Baxter Backpack - Russell Pond/Wassataquoik Lake Island/Davis Pond

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaze

Reaction score
A few shots from our Labor Day weekend hike in Baxter. I was a bit slow going through the photos and posting them after I got home... =)

Sandy Stream Pond
p1477440384-4.jpg

Russell Pond
p1477448961-4.jpg

Green Falls
p1477458269-4.jpg

Wassataquoik Lake
p1477461362-4.jpg

Davis Pond
p1477470265-4.jpg

Carnivorous (insect-eating) sundew plant, Davis Pond
p1477474562-4.jpg

Northwest Basin Trail
p1477478161-4.jpg

Katahdin summit from Hamlin Peak
p1477502640-4.jpg

It was a wonderful trip. I'm happy with these pics and the rest of them (gallery, slideshow) but there's no doing justice to the place in photos. Looking forward to getting back there in October!

Thanks for looking,
Jonathan

Great shots, I was heading north on the Northern Peaks trail on Sunday, I expect you were hiking up Northwest basin on Monday?

Great shots, I was heading north on the Northern Peaks trail on Sunday, I expect you were hiking up Northwest basin on Monday?

Thank you! Correct, we hiked Wass. Island=>Davis Pond on Monday, Davis Pond=>Roaring Brook on Tuesday. Sorry we missed you!

Thanks for sharing! Brings back great memories of several great trips to the Russell Pond area.

I asked around a bit and none of the park staff knew anything of the two new backpacking trails North of the Katahdin. One will run from the new Center Pond Lean to between Fort and Mullen Annis brook and connect up with the NW basin trail. The other one will extend the dead end spur off the Katahdin Lake trail between North and South Turner to the Wassatquoilk Stream Trail. If and when they get built they are really going open up some nicer longer backpacking loops.

The other one will extend the dead end spur off the Katahdin Lake trail between North and South Turner to the Wassatquoilk Stream Trail.
I think it might go over N. Turner. That one's 'whackable, but I've never been up.