Road near LOJ

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Sikes

Reaction score
There used to be a road near LOJ that you could camp. Is that still there and is it still free? Also, I noticed or it seems that you don't have to hike a couple of the mountains in the catskills to do your ADK...has that changed?

Last edited:
Also, I noticed or it seems that you don't have to hike a couple of the mountains in the catskills to do your ADK...has that changed?
You need to hike Slide and Hunter in the Catskills for your Northeast 115, but they've never been part of the ADK 46.

Correct, to expand on David's reply, the Adirondack Org's Firetower Challenge also has you hiking 5 of the 5 Catskill firetowers but that is not the same list as the 46er list (or the NE 115)

As per the OP's other question, I presume you are talking about South Meadow Rd which has some popular car camping sites on it....

Jay

And yes, Meadow Lane (The South Meadow Road) is still open and the campsites are free - I believe it's first come first served.

The road closes in the winter; Jersey barriers are placed to block it. I'm not sure of the dates, but it's open right now and popular. It's used for overflow parking and camping. Also, some prefer to park there to avoid the ADK Loj parking fee.

Thanks...that is why we hiked some in the Castskill. I couldn't remember why but knew we needed them.