Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Tecumseh view clearing

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
    I don’t remember the sign being in the way of the view. I thought it was in the woods behind the summit cairn.

On October 15, anyway.

it's not in the way of the view, it's just intrusive being on the summit, imo.

My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very hungry.
    Eh. I didn’t even notice it until I was leaving.

If they start setting up spy cameras, however ...

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
    Eh. I didn’t even notice it until I was leaving.

If they start setting up spy cameras, however ...
    I believe they've used cameras to catch thieves breaking into cars so it wouldn't shock me if cameras got used for this.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 6/46

West Hartford, CT (Photo: Sages Ravine, Salisbury, CT)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    I agree. Sounds like the sign is more offensive than the work intended to create the view though I do feel that such work should be done with permission and under the standards of the owner.
    But for the wood the make the kiosk, the sign doesn't involve the killing of dozens of trees. The view clearing, however ...
    NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; NEFF: 14/50; Northeast 4K: 27/115

https://www.facebook.com/Arkie.in.CT
    http://www.panoramio.com/user/5078936?show=all

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    But for the wood the make the kiosk, the sign doesn't involve the killing of dozens of trees. The view clearing, however ...
    I'd rather the view then the Kiosk. AS far as killing tree's, that a time honored tradition in the Whites. Just ask John Henry.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    I'd rather the view then the Kiosk. AS far as killing tree's, that a time honored tradition in the Whites. Just ask John Henry.
    We need all the trees we can get and should be planting more wherever we can, not chopping them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    We need all the trees we can get and should be planting more wherever we can, not chopping them down.
    tell that to the crews clearing the new W I D E ski trails on Cannon/Mittersill that you can probably see from outer space

:0
    Yay for winter!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Becca M View Post
    tell that to the crews clearing the new W I D E ski trails on Cannon/Mittersill that you can probably see from outer space :0
    Or how about the forest service themselves who cleared this "improved" snowmobile route in the Three Ponds area. Degrading the Mt Kineo trail, and to a degree, the whole 3 Ponds experience in the process IMHO. Guess its not near a 4k or their precious Pemi Wilderness so nobody cares. Oh and it comes with a new bridge too but thats for a different thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-688947492.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	5404   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-1020285088.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	5405  
    Last edited by TDawg; 11-09-2015 at 09:29 PM.

ugh -yeah, the three ponds area is QUITE unfortunate (for hikers), but, I guess it would be fun on a snow machine - ?
    Yay for winter!!!!!

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    I'm not sure how many trees he personally cut down, but his legacy is also a legacy of the values and incentives of the time in which he lived.
    | 63.8% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

This thread has had 5800 views. Don't know if it counts nonmember views. Through word of mouth you can probably at least X's that by 5. So 25,000+. Maby more than that have heard by now. Now, you can not argue that fact that this was, and is, a illegal act. But, I wonder what the percentage of the people who now know, have returned just to see this. I came close Sunday. And, how many of those have spent money in Campton? Be it "Dunk's", gas, post hike "Booze and Vittles". Maybe stopped at Ski Fanatics to check out close-outs and or the new line of gear? And if in winter, maybe bought a half day ski pass and skied that rest of the day.

So, this could be far fetched, but not a but publicity stunt to drum-up some local business. Just a thought.
    Joe

tell that to the crews clearing the new W I D E ski trails on Cannon/Mittersill that you can probably see from outer space

:0
    Chuckle. I'm sure they'll listen.

ugh -yeah, the three ponds area is QUITE unfortunate (for hikers), but, I guess it would be fun on a snow machine - ?
    Haven't been there lately but I've taken beginner snowshoers and xc/bc skiers to Three Ponds via the snow machine trails. Just hope someone's more conscientious about cleaning up around the shelter. Otherwise, they werean enjoyable experiences with nothing but a few friendly encounters with snow machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Haven't been there lately but I've taken beginner snowshoers and xc/bc skiers to Three Ponds via the snow machine trails. Just hope someone's more conscientious about cleaning up around the shelter. Otherwise, they werean enjoyable experiences with nothing but a few friendly encounters with snow machines.
    Over the years I have visited the area quite a bit... first time years ago in early spring when I got lost on the old snowmobile trails (prior to the recent work) which seemed to go straight across the swamps/bogs!!! I'm not totally clear on the work that happened over the last year or so, but, north of the ponds there has been significant clearing across the hiking trails so it was pretty confusing. As of last July, the Three Ponds Trail near Whitcher Hill was still pretty difficult to follow where it coincided with the snowmobile trail. Maybe the trail markers have been improved since then? There is a new snowmobile bridge on the east side of the 3-ponds loop (the MT Kineo Tr & Donkey Hill Cutoff Area).

Last summer we came upon a VERY unhappy pair of campers there - the guy was trying to console his girlfriend after they told us they were totally lost at that intersection despite all the signs. They were on their way out after spending the night at the shelter trying to cook hotdogs over burning paper since they couldn't start a fire..... The girl wouldn't even look us in the eye. YIKES!!!!!
    Yay for winter!!!!!

Over the years I have visited the area quite a bit... first time years ago in early spring when I got lost on the old snowmobile trails (prior to the recent work) which seemed to go straight across the swamps/bogs!!! I'm not totally clear on the work that happened over the last year or so, but, north of the ponds there has been significant clearing across the hiking trails so it was pretty confusing. As of last July, the Three Ponds Trail near Whitcher Hill was still pretty difficult to follow where it coincided with the snowmobile trail. Maybe the trail markers have been improved since then? There is a new snowmobile bridge on the east side of the 3-ponds loop (the MT Kineo Tr & Donkey Hill Cutoff Area).

Last summer we came upon a VERY unhappy pair of campers there - the guy was trying to console his girlfriend after they told us they were totally lost at that intersection despite all the signs. They were on their way out after spending the night at the shelter trying to cook hotdogs over burning paper since they couldn't start a fire..... The girl wouldn't even look us in the eye. YIKES!!!!!
    He got her lost, then couldn't start a fire? not exactly a keeper.