Need Info on Cherry Mountain Road Camping and Jefferson Notch Road

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark

Reaction score
I am thinking of heading up soon to hike Jefferson with my sons. To get an early start, I am considering driving up to Cherry Mountain Road and camping there Friday night.

1. How early would I have to get to Cherry Mountain Road to get a site on a Friday?
  2. Is Jefferson Notch Road navigable from Rt. 302 to the trail head for Jefferson in a passenger car (i.e., not 4WD)

Thanks.

Is Jefferson Notch Road navigable from Rt. 302 to the trail head for Jefferson in a passenger car (i.e., not 4WD)
I've bombed back and forth several times in various passenger cars, mostly recently in my (late) Camry last fall. Haven't been over it this year, but wouldn't expect it to be any different...it's maintained for normal travel.

I used the notch road a couple of times with my fiesta this year. No problems.

I cant comment on Cherry Mountain road situation but expect that they do fill up quick. There are 5 spots on the north end of Jefferson Notch road that seem to be acceptable USFS undeveloped camping spots. They are not signed as such but are in use most week ends. If you are driving in from the Valley road end, the first one is on the right at the former ranger station site, the next is large gravel pit, the next is hidden by trees on a loop off the main road at a wintertime junction of a snowmachine trail. I believe if you have passed the gravel pit the next gated road on your left is opposite this spot, The next two are on the paved section of the road where the road crosses the brook a couple of times. One is on the right between the road and the stream and I cant remember any details on the other one. Some people try to camp on the south end of the road past the Cap Ridge trail. The spots are just a drainage point and are signed no camping. I have seen people who are parked at one of the stream crossings but expect they walked into the woods. One final spot is on the Mt Clinton road where the road makes a definite turn about 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile north of the Edmonds path parking lot. There is fire road that goes west and I think people walk up the road and camp. I want to explore this area as it looks like there is a pond with a dam on it that may be the Bretton Woods water supply and it may be fed by the mysterious cast iron pipe that runs along the north end of Mt Clinton road.