USFS removing Rocky Branch Shelter #2

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw reference to this on Facebook today too, but no details. Poster made it sound like shelter was basically falling over so whether it is still there or not it is probably unusable anyway.

Saw reference to this on Facebook today too, but no details. Poster made it sound like shelter was basically falling over so whether it is still there or not it is probably unusable anyway.

That shelter only needed a few repairs to the roof. In no way was it falling over. I was there last December and we thought about staying there on our second attempt at Isolation. It's a damn shame to see a historic building like these back country shelters destroyed.. Only to be replaced with more AMC Huts that concentrate trail use and attract unprepared/uneducated hikers.

Just my opinion.

These shelters were planned for removal when this area was designated "Wilderness" Its a testament to the structure that it lasted so long. The goal all along is to go with dispersed camping in wilderness areas or in some cases in highly impacted spots in wilderness, they go with designated tent spots. IMHO Unlike a bridge that's needed for immediate safety concerns a shelter is nicety.

That shelter only needed a few repairs to the roof. In no way was it falling over. I was there last December and we thought about staying there on our second attempt at Isolation. It's a damn shame to see a historic building like these back country shelters destroyed.. Only to be replaced with more AMC Huts that concentrate trail use and attract unprepared/uneducated hikers.

Just my opinion.

It does seem as though the elimination of shelters (many, many!) just forces people to go to the ($$$$$) huts.

Am I the only one who finds the tent pads (with rocks around them, elevated, spreading over much larger footprints!) to be just as "offensive" as shelters (which weren't offensive to me at least)????

It does seem as though the elimination of shelters (many, many!) just forces people to go to the ($$$$$) huts.

Am I the only one who finds the tent pads (with rocks around them, elevated, spreading over much larger footprints!) to be just as "offensive" as shelters (which weren't offensive to me at least)????

Yah I don't see the real difference. They're both artificial structures with similar footprints. The shelters seem to allow for more people per square foot which I'd think would be better for minimizing impact. I'd rather see nothing personally. If you're going out into the Wilderness you should be roughing it 100%.

I don't think that shelters and huts appeal to the same set of people, so I doubt that's a concern or a consideration. The FS is removing the shelters, not the AMC.

I don't have an opinion on the offensiveness of either, but the maintenance work for tent pads are much lower than for a shelter. And it's much easier to close an overused tent pad and create a new one, helping to disperse usage in the Wilderness Areas.

I don't think that shelters and huts appeal to the same set of people, so I doubt that's a concern or a consideration.

I've stayed in many shelters, but never a hut. I mainly use them in shoulder season though, as I prefer to avoid crowds. I've used Gray Knob a couple times in early spring, but people don't tend to gripe about the RMC it seems.

I stayed in huts, shelters, campsites, bootleg campsites and an unplanned bivuoac. My philosophy is, when cost is not of concern, stay at the most confortable and convenient place possible on any given hike. Out of some sort of compulsion, I would try out any new hut but won't miss it if they never build it.

The backcountry huts in the Canadian Rockies are much more expensive than the AMC but I believe the Maine huts offer better value than AMC but it all about location location location.