It sounds very rough, the biggest concern seems to be at the Dry river junction, but this is not firsthand knowledge from me.

June this year? I found a report from last October here on VFTT from a very experienced hiker on this page that didn't paint a very pretty picture either. I'll check that report. Thanks.

If it's still in the same shape as when I did it last October it's a real treat if you're looking to test your ability to stay on a lightly used trail. The top of it is in ok shape, the water crossings were flagged to help lead the way (don't know if they are still flagged). After one of the smaller brook crossings as you descend is where the real fun starts, the trail seemed to veer into a grassy / muddy clearing ever so slightly to the left, however this was the wrong way, the trail paralleled this spot a few dozen feet to the right and up a little. After that spot the trail was a mixed bag, resembling more of a herd path than trail at times and we were only positive we were still on the trail when we came to a water crossing and spotted flagging. Towards the end we just headed out into the Dry River and rock hopped below the river bank until we came to the cairns and then crossed over to the junction. However, we knew the trail was just above us and in the woods but it was more fun to travel the river.

The footing on the trail isn't too bad, but very over grown and there are muddy spots

There are several brook crossings that are easy unless there has been heavy rain

I would strongly recommend not traveling this trail as it's getting dark out if you've never been on it before. I would recommend it during the day as it's a pretty cool adventure to test out your skills with studying a map, staying on a narrow trail corridor, and finding your way through a wacky trail!

I descended it in June 2014 and can confirm what Chris has said. Earlier this month I was on the Dry River Tr and the junction at the bottom has a new sign and there were cairns along the river bed to help you navigate across.

If it's still in the same shape as when I did it last October it's a real treat if you're looking to test your ability to stay on a lightly used trail. The top of it is in ok shape, the water crossings were flagged to help lead the way (don't know if they are still flagged). After one of the smaller brook crossings as you descend is where the real fun starts, the trail seemed to veer into a grassy / muddy clearing ever so slightly to the left, however this was the wrong way, the trail paralleled this spot a few dozen feet to the right and up a little. After that spot the trail was a mixed bag, resembling more of a herd path than trail at times and we were only positive we were still on the trail when we came to a water crossing and spotted flagging. Towards the end we just headed out into the Dry River and rock hopped below the river bank until we came to the cairns and then crossed over to the junction. However, we knew the trail was just above us and in the woods but it was more fun to travel the river.

The footing on the trail isn't too bad, but very over grown and there are muddy spots

There are several brook crossings that are easy unless there has been heavy rain

I would strongly recommend not traveling this trail as it's getting dark out if you've never been on it before. I would recommend it during the day as it's a pretty cool adventure to test out your skills with studying a map, staying on a narrow trail corridor, and finding your way through a wacky trail!

Thanks. Your trail report is what prompted me to solicit some information. My original plan was to come down Mt Eisenhower Trail on way back because I've been on it before and it's a comfortable trail. I just figured I had never hiked Mt Clinton Trail past the Dry River Cut Off junction so I figured I'd extend my time on the ridge and head down here. But it will be late in day so it sounds like it may be best to avoid. I guess I'll make the call based on time of day.

I assume the woods down low is relatively easy to bushwhack (i.e. fairly open, not a lot of conifers, etc)? It seems like an easy area to just take a compass bearing and/or follow the river to return to Dry River Trail. I seem to remember the woods being fairly open in the valley where Mt Eisenhower trail/Dry River Cut off trail connects. Is that true of Mt Clinton area as well? It doesn't sound like you had any real issues walking around. It was just a case of whether you were actually on the trail or not.

Yes, I remember thinking if we lost trail it would not be too tough of a whack down to the river.

Have a great hike in and out of the Dry River Wilderness :)

-Chris

Well I did my loop as planned SAT up Dry River Trail, across on Crawford Path and Webster Cliff and down Mt Clinton Trail. And I now have a new least favorite trail ever! You did not exaggerate. What a mess. I was doing quite well, successfully negotiated the area you warned me about and thought I was "out of the woods". I hit a tricky crossing, managed to pick trail up on other side and followed away up the bank....and then it vanished. Wound up bushwhacking back to and along river (which included a nice face first dump on a wet rock and several skid outs) and despite my GPS insisting I was "on the trail" continued to fumble around. Thankfully I found enough sections of trail here and there to get to the river crossing at Dry River Trail just before dark. I can't imagine what a disaster that would have been if I didn't get out of there before dark. That last half mile or so is really a bushwhack, not a trail. I wonder why no effort has been made to clear it more. I know it's a wilderness area but they must have some leeway to clear some brush.

Thanks for the heads up on that wet area and the orange ribbons. That definitely helped out.

ugh..that's the last trial I have to redline in the DRW and I was hoping to read better news! I think I will continue to procrastinate on this one unless someone wants to form a small party.

ugh..that's the last trial I have to redline in the DRW and I was hoping to read better news! I think I will continue to procrastinate on this one unless someone wants to form a small party.
Same here. I'd be all for a small party- preferably with clippers! :)

Redlining would be the only reason I'd ever do this trail (ok well again). And quite honestly I don't know who out there could dispute whether you did the trail or not because they'd have to show you the trail, to which I say good luck! I really wanted to take pictures but I was pressed for time getting out of there before it got dark. It really needs some work to be reasonable. When there are orange ribbons and small cairns stacked on blowdowns to indicate the "trail" I think a little pruning is in order.

Wilderness regs so ten or less however I somehow doubt we could find ten people crazy enough to want to hike this trail :)

Congrats, DayTrip. Sounds like if we go soon enough we can follow your blood trail.

I'd send you my GPS track but the last 1/2 mile looks like I gave a 5 year old child an Etch-A-Sketch to play with. All I can tell you is redline the trail early in the day so you have plenty of light and maybe bring a few beers along. :)

hmmmm.... two years ago it was horrible when I hiked it - very difficult at each stream crossing. Last year, it was really obvious due to flagging, mostly. (Both times descending).

Both times were for redlining or helping redline. It's a challenge in there, for sure!!! So, after finding your way down, then you get the adventure of finding a good crossing of the Dry River :)

hmmmm.... two years ago it was horrible when I hiked it - very difficult at each stream crossing. Last year, it was really obvious due to flagging, mostly. (Both times descending).

Both times were for redlining or helping redline. It's a challenge in there, for sure!!! So, after finding your way down, then you get the adventure of finding a good crossing of the Dry River :)

"Really obvious". Wow. I don't know what changed from last year to this year but I wouldn't consider it anything near that now. The river crossings had orange ribbons in most spots and the last section along the Dry River bank had some orange ribbons that led you directly through blowdowns and overgrown brush. If there was a trail under all that stuff I sure as hell didn't see it.

Well I did my loop as planned SAT up Dry River Trail, across on Crawford Path and Webster Cliff and down Mt Clinton Trail. And I now have a new least favorite trail ever! You did not exaggerate. What a mess. I was doing quite well, successfully negotiated the area you warned me about and thought I was "out of the woods". I hit a tricky crossing, managed to pick trail up on other side and followed away up the bank....and then it vanished. Wound up bushwhacking back to and along river (which included a nice face first dump on a wet rock and several skid outs) and despite my GPS insisting I was "on the trail" continued to fumble around. Thankfully I found enough sections of trail here and there to get to the river crossing at Dry River Trail just before dark. I can't imagine what a disaster that would have been if I didn't get out of there before dark. That last half mile or so is really a bushwhack, not a trail. I wonder why no effort has been made to clear it more. I know it's a wilderness area but they must have some leeway to clear some brush.

Thanks for the heads up on that wet area and the orange ribbons. That definitely helped out.

Hell of a trail, ey DayTrip? I'm glad to hear you made it! You didn't happen to find my sunglasses that I lost on June 30th?

I'd love to give anyone a hand cleaning that trail up. Yikes!

Cheers.

I love that idea and was thinking we should now hike that trail with more frequency to get it in better shape. Perhaps a story in Backpacker that tells everyone how awesome it is might bring in some throngs?

I love that idea and was thinking we should now hike that trail with more frequency to get it in better shape. Perhaps a story in Backpacker that tells everyone how awesome it is might bring in some throngs?

It is a very useful route in theory for accessing the Southern Presidentials and doing various loops and avoiding the popular trails but not in its current state. Is there a way to look up whether there is an adopter and/or maintainer for this trail? There was relatively recent looking tree work done in the upper sections before and just after Dry River Cutoff. After that I didn't see any new activity. Even higher up where the trail is easy to follow it was heavily eroded. Do wilderness regulations allow for drainage structures? They did reroutes around the damage on Dry River so I assume that is an option for this trail too right? Trail definitely needs some TLC and it certainly feels beyond the scope of one person. It looks like a very heavy workload keeping up with the trails in there.

Is there a way to look up whether there is an adopter and/or maintainer for this trail?

It's listed in the WMG as WMNF, so you'd probably have to contact the ranger district directly. It could be fun to have a VFTT work day.