Herdpath Beta for Wildcat

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driver8

Reaction score
West Hartford, CT (Photo: Sages Ravine, Salisbury,
I recently climbed Wildcat D via the dirt road along the Polecat ski trails. With an eye to bagging A, on the climb, I looked for herdpaths between the ski trails and the Wildcat Ridge Trail on the east shoulder of D, the better, on return, not to reclimb D unless necessary. I saw a couple of candidates, one, per MyAltitude app, at about 3700' the other at a bend around 3900', the latter maybe 0.1 from the gondola at the top end of the lift.

I peeked into each, and the 3700' spot looked pretty herd-pathy, though unbrushed and pretty narrow. I was less confident of the upper one. Any info on these possible herd paths? More info on the two spots:

3700' spot, at 44*15'11.43" North, 71*13'23.56" West, pointing in direction possible path leads away from the ski trail (SSE):
11802556_10207810172555213_8621985457576594740_o.jpg

3900' spot is at 44*15'02.7" North, 71*13'22.72" West. The tempting thing about this spot is that it's very close to the AT corridor, from a look at Google Earth. Minimal bushwhack, maybe 150'. No photo of this spot.

The upper spot had a sign warning that this was the edge of the ski area, and the lower spot may have, too. I inferred that could mean these were herd paths.

I'm planning to climb A sometime, and considering one route to be ski-trails ---> herd path ----> WRT and back. Plausible or tomfoolery? Any advice or info most appreciated.

Last edited:
I just did an out and back of D>A via Polecat friday. A few years back I was shown a bushwhack that started just before the reclimb of D and came out on Polecat. Friday I checked out a small herd path in that area and followed it a short distance through a small campsite and past a single piece of flagging tape but it ultimately got thick and I decided the time I was spending poking around was more than what it would take to simple reclimb D. :)

Signs like that are common in ski areas, intended to keep skiers from exploring out of ski area bounds where ski patrol isn't.

Last edited:
I just did an out and back of D>A via Polecat friday. A few years back I was shown a bushwhack that started just before the reclimb of D and came out on Polecat. Friday I checked out a small herd path in that area and followed it a short distance through a small campsite and past a single piece of flagging tape but it ultimately got thick and I decided the time I was spending poking around was more than what it would take to simple reclimb D. :)

Signs like that are common in ski areas, intended to keep skiers from exploring out of ski area bounds where ski patrol isn't.

Thanks so much, una_dogger. Do you recall what elevation, or elevation-ish, the bushwhack you were shown was, where it meets the WRT? 3900-ish, or more 3700-ish, near the col? Had you climbed some of the way from the col, but took the whack right where the trail hits the steeper pitch of the nob of the cone? Also, when you did the bushwhack back a few years, do you recall it being short, 100-200 feet, or more like a quarter mile?

As for the signs, there were periodic "edge of ski area" signs all along the climb, but the two, iirc, near the two possible bushwhacks were more detailed and emphatic. Seemed to me to indicate possible "forbidden" side trails, rather than just "hey, be careful not to wander outside the property line."

At 3900'+ at a bend in the Polecat Trail, you can sneak through the woods to pick up the Wildcat Ridge Trail. I have only done it this way in winter.

attachment.php

Tim

Attachments

• wd.jpg
    wd.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 480
I've never done Wildcat this way and my I would like to try it. Driver8 mentions a road, Sabrina mentions the Polecat trail, is there a difference? Am I to understand that you just follow the PCST to the ridge, pick up the WRT, bag the two peaks then reverse out same way? Is this a favorable route over the WRT from lost pond? Thanks.

I've never done Wildcat this way and my I would like to try it. Driver8 mentions a road, Sabrina mentions the Polecat trail, is there a difference? Am I to understand that you just follow the PCST to the ridge, pick up the WRT, bag the two peaks then reverse out same way? Is this a favorable route over the WRT from lost pond? Thanks.

You start at the base of the ski area. The gravel road starts at the base of the main gondola and follows the polecat ski trails that Sabrina and I mentioned (northeastward/leftward as you climb). Pretty easily discernible in Google Earth. Takes you to the top of the ski gondola, then a short 0.1 on WRT to summit. Given the WRT's reputation from Pinkham, no doubt an easier route. From D, follow WRT to A and back. The bushwhack Tim points out spares you 150 feet or so of reclimb of D and maybe 0.2 distance on the return trip.

Nice views all the way up, mostly of Washington, Adams, Madison and the Peabody River Valley. Nice wildflowers in summer, $10 hiking pass fee in season, none off-season.

Last edited:
During "winter operations" please be aware that

1) No dogs, period.
2) People must have a $10 uphill access pass

Unless they somehow reverse the policy of the past few winters... I plan to take Gryffin out/back from 19MBT in winter.

Tim

You start at the base of the ski area. The gravel road starts at the base of the main gondola and follows the polecat ski trails (northeastward/leftward as you climb). Pretty easily discernible in Google Earth. Takes you to the top of the ski gondola.

On the off chance someone not familiar with Wildcat reads this for winter Beta, it's only a Gondola in the off-season. In winter it's a chairlift. :)

Last edited:
You start at the base of the ski area. The gravel road starts at the base of the main gondola and follows the polecat ski trails that Sabrina and I mentioned (northeastward/leftward as you climb). Pretty easily discernible in Google Earth. Takes you to the top of the ski gondola, then a short 0.1 on WRT to summit. Given the WRT's reputation from Pinkham, no doubt an easier route. From D, follow WRT to A and back. The bushwhack Tim points out spares you 150 feet or so of reclimb of D and maybe 0.2 distance on the return trip.

Nice views all the way up, mostly of Washington, Adams, Madison and the Peabody River Valley. Nice wildflowers in summer, $10 hiking pass fee in season, none off-season.

Thanks, this hike just got bumped up on my list. Driver8 what was your RT time?

We did this hike in July (31st) and used the route you discuss. Enjoyed the roads and ski trails up (great views when you turn around) and then up to D and over to A. On the way over we marked some possible whacks/herdpaths to the ski trial without going over D again. The path we took was about 3900 as you suspected (and Tim did in winter). If you follow it a bit, it swings around the shoulder and then you find lots of man made evidence...in the form of beer cans, which I suspect skiers toss (as there is a slight bump in from the ski trail which would be a good, "safe" place to stop on your downhill run). The woods were open so an easy whack even if you don't hit the herd path. We enjoyed this way much more than 19MB to A then D. As stated no cost (the attendants running the gondola were very helpful) in the off season.

1:15 to Wildcat D
1:30 to Wildcat A
1:29 to Wildcat D (lost time checking out herd path)
1:15 to car

5:30 out and back total including breaks, which were brief

I started at 11:15 am and was back at my car before 5pm

The path we took was about 3900 as you suspected (and Tim did in winter). If you follow it a bit, it swings around the shoulder and then you find lots of man made evidence...in the form of beer cans, which I suspect skiers toss (as there is a slight bump in from the ski trail which would be a good, "safe" place to stop on your downhill run). The woods were open so an easy whack even if you don't hit the herd path. We enjoyed this way much more than 19MB to A then D. As stated no cost (the attendants running the gondola were very helpful) in the off season.

Thanks, much, Krobi. Very helpful.