Vose Spur to The Captain 10/11/15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne

Reaction score
Steve needed a break from the Grid and I just needed to get out. We decided to pick off a few hundred highest peaks we missed on our last outing. We spotted my truck at the end of Sawyer River Rd and went back to the fire rd. The fire road is a great change from the Signal Ridge trail. Once we hit the trail we forked off onto the Carrigain Notch trail. We quickly reached the large boulder. We found a good looking spot and headed into the woods. It wasn't long before Steve had found the herd path and we cruised up. Just below the talus field we ran into Peter from NY who recognized us from the ADKHighPeaks Forum. He is closing in on his NEHH and was heading over to pick up East Sleeper later in the day. Go Peter! We took a few minutes to check the views from the talus field. A great perspective. We reached the summit and saw that two others had signed in before us. A busy day on the Spur! We headed toward Carrigain and popped out onto the large talus field in the col. Steve put us on a great line and started picking up the tracks of the others who had signed in before us. A faint herd path made for easy going and we caught up with the two ahead of us just before the summit of Carrigain. We found Marvin's trekking pole! The summit was bustling with lots of people and dogs. I zipped the legs onto my shorts to minimize further blood loss and we headed to The Captain. The first part of the ridge was fairly open. As we descended it got increasingly steep and thick with a fair amount of blowdown. The extra pole sticking out of my pack kept causing it to unzip and I lost my favorite Marmot tee. I finally taped it to one of my poles which worked much better. Once in the col we picked what looked like a likely route up. Steve again managed to find parts of a faint herd path and we were soon at the canister wearing our pirate eye patches.Aargh! I opened my pocket to get out my phone to capture the moment only to discover the had been ripped open dumping the contents. We backtracked and quickly found my stuff. Yay! We returned to the col and headed down. The descent was very steep and messy. Steve finally got us through the worst of it and we picked up herd paths that eventually lead to logging roads and a long walk back out to the end of Sawyer River Road. All in all a fun day with great weather, scenery, and company.