Tecumseh view clearing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the second clearing, IIRC. There's one much lower on the logging road section of the trail. This second one is higher up after a few switchbacks, but just before the third view on the last major switchback before the Balcony. Of all the clearings, IMO this was the least useful. It mostly duplicates the first view and is much too close to the third.

That's the second clearing, IIRC. There's one much lower on the logging road section of the trail. This second one is higher up after a few switchbacks, but just before the third view on the last major switchback before the Balcony. Of all the clearings, IMO this was the least useful. It mostly duplicates the first view and is much too close to the third.

Correct. I had a picture of the larger clearing before it but it was too dim to really get any sense of the size. I don't recall a third clearing but I think I've already chronicled in detail my spotty memory for these things. :)

Just for my own FYI....what is the "Balcony"? Love when trail features have special names and I haven't heard this one before. Thanks.

Just for my own FYI....what is the "Balcony"? Love when trail features have special names and I haven't heard this one before. Thanks.
Going up GB it's a sharp turn to the left that gives you pretty unrestricted views back towards the Ravine Lodge, Franconia Ridge, and beyond. It's a rocky section with some nice stone work that ends with a view of South Peak, then turns right and hits the "Entering Alpine Zone" sign. I'm guessing it's around 4400'.

I think I know what you mean now. It was socked in fog the day I went this way but I remember a rocky climb and then a long, flat tongue or peninsula that was almost flat and went in and out of short trees and scrubby open patches before climbing the open meadow area to the summit. I suspect if it had been clear the views would have been great there. Thanks.

The sign on Tecumseh went up this summer, late July, early August. It was put there by a fellow WNMF Trail Steward Volunteer. I was told it was at the request of John Marunowski (I could have that spelling wrong). The first posted sign was on a tree, right smack dab in the middle of the newly scaped view and was poorly secured. I don't know who put the sign back a ways, on a sign board and beneath the trees, though I have my suspicions.

Ok, I have to ask. Who is John Marunowski? I was under the impression when I saw the sign, that the FS itself put it there. Why is a volunteer doing this? To be honest, I like the view but hate the sign. I mean its intrusive and threatening and in plain view while trying to enjoy the summit. I would rather see it down at the road at the start of the trail, makes no sense to put it on the summit, frankly I'm surprised the FS would allow it.

Ok, I have to ask. Who is John Marunowski? I was under the impression when I saw the sign, that the FS itself put it there. Why is a volunteer doing this? To be honest, I like the view but hate the sign. I mean its intrusive and threatening and in plain view while trying to enjoy the summit. I would rather see it down at the road at the start of the trail, makes no sense to put it on the summit, frankly I'm surprised the FS would allow it.

Tim is correct, John is the district ranger in charge of that area of the forest. And since the sign has been moved from the viewscaped area it is no longer, to my mind, an intrusion or in the way. I'm not supporting or dissing the sign or the sentiment, just pointing out that it was moved off the ledge area. Pretty sure it will not deter the offending parties, regardless of placement. Just my .02

The sign is ten ft from the summit ledge, it's on a kiosk that's 3ft tall, I do find it intrusive. The summit of a peak should be free of such signs, imo.

The sign is ten ft from the summit ledge, it's on a kiosk that's 3ft tall, I do find it intrusive. The summit of a peak should be free of such signs, imo.

I agree. Sounds like the sign is more offensive than the work intended to create the view though I do feel that such work should be done with permission and under the standards of the owner.

The Forest Service has adopted a policy of signage / sign maintenance only for cases of public safety and resource protection. This likely falls into the latter bucket.

Tim

The Forest Service has adopted a policy of signage / sign maintenance only for cases of public safety and resource protection. This likely falls into the latter bucket.

Tim

I agree and I do not dispute the need for the sign from their vantage point. I just don't agree with the location (summit) the same sign could have the same impact at the trailhead, where people normally expect a kiosk.

there is something priceless about a 7 foot high huge manmade sign proclaiming that there has been manmade view clearing going on

I don’t remember the sign being in the way of the view. I thought it was in the woods behind the summit cairn.

On October 15, anyway.

22775286132_a3c6db411e_k.jpg

22600829810_f332137775_n.jpg

I don’t remember the sign being in the way of the view. I thought it was in the woods behind the summit cairn.

On October 15, anyway.

22775286132_a3c6db411e_k.jpg

22600829810_f332137775_n.jpg

it's not in the way of the view, it's just intrusive being on the summit, imo.

Eh. I didn’t even notice it until I was leaving.

If they start setting up spy cameras, however ...

I believe they've used cameras to catch thieves breaking into cars so it wouldn't shock me if cameras got used for this.

But for the wood the make the kiosk, the sign doesn't involve the killing of dozens of trees. The view clearing, however ...

I'd rather the view then the Kiosk. AS far as killing tree's, that a time honored tradition in the Whites. Just ask John Henry.:eek: