Tecumseh view clearing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tell that to the crews clearing the new W I D E ski trails on Cannon/Mittersill that you can probably see from outer space :0

Or how about the forest service themselves who cleared this "improved" snowmobile route in the Three Ponds area. Degrading the Mt Kineo trail, and to a degree, the whole 3 Ponds experience in the process IMHO. Guess its not near a 4k or their precious Pemi Wilderness so nobody cares. Oh and it comes with a new bridge too but thats for a different thread. ;)

Attachments

• image-688947492.jpg
    image-688947492.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 148
  • image-1020285088.jpg
    image-1020285088.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
ugh -yeah, the three ponds area is QUITE unfortunate (for hikers), but, I guess it would be fun on a snow machine - ?

I'd rather the view then the Kiosk. AS far as killing tree's, that a time honored tradition in the Whites. Just ask John Henry.:eek:

I'm not sure how many trees he personally cut down, but his legacy is also a legacy of the values and incentives of the time in which he lived.

This thread has had 5800 views. Don't know if it counts nonmember views. Through word of mouth you can probably at least X's that by 5. So 25,000+. Maby more than that have heard by now. Now, you can not argue that fact that this was, and is, a illegal act. But, I wonder what the percentage of the people who now know, have returned just to see this. I came close Sunday. And, how many of those have spent money in Campton? Be it "Dunk's", gas, post hike "Booze and Vittles". Maybe stopped at Ski Fanatics to check out close-outs and or the new line of gear? And if in winter, maybe bought a half day ski pass and skied that rest of the day.

So, this could be far fetched, but not a but publicity stunt to drum-up some local business. Just a thought. :cool:

ugh -yeah, the three ponds area is QUITE unfortunate (for hikers), but, I guess it would be fun on a snow machine - ?
Haven't been there lately but I've taken beginner snowshoers and xc/bc skiers to Three Ponds via the snow machine trails. Just hope someone's more conscientious about cleaning up around the shelter. Otherwise, they werean enjoyable experiences with nothing but a few friendly encounters with snow machines.

Haven't been there lately but I've taken beginner snowshoers and xc/bc skiers to Three Ponds via the snow machine trails. Just hope someone's more conscientious about cleaning up around the shelter. Otherwise, they werean enjoyable experiences with nothing but a few friendly encounters with snow machines.

Over the years I have visited the area quite a bit... first time years ago in early spring when I got lost on the old snowmobile trails (prior to the recent work) which seemed to go straight across the swamps/bogs!!! I'm not totally clear on the work that happened over the last year or so, but, north of the ponds there has been significant clearing across the hiking trails so it was pretty confusing. As of last July, the Three Ponds Trail near Whitcher Hill was still pretty difficult to follow where it coincided with the snowmobile trail. Maybe the trail markers have been improved since then? There is a new snowmobile bridge on the east side of the 3-ponds loop (the MT Kineo Tr & Donkey Hill Cutoff Area).

Last summer we came upon a VERY unhappy pair of campers there - the guy was trying to console his girlfriend after they told us they were totally lost at that intersection despite all the signs. They were on their way out after spending the night at the shelter trying to cook hotdogs over burning paper since they couldn't start a fire..... The girl wouldn't even look us in the eye. YIKES!!!!!

Over the years I have visited the area quite a bit... first time years ago in early spring when I got lost on the old snowmobile trails (prior to the recent work) which seemed to go straight across the swamps/bogs!!! I'm not totally clear on the work that happened over the last year or so, but, north of the ponds there has been significant clearing across the hiking trails so it was pretty confusing. As of last July, the Three Ponds Trail near Whitcher Hill was still pretty difficult to follow where it coincided with the snowmobile trail. Maybe the trail markers have been improved since then? There is a new snowmobile bridge on the east side of the 3-ponds loop (the MT Kineo Tr & Donkey Hill Cutoff Area).

Last summer we came upon a VERY unhappy pair of campers there - the guy was trying to console his girlfriend after they told us they were totally lost at that intersection despite all the signs. They were on their way out after spending the night at the shelter trying to cook hotdogs over burning paper since they couldn't start a fire..... The girl wouldn't even look us in the eye. YIKES!!!!!

He got her lost, then couldn't start a fire? not exactly a keeper.:eek:

We need all the trees we can get and should be planting more wherever we can, not chopping them down.
As agreeable as that sentiment is, it is a very simplistic one.

Trees are a renewable resource, preferable to other sources of materials in several respects. They regenerate on their own; what is more conspicuous today, John Henry's work or the economic growth and opportunity it fostered for many immigrants and for the architectural legacy left behind?

Without cuts biodiversity suffers for both plant and animal life. Prior to man, wildfires accomplished that. Later, Native Americans practiced what's known today as prescribed burns. Cuts are useful in creating firebreaks.

A cut to create views is trivial compared to the mental health and perspective of a good view. Tecumseh is neither wilderness nor otherwise pristine. The mess left behind says more about the people who did it than its effect on the natural environment for, in the Northeast, the mess will compost in a generation or two.

As agreeable as that sentiment is, it is a very simplistic one.

You're entitled to your perspective, and to respect in expressing it. Let's hope others can be forgiven for preferring healthy, air filtering, soil nourishing, ground stabilizing trees to a view which can be exceeded, for the most part, from the vast swaths of cleared forest on the ski slopes nearby. Plenty of firebreak there. Not sure the hacking up of the trees at the summit is good for everyone's mental health - mileage will vary on that, to put it simply.

At least the tree hacker(s) didn't attempt a "controlled burn." Let's hope, having torn at the forest for quite a while now, he, she, or they will deem the view sufficient and feel no compulsion to hack further. Feel free, pursuant to such wisdom as you possess, to add nuance as fitting. ...

Last edited:
Let's hope others can be forgiven for preferring healthy, air filtering, soil nourishing, ground stabilizing trees

I assume those folks must be outraged by the Forest Service's helicopter landing zone cleared on Mt. Hitchcock and soon to be cleared on Carr Mountain and Mt. Cabot, which are larger clearings than the summit of Mt. Tecumseh?

I assume those folks must be outraged by the Forest Service's helicopter landing zone cleared on Mt. Hitchcock and soon to be cleared on Carr Mountain and Mt. Cabot, which are larger clearings than the summit of Mt. Tecumseh?

Why wouldn't they be? Maybe not outraged, but opposed, unless there is some strong utilitarian argument for these projects.

To mix threads a bit:

There are none happy in the world but beings who enjoy freely a vast horizon. –HENRY DAVID THOREAU

So it seems that Henry D. did not take as narrow a view of what is "utilitarian" as some. He considered vast horizons to be not only useful but essential to happiness.

I've read most of this thread and didn't see any comments about the reflective markers that were put on the trees. I've done a bit of night hiking in the last year or so, and it wasn't until a few months ago I noticed a reflective dot put on almost every other tree from the trail head to the summit. I kept looking up the trail thinking an animal was looking down at me. I certainly wasn't going to lose the trail, but it was a tremendous distraction from the natural beauty of a night hike. Does the other side from Tripoli have these markers too? I have only hiked that side once, and I may from now on. Just wondering if anyone has seen these or knew anything about their installation?

-Dan

Why wouldn't they be? Maybe not outraged, but opposed, unless there is some strong utilitarian argument for these projects.

Better radio communications for big brother is the reason. If you've been to Middle Sister you've seen the radio repeater. Also north of the East Royce summit there is one. 100' diameter swath on Signal Ridge should look nice. :(

Gotta love the feds making an amendment to their own forest plan because they couldn't figure a way to not decrease the Bicknell Thrush habitat with the project. (page 11-12)

From the WMNF page: http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/1155...i.com/11558/www/nepa/97730_FSPLT3_2466999.pdf

Last edited:
You're entitled to your perspective, and to respect in expressing it. Let's hope others can be forgiven for preferring healthy, air filtering, soil nourishing, ground stabilizing trees to a view which can be exceeded, for the most part, from the vast swaths of cleared forest on the ski slopes nearby. Plenty of firebreak there. Not sure the hacking up of the trees at the summit is good for everyone's mental health - mileage will vary on that, to put it simply.

At least the tree hacker(s) didn't attempt a "controlled burn." Let's hope, having torn at the forest for quite a while now, he, she, or they will deem the view sufficient and feel no compulsion to hack further. Feel free, pursuant to such wisdom as you possess, to add nuance as fitting. ...

There is plenty of tree's in the mountains to enjoy, you can take a walk through the forest to reap their benefits. A view at the summit provides a chance to enrich the summit experience beyond sitting in a stand of tree's. I spend more time on Tecumseh's summit, relishing the view then I would if it had no view. I fail to see how such a small cutting, that effects nobody who does not go there is such a big deal. I would suggest the new Hut proposal might warrant more energy then a simple view cutting. I think it's time to put this one to bed.

Just wondering if anyone has seen these or knew anything about their installation?
I think I first noticed these this year...even though I hike the trail before/after daylight frequently, I rarely use a headlamp on it, so they were a bit of a surprise. They appear to be popping up on quite a few trails in the state.

I would suggest the new Hut proposal might warrant more energy then a simple view cutting.
Which brings up another example; from what I've heard from a former employee, there is no USFS approval of the continued view clearing at the AMC Zealand hut.