Toilet Paper in the backcountry

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodstrider

Reaction score
OK- I just don't get this thing about leaving your used toilet paper lying around. I guess it is a good warning to let people know that that spot has been soiled ;-p, but seriously it is not only ugly, but unclean to do this. I was really offended by the sight of a large lump of toilet paper right in a small spring on the Burroughs Range Trail between Cornell and Slide Mountains (it is off trail and not the ones on your maps). This especially when the conditions are rather dry just now. I guess it was the same person that camped nearby this spring and left his used toilet paper and uncovered feces lying near the fire ring. :eek: I am no angel, but I do put all my used toilet paper in a small double plastic bag and pack it out. AND, I try to used as my bathroom a remote spot where someone else won't camp or rest. I guess this is yet another reason I enjoy bush whacking and a back-country camp-site. :D

This is not just a poop issue (though that magnifies the results). On many trails there is toilet paper left from someone peeing. I don't remember exactly how many we counted on Mt. Garfield Tr. but it was over 20 locations (that was without even trying to spot them, I'm sure there were many more). We discussed this amongst ourselves and others we hike with and went back and forth as to reasons. Not sure what to do with it? Not aware that it's an issue? Unaware on LNT? Keep the list going, the bottom line is take it with you! Ziplock bags are not that expensive. Maybe the Forest Service at their Franconia kiosk should hand them out and educate ladies in their need (Lots spotted on Falling Waters Tr. also). AMC could also discuss (and maybe they do) with their hikes. Whatever it takes we need to get the word out to hikers (female in this case) to pack it out.

Gryffin is an eater... which is preferable, I agree. Until he licks me, or takes a bite out of my sandwich. The AT is definitely worse than non-AT trails in terms of 'snacking opportunities' ;)

Tim

My first dog was an eater, could not break her of that habit, she rolled once, that I broke her of. My current dog does neither. I hit the jackpot with BuddyBoy.

I put my used TP into a zipped pocket in my shorts, soiled part inside the scrunched up paper (which is actually a piece of paper towel, much stronger). No need for plastic bags. I'm not afraid of my own waste.

I usually pack out trash, but draw the line at TP.
Small animals have been known to use TP for nesting material.

I just put the used TP in a plastic bag and carry it out. A non-issue.

In some places, hikers and climbers are required to carry their feces out with them... We have it easy here in the NE.

Doug

I'll preface this by saying I'm wrong a lot, and I mean A LOT. But I took Tuck's comment (Post 9 above) to mean he packs OTHER PEOPLE'S trash out, but not their toilet paper.

And this is to the dog owners. On hikes, do you bury your dog's poop, or pick it up, or neither?

Another look - I follow game trails a lot; usually deer trails. I constantly come across piles and piles of deer poop. I certainly don't spend any time burying it...

I suppose that this is pretty topical, so here goes. I spent parts of two summers walking and working in Spain and France on the Camino de Santiago Compostela. Paper flowers are a huge problem on those routes since about the only place that has public toilet would be a bar or restaurant. No privies over there. Couple that with the large masses of Pilgrims walking daily and you find fields and fields of white flowers. After much discussion with my fellow workers and compatriots we came to the conclusion that most of the enduring flowers were actually facial tissues like Kleenex. True toilet paper seemed to melt away fairly rapidly in wet weather as it is designed to do in a septic system. Facial tissue on the other hand it seems, is designed for durability. Just food for thought I guess.