Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hips

Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kennebago Divide
    Update on my recovery. I put W48 list on far back burner due to hip problems. I haven't been doing any big mountain hikes this winter much exceeding 2000' elevation gain, but I have been getting out steadily. I'd mostly written off bagging the Presidential peaks I have left to do, but I decided to try Washington on Sunday when weather window opened up. I was able to do the whole 10 mile slightly under 4000' elevation gain enchilada to chalk up one more peak to my winter 4K list. Beautiful feeling 6 months post-surgery. Thanks to Daylight Savings time change I took my time, stopped frequently to rest and take in the views and thank the lord for a second chances. I had some knee pain a month or 2 ago, but it resolved itself when I dropped doing the deep lunge exercises the PT gave me. Perhaps I was a bit too zealous. I still don't have range of motion of the good hip (which also shows arthritis in x-rays) but all is well here.
    Last edited by Jazzbo; 03-21-2017 at 07:29 PM.
    On #67 of NE67
    On #99 of NEHH
    On #46 of WNH48

An atom walked up to me and said "i think I've lost an electron"
    I said "are you sure?"
    It reply "I'm positive."

Did I bump into you? I went up Ammo to Monroe, over to Washington, down the cog to around Westside, then Gulfside to Jewell. From Washington down I was wearing a bright orange shell and a red pack (with a pad in a bright yellow stuff sack); my opposite number was carrying a pack as big as her.

What a day to be out.

Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kennebago Divide
    Quote Originally Posted by jniehof View Post
    Did I bump into you? I went up Ammo to Monroe, over to Washington, down the cog to around Westside, then Gulfside to Jewell. From Washington down I was wearing a bright orange shell and a red pack (with a pad in a bright yellow stuff sack); my opposite number was carrying a pack as big as her.

What a day to be out.
    I encountered a number of happy couples. You may have been one of them. My GPS track shows I arrived at summit 1:45 and departed summit 2:20. I stopped at one of Clay spurs to chill for another 30-45 mins because it offers nice view of summit and head wall of Great Gulf. I didn't start back down Jewell until 4 or so. I was carrying a red pack with matching red MSR's strapped to the side. I definitely enjoyed the televators on climb up, but wore Hillsounds rest of the time. I was happy to find the trail in good shape not trashed by post-holers.

Was your opposite number with the big pack carrying the emergency gear? Sounds like good example of Norman Chivalry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NORMAN CHIVALRY.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	5789
    Last edited by Jazzbo; 03-23-2017 at 07:42 PM.
    On #67 of NE67
    On #99 of NEHH
    On #46 of WNH48

An atom walked up to me and said "i think I've lost an electron"
    I said "are you sure?"
    It reply "I'm positive."

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzbo View Post
    My GPS track shows I arrived at summit 1:45 and departed summit 2:20.
    We came off the summit about 1:15 so I'm pretty sure we bumped into you coming up the cog; we switched from the summit side to the Gulf side of the tracks just before talking to you. I was carrying all the emergency gear that I knew of but the lady 1) only has a summer day pack or a winter overnight pack, nothing in between 2) probably snuck some stuff in that she didn't let me know about lest I insist on carrying it. I was still in full goggles since I kept on expected to hit the wind on that side of the mountain.

Looked like you were moving at a relentlessly steady pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzbo View Post
    Update on my recovery. I put W48 list on far back burner due to hip problems. I haven't been doing any big mountain hikes this winter much exceeding 2000' elevation gain, but I have been getting out steadily. I'd mostly written off bagging the Presidential peaks I have left to do, but I decided to try Washington on Sunday when weather window opened up. I was able to do the whole 10 mile slightly under 4000' elevation gain enchilada to chalk up one more peak to my winter 4K list. Beautiful feeling 6 months post-surgery. Thanks to Daylight Savings time change I took my time, stopped frequently to rest and take in the views and thank the lord for a second chances. I had some knee pain a month or 2 ago, but it resolved itself when I dropped doing the deep lunge exercises the PT gave me. Perhaps I was a bit too zealous. I still don't have range of motion of the good hip (which also shows arthritis in x-rays) but all is well here.
    6 months is still early for total recovery as far as I'm concerend.. as you might remember I had TKR's two years apart.. and I found it takes at least a year from post op to feel at a point it has worked out.. Hips they say are not as bad as TKR's but still... major surgery. I think once spring comes and you get out this summer by next fall you should be good for next winter.. Spring Summer temps etc make it so much easier to move about during the week ..hiking,etc. coupled with 1/2 of your healing behind you ..

My knees have been great.. should of did it years before instead of dealing with pain and losing a quality of life I like. With the science of revision surgery progressed far ahead these days no need to wait until one is old a frail.

On a side note I need my shoulder done but due to my work lifting heavy pieces my surgeon said he'd advise against it.. don't understand how or why yet but for now it's on hold.. lot's of pain I get there in the right shoulder bond on bone..

I may be looking at a second (this time R hip) sooner than I had planned. Wooppie.

However, have had NO issues with the L, and that was 1.5 years ago.