Desperately seeking jp

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeakDancer

Reaction score
Help! :eek:
My hubby-to-be and I are looking for a hiking JP/minister to marry us on a hike in a few weeks. It is a relatively short easy hike (about 3 miles round trip) and will be just us and a few friends/family.
If you are a JP, or know one who is a hiker, and might be willing to marry us, please let me know.
Thanks.

Peakdancer, congratulations! I hope you have found your soulmate and that this marriage lasts the rest of your lives.

Judging by your location the wedding will be in central NH. Perhaps you can improve your chances of finding a JP or pastor by posting the actual date.

BEST WISHES.

I don't know NH, but in MA, anyone can get a "one wedding permit" to perform a ceremony.

My wife did this for a couple of our friends when she was 8 1/2 months pregnant. Combination wedding & fertility ceremony :) (though apparently the fertility part wasn't contagious, since they never had kids 19 years later, they are still married).

Universal Life Church!

:)

*I'm being facetious, plus I'm not sure that all states recognize marriages by ministers from the Universal Life Church.

Last edited:
New Hampshire does not have an equivalent of Massachusetts' one-time officiant. They do allow an "individual authorized by law in their state of residence to perform marriages" to obtain a one-time permit in New Hampshire, which raises the interesting question of whether you can boot-strap a Massachusetts one-time officiant into a New Hampshire one-time permit. I wouldn't want to be the first to try it.

Never heard of Universal Life Church, but most any self-proclaimed minister can obtain a license to perform marriages with no more trouble than the $5 filing fee. If a marriage is recognized by the state in which it's performed, it's good in all of them.

Sorry for the threadjack... congratulations to PeakDancer.

Thanks for all the advice and tips. :)
Wedding will be in NH. From what I've read, that one wedding permit does not apply to NH. I heard that about MA as well.
I did try Kim but she already had 3 ceremonies that day!
I have received a few names that I'm going to try, but please keep suggestions coming in case I have no luck with those.

Thanks for all the advice and tips. :)
Wedding will be in NH. From what I've read, that one wedding permit does not apply to NH. I heard that about MA as well.
I did try Kim but she already had 3 ceremonies that day!
I have received a few names that I'm going to try, but please keep suggestions coming in case I have no luck with those.

Congrats and good luck, PeakDancer. Love your tagline.

When my husband and I married (NH), we identified a dear friend to become our JP... and paid his registration fees which were only about $50 (at that time). In NH, anyone can become a JP. Whatever the price, it was worth it to us to be surrounded by our closest friends.

Congratulations, and best of luck!