LKT Longest Known Time

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey J

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I know about the speed hikers who have done all 48 in like 2 days? I forget what the actual record is. And we call that the FKT or Fastest Known Time.
Is there an established standard for the LKT? I just finished the 48 and it only took me 38 years to do it. 1977-2015. Anybody got a longer span?

1200 mile drive to the trailhead
18.4 miles walking
38 years in the making
48 peaks at last

My former hiking partner had about 50 years between start and finish. He did Adams as a teenager and the rest of the list in a year 50 years later

Shooting for "48 in 48"

Congrats on your finish!

I started with Carrigan in '74. Had 33 by '78. But no new ones since '95. 3 to go. I figure my odds of doing all three are around 30%. Adams may be the easiest, if I overnight at the Madison Spring hut. Bondcliff (which wasn't on the list when I did Bond & W Bond) may be doable for me. Owl's Head will be toughest, and I refuse to finish there. Shooting for "48 in 48".

TomK

Last edited:
My first two were Lincoln and Lafayette in September of 1964, a few months after graduating from College.

My 48th was Carrigan on October 9th 2005. So that's just over 40 years. Never noticed bikehikeskifish's thread.

My New England 4Ks were a year or so longer since my first was Katahdin in June of 1963.

By planning, I finished the 48, the 67, the HH and the NE FF all together on Carrigan in 2005. Bob and Geri and my son joined me for that one (in the rain) 3 days before my 63rd birthday : Carrigan: The Last on the Listsl. Seems like yesterday.

Last edited:
Wow, my 1972-1999 seems like child's play now.

My first two were Lincoln and Lafayette in September of 1964, a few months after graduating from College.

My 48th was Carrigan on October 9th 2005. So that's just over 40 years. Never noticed bikehikeskifish's thread.

My New England 4Ks were a year or so longer since my first was Katahdin in June of 1963.

By planning, I finished the 48, the 67, the HH and the NE FF all together on Carrigan in 2005. Bob and Geri and my son joined me for that one (in the rain) 3 days before my 63rd birthday : Carrigan: The Last on the Listsl. Seems like yesterday.

Papa Bear, you got me too. Nice resume as well.

I usually only consider hikes starting in 2004 when calculating list data, because that's when I started getting serious enough to keep records, but I first climbed Mt. Washington in 1964, when I was 10 years old. So you could say it took 44 years to complete the NH4Ks, 46 years to complete the NE4Ks, and 49 years to complete the NE111. And if things go as planned, I'll finish the NEFF after 51 years.

--

Cumulus

NE111 in my 50s: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2)
NE111 in my 60s: 22/115 (17/67, 5/46, 0/2)
NEFF: 49/50; Cat35: 36/39; WNH4K: 36/48; NEHH 81/100
LT NB 2009

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll

Ok, so I know about the speed hikers who have done all 48 in like 2 days? I forget what the actual record is. And we call that the FKT or Fastest Known Time.
Is there an established standard for the LKT? I just finished the 48 and it only took me 38 years to do it. 1977-2015. Anybody got a longer span?

1200 mile drive to the trailhead
18.4 miles walking
38 years in the making
48 peaks at last

Congrats on completing the list! I can't compete with that time though.

I believe granite stater, Andrew Thomson holds the current NH48 speed record for fastest time. VFTT Member and local badA** Tim Seaver held that record for over 10 years until it was broken by an hour give or take in 2014. 3 days, 15 hours, some minutes at that time. It's a good story to read for anyone not familiar with how Tim wanted to bring the record back to New England after mountain runner Cavedog blistered the previous record by multiple days. I looked for a link to Tim's story but cannot find a valid one anymore. Anyone help?

An interesting summary of trail runs in the Whites by Doug Mayer FYI: http://www.outdoors.org/publications/appalachia/2014/you-cant-run-that-doug-mayer-2.cfm

I have always thought it would be interesting for someone to thru-hike the AT in the longest known time. Take a year to do it, average about 6 miles a day. Watch everyone pass you.

Papa Bear - I got a good laugh out of your Cannon Mountain story and in particular the statistics at the end. :)