Side-Lined

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summitseeker

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I thought I would start a thread about being side-lined from hiking.

How long have you been out of commission or had to take time off from hiking?

June 6th was my last 4K, but I know there are others who have had injuries or recovery times that far exceed that duration. Hopefully we can support fellow Views members in their efforts to get back in the game.

Thanks,

Z :D

I sprained a finger during a hike that took 9 months to finally go down enough so that I could comfortably put my wedding ring back on it. But that didn't sideline me. The only time I have really taken off from hiking was just over a month when my daughter was born. I only worked and helped my wife out during that period. Then my wife was nice enough to let me back out of the house.

I've had a couple maladies. In 2003 I suffered bilateral retinal detachments. One was a full macula off and the other was a significant horse shoe tear. Had surgery for both the next day in hopes of saving bilateral vision. Anesthesiologist let my BP drop to low and I lost blood flow to the non macula off eye (which should have been my good eye) and I lost all sight in that eye. Other eye survived but I had two more detachments in the succeeding months and was laid up for about 7 months. Was tough coming back since the one eye meant no depth perception and all the trauma and scaring to the remaining eye dramatically limited the remaining vision. Over the years have had to deal with subsequent cataract formation and surgery, clouding of the new lens, YAG to clear the lens and even another detachment all of which lay me up for a month or so. Have been able to complete a couple more rounds of the 4Ks despite the setbacks.

Have also had the pleasure of a inguinal hernia. Had a great surgeon who got me in real quick, did a great job and I was back on the trails and ski slopes within a month.

It's all part of life. No sense getting upset. There is always someone worse off.

It's all part of life. No sense getting upset. There is always someone worse off.

Boy, isn't that that the truth!

I've had a couple aches and pains, mostly connective tissue stuff: separated shoulder, torn meniscus, blown finger ligament, etc. All pretty minor on the scale of this thread, although the knee did keep me out of hiking for a couple months. I had a lot of home projects to complete - smile and get work done!

And I have discovered that anytime I am about to complain about something, God sends someone in a wheelchair for me to see. Almost immediately, like when I'm halfway through a sentence about how my knee hurts, the wheelchair just shows up. It's really impressive, and I have learned from it.

Boy, isn't that that the truth!

I've had a couple aches and pains, mostly connective tissue stuff: separated shoulder, torn meniscus, blown finger ligament, etc. All pretty minor on the scale of this thread, although the knee did keep me out of hiking for a couple months. I had a lot of home projects to complete - smile and get work done!

And I have discovered that anytime I am about to complain about something, God sends someone in a wheelchair for me to see. Almost immediately, like when I'm halfway through a sentence about how my knee hurts, the wheelchair just shows up. It's really impressive, and I have learned from it.

Hi There TCD,

I had a similar experience this summer while at PT. The man had suffered a spinal chord injury and moments before he entered the clinic I had been complaining about my nagging injuries. I literally almost choked on my words and the world was put back into perspective.

Being able to complete my last five hundred highest 4 months after meniscus surgery is something I am so grateful for. I did what the PT told me, and didn't do what they told me not to do. I didn't do any significant hiking for at least two months. My knee was sore after hiking but I expected that and I have a touch of arthritis as well.

Now I am wondering if even that was too much. I am 6 months out and my knee is continually sore and achy. I am not in pain per se, its just a nagging soreness even though I still do many of my PT exercises. Some say it takes a full year, maybe so. Needless to say I am disappointed I am not in a position to run on a treadmill or do back to back hikes. Going back to my ortho in a month, just to make sure I didn't bang something else. I was in much better shape 3 months out, now it doesn't feel any better than it did prior to the surgery. Perhaps it is the go-go-go hiker in me that is impatient.

Im another thread (Hips), I mentioned exiting the 100 mile, but not continuing to Ktaadn due to sore hips. Now looking at hip replacement. And since Ktaadn was last of NE4k - wait till next year?

Hi There TCD,

I had a similar experience this summer while at PT. The man had suffered a spinal chord injury and moments before he entered the clinic I had been complaining about my nagging injuries. I literally almost choked on my words and the world was put back into perspective.

Life has a way of doing that.

Last week a friend gave herself a nasty cut on her finger, the kind that was impacting just about everything she touched and constantly throbbing. She felt pretty bad about it until a man came in to her place of business with one arm and a smile.

Broke my ankle hiking in April so that sided lined me. Being 62, putting extra strain on my opposite leg, then stumbling on a steep grade at work in July, I now have a Meniscus tear, strained ACL, and a Bakers Cyst, in the opposite knee. Having surgery the 24th. I've only done a handful of easy hikes since April. No idea when or if I'll be back to 100%.

Broke my ankle hiking in April so that sided lined me. Being 62, putting extra strain on my opposite leg, then stumbling on a steep grade at work in July, I now have a Meniscus tear, strained ACL, and a Bakers Cyst, in the opposite knee. Having surgery the 24th. I've only done a handful of easy hikes since April. No idea when or if I'll be back to 100%.

Sorry Joe, about your accident. I feel bad. When you recover from your surgery, I know of a couple of awesome smaller mts. that you can try hiking to help get you back in shape. The two Uncanoonuc mts. (north & south) . They`re short but fairly steep peaks in Goffstown,NH. You can hike one or both. They also have quite a few different trails leading to the top of each for variety. I like to go there when I don`t have time to get to the White Mts. (sort of like a fix for my hiking addiction) .

3 Novembers ago, I dislocated my right thumb, and separated my left shoulder (early Killington turns). It kept me off of the more difficult hikes until the following spring, but didn't totally shut me down. Pretty minor, compared to some of your stories.

I'm super late coming to this party (sorry!) but I've not been hiking for a while - tore my meniscus and ACL in July 2014. One surgery in Sep '14, had to delay 2nd until July '15. My first post-injury hike was Jan 3, '16 to Bridal Veil Falls. It's been torture. I KNOW that there are people who are way worse off than me...and I really do feel badly for them...but that doesn't actually make me feel any better. I guess I'm not so good at perspective :-(
I'm starting to look for trails that are relatively safe so that eventually I'll be able to get back to where I used to be...I miss walking in the woods and up and down mountains.

I`ve been out of commission since Oct. 17th. I hurt my knee coming down from Eisenhower. I`ve been doing more gentle hikes in conservation areas close to home. I just today did my first hike up and down the two Uncanoonucs. I had a little pain, on the descent, but not bad. I`m psyched. Hopefully, I`ll be able to do some higher elevations soon. :)

Hi All,

I thought I would share something with you all in the hopes that if you experience these symptoms you don't overlook this often disguised injury. Some of my previous hiking partners are aware that I haven't been able to do any higher summits in quite some type. To get straight to the point, this all started with what presented as pain and injury to my hamstrings. From there it got worse and then it presented as a high hamstring tendinopathy. After 7 months of PT and daily stretching I moved and found another PT service closer to my new home. After two visits we pretty much confirmed that this has been an issue with the sciatic nerve all along. Once I stopped the hamstring stretches which were exacerbating the issue, I began to feel much better immediately. This was overlooked by my ortho doc as well, so it isn't always as obvious as one might think.

Here is an article and an image that shows how close the tendon is to the glute.
http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/sciatica/sciatic-nerve-and-sciatica

I hope this helps for someone else out there. :D

Z

I'm super late coming to this party (sorry!) but I've not been hiking for a while - tore my meniscus and ACL in July 2014. One surgery in Sep '14, had to delay 2nd until July '15. My first post-injury hike was Jan 3, '16 to Bridal Veil Falls. It's been torture. I KNOW that there are people who are way worse off than me...and I really do feel badly for them...but that doesn't actually make me feel any better. I guess I'm not so good at perspective :-(
I'm starting to look for trails that are relatively safe so that eventually I'll be able to get back to where I used to be...I miss walking in the woods and up and down mountains.

It's never too late. I found one hike that is great for hikers in recovery mode. Blueberry Mountain Trail is pretty well-mannered trail. Portions follow logging road. Lots of nice open ledge terrain with nice views of west side Moosilauke. There are tons of other trails. My injury has provided me with reasons to explore lower summits and trails.

During the years of knee issues I backed off and didn't do any during the winter. I've had 2 total knee replacements.. spaced over 2 yrs and not at once.. after 4 weeks from each surgery I was hiking again... choosing hikes that would do therapy on me.. Started on Artist Bluff... and worked my way from there... now after almost 2 years on my last TKR I am doing up[ 7 miles and 2400 ft gain.. with no after or during pain. Did all the 48K's etc. way back and got tired of them and all the people... now do many hikes off the common grid..quiet and the dog has free roam.
But during the years just before the surgery's and during I would drop out of hiking in the winter months and go snow mobileing. Due to pain in walking and in the snow it's worse. Love snow mobileing....during the week head off into the Great North Woods... for hundreds of miles a day. No one on the trails and into places many can't walk into.
Now this winter I just kept hiking... did some snow machine riding ... I will do both next season if snow allows it.

Partial tear in ankle tendon on a hike in Sept. Boots of diminishing size, cortisone, PT 3x a week, new orthotics. Just as I was starting back caught the flu a little over a week ago so a bunch of the slow rebuilding on hold. Lots of people a lot worse off than me though.

Partial tear in ankle tendon on a hike in Sept. Boots of diminishing size, cortisone, PT 3x a week, new orthotics. Just as I was starting back caught the flu a little over a week ago so a bunch of the slow rebuilding on hold. Lots of people a lot worse off than me though.

Hi Peakbagr,

I hope you are able to get out there for the better half of the shoulder season (Although, obviously, I have no idea what your recovery time table looks like). On the bright side the only good thing about being banged up this time of year is avoiding some the mess that April hiking affords.

Be well (better)

Z :D