Dix 9-18 Rocky Peak Ridge and Giant mt. 9-19 Porter and Cascade 9-20 Yesterday, 05:1

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hermit

Reaction score
Home-West Shokan N.Y.Avatar 35x12 Catskill grid pa
[
Yesterday, 05:16 PM
Left early in the morning from the Catskills on Friday and climbed Dix from rt. 73. I don't get up to the Adirondacks as much as I would like to lately because of a busy schedule.I finished the 46 in 2001,and over the years climbed some of the more popular ones before embarking on the 46 quest. Later that night I would meet up with friends Rob,Linda ,Nick and Raecine in lake Placid.Rob has hiked quite a few of the 46 high peaks , but for Nick and Raecine this would be their first time in the Adirondacks. Linda hiked Algonquin -Iroquois-and Wright with me last year. Raecine only had recently taken up hiking and only climbed a couple of mountains in the Catskills.I had a great hike up Dix Friday and only saw a few people coming up when I made my descent.This was my third time on Dix and really enjoyed the great views. The last time I climbed it I also included Hough , but I wanted to meet everyone back in Lake Placid fairly early where the 5 of us were staying.After a great night of partying in Lake Placid we got an early start from New Russia and hiked over Rocky Peak Ridge to Giant Mt. We had a car spot on rt. 73. I only climbed those 2 in the past from rt. 73 and came back over Giant. This was my first traverse from New Russia. It was beautiful !.I have to give Raecine a lot of credit for keeping up with us on this route and it's practically her first hike,and she is not a youngster.She climbed over 11 miles and 5500' of vertical. The next day Linda and I did a shorter hike up Porter and Cascade.We all had a great time and the new comers to the Adirondacks loved the majestic mountains. They will be back,Linda now has 7 mountains in on 2 trips.Here are a few pictures.
Tags:https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=110274937487305514320&target=ALBUM&id=6196736023933153153&authkey=Gv1sRgCKmj_diT78atoQE&feat=email

Last edited:
I had a lot of fun hiking (and partying) with Ralph, Linda, Nick, and Rae. The traverse from Rt 9 in New Russia to Chapel Pond is one of the nicest hikes in the northeast. A lot of elevation gain (5500 ft) but spread out nicely over the hike. Phenomenal views, and lots of them. This was one of those "hikes that keeps on giving". Will definitely repeat this hike again.

I had a lot of fun hiking (and partying) with Ralph, Linda, Nick, and Rae. The traverse from Rt 9 in New Russia to Chapel Pond is one of the nicest hikes in the northeast. A lot of elevation gain (5500 ft) but spread out nicely over the hike. Phenomenal views, and lots of them. This was one of those "hikes that keeps on giving". Will definitely repeat this hike again.

Rob,any of your pictures would be appreciated.They were excellent