Beaver Brook Trail question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In terms of difficulty, steepness, and slippery conditions, how does the Beaver Brook Trail compare to other trails with similar issues in the White Mountains, for example, the Fishin' Jimmy Trail, the Wildcat Ridge Trail from Pinkham Notch, the Falling Waters Trail, the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail, or the Mt Osceola Trail up East Osceola?

I realize not all of these have pinned steps, and none of them have iron bar handholds that I remember, but just how tough is this trail for an experienced hiker with a small dog? I should add that, despite her size (she's an 18-lb Cockapoo), my dog is a great climber and had no trouble on the Fishin' Jimmy pinned steps (both up and down), the rough and eroded Hancock Loop Trail, rapidly descending the Mt Osceola Trail to the Greeley Pond Trail.

I've climbed all of these aforementioned trails before, and also the steep but not wet Huntington Ravine Trail (without my dog), as well as the King Ravine Trail (with my dog). It's the combination of the wet and slippery conditions, the pinned steps coupled with handholds, and of course, the trail's reputation.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Been up and down it several times, twice with a border collie. The dog does better than me!

the Fishin' Jimmy Trail, the Wildcat Ridge Trail from Pinkham Notch, the Falling Waters Trail, the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail, or the Mt Osceola Trail up East Osceola

Yes, similar to many of these. It's a sustained uphill, but most of it is not difficult at all. There are a couple short sections where the trail is on rocks just above the stream and a fall would be bad news, so do be cautious in slippery conditions, but anywhere you need one, you'll find an iron hand-hold or wooden step. Never heard of a dog having any trouble.

The trail itself is a lot drier than its stream-side location might suggest. Much of the ravine is steep enough that the trail is several feet above the water (hence, a few spots where you need to watch your step). Also, the trail is very actively mainained, so drainage is excellent.

In terms of difficulty, steepness, and slippery conditions, how does the Beaver Brook Trail compare to other trails with similar issues in the White Mountains, for example, the Fishin' Jimmy Trail, the Wildcat Ridge Trail from Pinkham Notch, the Falling Waters Trail, the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail, or the Mt Osceola Trail up East Osceola?

It's the combination of the wet and slippery conditions, the pinned steps coupled with handholds, and of course, the trail's reputation.

Hi Paul,

Probably obvious I'm sure, but ascending it may be easier than descending. When dry, it's no harder than any of those other trails you listed (I've gone up and down the ones you listed).

As you suggested, the one difference with the BBT is when this one is wet and you are descending, a couple of the pinned steps require a committed step over a distance, that although not much when dry, looks different when you think your foot could slide. Tim is 6'3" IIRC...I'm 5'9"...that's an important difference in 2-3 spots if it's slippery on the descent.

You tall Paul?

Have fun - great trail!

Just out of curiosity, and just in case I get a dog ... which, having followed dog hiking adventures, would definitely trend me towards a good hiking dog companion ... if I ever got a dog ... not saying I will but, if ... what maintenance, care or effect do the trails have upon their claws? Not to hijack this thread ... just link me to another if this has been discussed ... but the dog's interest seemed a big consideration in the OP.

I assume you are talking to me. I haven't cut Gryffin's nails in two years... except occasionally I do trim the dew claw. The rest stay ground down from road walking and hiking. Conditions on the ground are more likely to affect their pads. Maybe Una Dogger is reading this and will chime in...

Tim

10513502_10152615518414780_7529537075135456387_n.jpg

Here's a photo... Stolen shamelessly from Chris Dailey.

Tim

Thanks for all the help. I'm going to hike it with my dog, Patches, tomorrow. It's been pretty dry lately and tomorrow is supposed to be another nice day.

Patches is working on her 4000 footers. Tomorrow will be number 15. She just turned 2 this summer. Our dog Muffin, who died in 2013 at the age of 16, finished her 4000 Footers in 2006. Like Patches, Muffin was also a Cockapoo, and was always a great climber.

We have never done anything special with her toenails, but they do get trimmed regularly. Patches has not had footpad problems so far, but Muffin's pads used to get roughed up in the Northern Presidentals. She wouldn't keep booties on. Maybe Patches will. Mt Madison seems to have particularly sharp rocks.

Last edited:
Relative to the trails you mentioned, I'd say that the steep section of Beaver Brook (pretty much the first half-mile) is most similar in character to the steep section of Fishin Jimmy. There's some steep ledge to deal with, but the placement of steps and rungs pretty much removes the 'scrambly' qualities. In wet conditions, you just need to be extra careful/deliberate with foot placement. The nice thing about a small dog is that there's an easy carry option if any short section daunts her.

Alex

The only time I would caution anyone on the Beaver Brook trail is when it's there is ice on it, then it can be tough if your not used to steep ice. I do not find it hard to descend at all. My dog loves it due to the water nearby. Like Tim, I never cut my dogs nails. They do get cleaned up when he is groomed about twice a year, but there is not much to cut. 20+ road miles a week, plus hiking, they stay filed down and sharp, built in crampons.:eek: As far someone getting a dog, the most rewarding addition you can add to your life, ( can you tell I'm single;)

My dog, Patches, and I did hike the Beaver Brook Trail last Friday, both up and down. The steep section wasn't bad at all; in fact, the falls and cascades made the trip rather pleasant. I can see how it would be more difficult under wet or especially icy conditions. A thin coating of ice on the steep ledges wouldn't give much purchase for crampons or microspikes.

The section beyond the shelter seemed, to me, rather tedious, especially along the side of Mt Jim where there are a number of rocky ups and downs. The views out over the ravine were nice though. The summit was fairly crowded, and I met several thru-hikers, mostly southbound, although there was a couple going northbound who were just doing it in sections.

Thanks for all of your replies. I'm glad we took the Beaver Brook route. I'd already been up variations of the Gorge Brook, Snapper, and Carriage Road trails several times, and it was nice to try something different.

Last edited: