Finishing off the New England Hundred Highest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
"I've been a slow train coming". I had 78 of the NEHH in 2004. Then Laurie and I did a few. Years went by with no more additions to the list. I was always doing other things, but I never forgot about this formidable list. I consider it harder than the 115. There is a lot more bushwhacking and the peaks get less use, and are less accessible. Last year, Laurie lit a fire under me, and we started focusing on the list, rather than incidentally doing peaks on drive days.

So there we were, at 90. Let the marathon begin!

A few weeks ago, we did Goose Eye. Long drive on a dirt road (in a Prius!), trailed. Ok, nuff said.

Last week we did Vose Spur. We should have saved it for last, but more on that later. We found the giant rock and started up and soon found a drainage that gets lots of foot traffic. This path disappeared after a while, and we whacked straight up till we hit the ridge, where we found a herd path that took us to the talus slope. We traversed the slope with the aid of cairns and continued up to the false summit, and 1 minute later, we were at 'the chair'. Coming down we got off the herd path, so we whacked left till I saw the talus slope. Crossing near the base, Laurie fell, twisted, and got her ankle wedged between 2 rocks! :eek: I lifted the rock off, but she was in a lot of pain, all over her lower body. (You should see the bruises! :eek: ). She has an iron constitution, so after a minute or two, we slowly descended, and made it out.

The next day, we did Pierce for Flags on the 48. Been there, done that before. Never forget!

Sunday we drove to Maine for what I am calling the 7-Pack, the 6 pack, plus Elephant. Here we met ManBearPig, (henceforth MBP), who would be our guide.

Monday we took a series of logging roads to 3200 feet on the North side of Elephant, partly driving and partly walking, I forget where the drive ended. After that we started the whack. At 3400' we popped out in a clear cut! Then we walked a little farther up and begin whacking again. In short order, we were at the top. We descended to the higher clear cut in 23 minutes, and then walked back to the car on the logging roads. MBP then drove us to the trailhead for East Kennabago and we did a short hike on herd paths to the top.

Tuesday MBP drove again and we did Kennebago Divide and White Cap together, and then Cupsuptic Snow, with some of MBP's egg sandwiches in between. :D The herd paths were easy to find and follow here. The driving was long, but the ORC managed pretty well.

Wednesday we did B*******, (aka 'Unnamed' on the AMC form, aka Panther to some), from C*****. I was able to drive the Prius all the way to 3000'! After that, we took an ATV track to an undisclosed location, and then mmb masld asdf asdf asdl fasdf fas dfas and then back down the ATV track to the car. ;)

Thursday was a drive and laundry day. We also drove up to Mount Washington and took in the awesome views. It was clear and amazingly warm, 62F at the summit in mid-September!

Friday we prepared for the final peak, the dreaded Scar Ridge [queue ominous music]. We parked at Loon Ski Center and went up the left side of the slopes. Even though it was the Scottish Highland Games weekend, we were allowed to drive in and park for free. We passed the 'Summit Lodge', (which is not at the summit :confused: ), and then continued to the almost true summit of Loon where there is a ski lift. (There is a herd path that takes you to the true summit in less than 1 minute, which I took on the way back). You could take these 'left most' ski trails but they are quite steep. We dropped down just a few hundred horizontal feet over the top and found the out of bounds ski trail. Now Paradox was our guide. He had done the peak before in Winter conditions, and had a track log. This does not help as much for ascending as it does for coming down, but it was a useful tool. Scar Ridge alternates between easy and very thick. There are numerous blowdown fields (but at least no nettles!) and the pitch varies from easy to moderately steep, but no big cliffs needed to be negotiated. The track log did not save us from any of these difficulties. Paradox hiked the peak several years ago, (before Irene/Sandy (?) hit the area), and it was in Winter. Apparently, a lot can change...

It took 5 hours to get to the top, 2+ of which were the whack, (Laurie is still very sore), but we made it! 100! Woohoo! :)

The descent was aided by the track log, mostly because there are no views beyond 100 feet in the woods, but it was still arduous. The less arduous part was the 3 Pig's Ear Browns at the 'summit lodge', :D , and ice water, which was free.

So, that list is done, and I just hope Laurie never forces me to do it in Winter! :eek: :D

Thanks to all who helped along the way, most notably MBP, Paradox, J&J, Chip, and many hotels and brewpubs in New England! :D

I'll take suggestions for easy lists now! :D ;)

Darn, you missed the real fun of the traditional route up from Little East Pond, definitely a "do over" ;)

Heck getting mark out "slumming" on known summits is a rarity.

Congratulations

Great job, not sure how you did Elephant. I think we came from the south like a lot of the reports say.

Did you go over both Goose Eye summits? We are going to do that and the Baldpates again in better weather.

In fact that is our next list, the Wait for Nice Weather list.

Congratulations Tom!!! I thought you already had that. Scar...(grrr) I had 1/2 the forest in my pack. Have done it twice and can say the first time was better than the second but none were my favorite.

Great job, not sure how you did Elephant. I think we came from the south like a lot of the reports say.

Did you go over both Goose Eye summits? We are going to do that and the Baldpates again in better weather.

In fact that is our next list, the Wait for Nice Weather list.
For Elephant, we started somewhere around here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...2!3m1!1s0x4cb14369548f73a3:0x955913236257c362

For Goose Eye, we approached from the West, off of Success Pond Road. There was a junction at the top. It was actually raining, cold, and VERY windy, so I didn't stay long. My altimeter told me we were at the expected height of the summit.

There is a lot to be said to do Goose Eye via the Wright Trail from the end of the Sunday River Road in Newry Maine versus Success Pond road. The drive up Success Pond road really eats up a lot of time gong in the morning and driving back out. Plus after completing the hike you drive right past Sunday River Brewing.

For those coming from the south, the extra drive to Newry is a lot quicker than the drive up through Berlin and then over 20 miles of beat up logging road.

The actual trailhead for the Wright trail is bit hard to find for some. Its on the Bull Branch road that is accessed by driving to the end of the Sunday River Road (drive past Sunday River Ski Area, then crossing a logging bridge then taking an immediate right following Bull Branch until the road dead ends. In the summer there is a very popular stretch of the road that is used by locals to swim in Bull Branch. Folks with older guides may see references for a partial loop hike using a different route to drop down off the ridge, unless it has recently been repaired, it is closed so its and out and back. To get to the summit, I believe you need to hike south on the AT a short distance.

I haven't been up this trail in 10 plus years so more recent info should be pursued http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/me/viewreport.php?entryid=22293 Looks like its still there.

Last edited:
My wife and I climbed Goose Eye via the Wright Trail in 2012. We parked on Bull Branch Road a little ways uphill from the trailhead. Wright Trail is pretty straightforward to where it splits at a primitive camping sight. (You can stay in the streambed or along a parallel woods road for much of that stretch.)

We did the loop north to south, again the trail was very well-marked. I'd go clockwise vs. counter-clockwise to avoid some ledges in the afternoon sun but I really recommend the loop route either way. Counter-clockwise you traverse a dramatic slide then use switchbacks up to the ridge and the AT. Right goes to the Mahoosucs, left leads over some excellent boardwalks to East Goose Eye with outstanding views. Easy drop to Goose Eye and its summit, backtrack a bit to the south Wright Trail which winds through a nice forest and some ledges before descending a waterfall back to the campsite.

Route finding was never an issue. Signs marked every intersection.

Maybe because it was #99 my wife and I really enjoyed the hike and the drive back to BBQ outside Bethel.

I think the loop option is no longer open. Its too bad as the hike down and long the slide was a nice piece of trailwork. It must slide in there frequently as there were a lot of broken trees near the bottom

I forgot to mention the barbeque joint outside of Bethel, a worthy competitor to Sunday River Brewing for a post hike stop.

Congrats, Tom! I have mad respect for those of you who do this list. Not a whole lot of info available, and like you said, the peaks in general aren't hiked a lot and some of them are quite remote. I'm wrapping up my NE67 right now, but I found out from my log that I'm actually at 64/100. Interesting. Finishing the HH would likely be a long-term goal for me, though.

As for easy lists: A post on another forum mentioned the (unofficial) list of all the mountains in NE that have auto roads to the top ;)