Tom, Field & Willey - Avalon, AZ, Tom Spur, Willey Range & Avalon trails - 9/6/2015

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
Tom, Field & Willey - Avalon, AZ, Tom Spur, Willey Range & Avalon trails - 9/6/2015

Date of Hike: Sunday Sept. 6, 2015

Trail Conditions: dry, even the first brook crossing was barely a trickle one of the ones on Tom were dry enough a couple was wondering if the brook bed was the trail. No downed trees that were noteworthy.

Special Equipment Required: a camera and sunscreen. A beautiful day in the mountains. Barely a bug to be seen or heard buzzing around my head. They have been much worse in CT in the evenings after work. Maybe it's the time of day or maybe up high they'd had some cold weather already.

Comments: Got to Crawford Notch about 9:10 and the lots were full but plenty of parking along the road. I was down by the Jackson lot. By the time I came out around 4:15 it was evident that both sides of 302 had been used as a lot. Saw several people but never really felt busy. I imagine with the good weather, many headed up the Presidentials. My 1st time (out of five total) on Willey where I could see more than 100 feet. The view from the outlook ledge looking into Crawford Notch is well worth the trip on a good day. Next time I'll try out going up the steep side. I haven't been since the trail work a couple (few?) years ago. Forgot how rocky the Willey Range trail is between Field and Willey. Did check and the last four times before Sunday had been up when there was snow above 3,000 feet or lower. (April, Feb 2x and Dec.) Willey I'll do dry but the next Field trip likely will be in the snow again.

Mike P
[email protected]

-------------------------

Last edited: