Owl's Head Day 3

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey J

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
With a fair forecast on Monday 8/17, I knew I had to go for Owl's Head 4025 today even though I would be going solo. I've been stuck on 47 for a couple of years now and not getting any younger so today is 48 or bust. I crossed the suspension bridge at 6 am sharp and was off and running. Well, walking kind of briskly anyway. Locals would tell me later that it was one of the warmest days of the year in the Whites with temps pushing 85, but I have trained in the heat down south where its been over 90 all summer. 18 and a half miles is a long day hike no matter how you look at it and concentration and focus would be the biggest challenges of the day. Considering how much thought and research I put into route finding out there, navigation was never really an issue. I stayed on the trails and the route was easy to follow and self evident all the way.

The two big water crossings at Franconia and Lincoln Brooks were just a little too deep and fast to rock hop (for me) so I switched to water shoes and had no trouble wading across. On the return, I left the water shoes on and tread lightly the half mile between crossings so that I only had to change shoes once not twice. All other stream crossings were easy and rock hops. The entrance to the slide is obvious and while I found it difficult, it was well within my skill set and I just had to take my time and be careful. The thin gloves I brought for this section were a help in grabbing for hand holds. I think I only saw about 5 or 6 people all day and believe that I was the first to reach the summit that day because I passed them all heading down. I had something to eat and took the obligatory summit photos and then headed down.

I had been hoping that Lincoln Brook Trail would be scenic and ease the grind of the long march out. It proved disappointing in that regard. It was very warm and muggy with no breeze in the narrow valley. It was buggy and muddy in places and seemed to just undulate up and down endlessly along the bank of the brook. Given a previous discussion here about how much water one needs on these long hikes, I will note that I drank just under 3 liters on this warm day and I weigh about 165. Someone in that same discussion suggested electrolyte tabs and I want to say thanks, I used them in one liter on the return.

I made it back to Lincoln Woods at 5:45 pm so I was just under 12 hours. That's the one I needed. I did it. I finished the 48. Cue Etta James (At Last)

Owls Head 037.jpgOwls Head 036.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you to all. In answer to skiguy, well, whatever I want! In NH, I have done 66/72 on the Trailwrights List but I'm done with that as I have no intention of doing the 6 remaining bushwhacks. I am sort of informally working the T3000 List and have 95/134 but there's no compulsion to finish like there was for the NH4K 48. Its more like a suggested list of options and a helpful compendium of 3Ks.

I did not make it to the Baldfaces this year so that will be my #1 goal next year. After that? Stairs, Resolution, and Crawford sounds like an interesting combo. In 2016, it will be 30 years since I did Jefferson via the Castellated Ridge so maybe I'll do a loop over Jefferson and Clay going up Caps Ridge and down Jewell to commemorate the anniversary. The Moat ridge looks interesting, as do the Percy Peaks. The Sleepers are still out there, Terrace too. Plenty of possibilities. And some good 2Ks like Welch and Dickey that I haven't done.