Moriah loop from Wild River in early November

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikerbrian

Reaction score
Hi all,

I stumbled onto this loop last night looking over my maps for places I haven't spent much time, and the interwebs appear to confirm my suspicions that the loop starting near the Wild River Campground and encompassing Moriah and Sheburne-Moriah (via Moriah Bk tr, Carter-Moriah tr, Kenduskeag tr, Shelburne tr, and possibly some of the Highwater tr) is quite the secluded treasure. Don't worry, your secret's safe with me. :) I'd like to do this as an overnight with a stay at Imp shelter the weekend of Nov. 7. For those of you who frequent these parts, I've got a couple of questions, specific to the early-November timeframe:
1. Are 113 and Wild River Rd likely to still be open?
2. With the suspension bridge out, how bad is the ford? Is the Shelburne tr ford a better spot than under the suspension bridge?
3. Exactly how bad is Highwater trail? Might it be best to ford the river both at the suspension bridge and at the Shelburne tr and then road walk it to avoid washed out sections of the Highwater trail?
4. Best to park at the campground?

Many thanks,
Brian

113 and Wild River Rd close with snow, so I suspect Nov 7 they would still be open.
The Shelburne Trail ford is not bad, I have not tried at the bridge.
Highwater trail is in good shape, much better than the road walk, don't bother crossing twice.
There is a nice lot at the campground.
The ford at the bridge is close to the campground, so if you head in that way, a plan B of the Shelburne trail ford is a quick decision.

I did a loop in this area back in May. Might be worth comparing the gauge values for the Wild River at Gilead:

Current:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv/?site_no=01054200

May 24th/25th:
http://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/...od=&begin_date=2015-05-24&end_date=2015-05-25

The ford at the Shelburne trail wasn't too bad depth/current wise, but I suspect the water will be colder for you. Didn't really size-up crossing elsewhere, though I do recall enjoying the view into the river from the now closed Moriah Brook bridge. I recall thinking it might be rock-hop-able, but didn't really try to map out a route. Good luck!

Keep in contact with the USFS, the next few days could be make or break for 113. And just as easily, and quickly, it could rebound.....

Wildcat was actively blowing snow most of the day today, 10/17, above 3000 ' elevation. The extended NWS forecast for higher summits isn't especially encouraging. It might not be LOT of snow, but wet conditions and low temps and high winds can dish 113 just as fast as a big dump of white.

Keep in contact with the USFS, the next few days could be make or break for 113. And just as easily, and quickly, it could rebound.....

Wildcat was actively blowing snow most of the day today, 10/17, above 3000 ' elevation. The extended NWS forecast for higher summits isn't especially encouraging. It might not be LOT of snow, but wet conditions and low temps and high winds can dish 113 just as fast as a big dump of white.

Well said! Very true.

For what it's worth, I've been in there several times at this time of year, including well into November, and hunters use the Wild River campground as a base late into the year; the FS will try to keep things open as late as possible (given that it's a dirt road and the Notch is up high). Bring some blaze orange.

Also, I've done that route, counter-clockwise, in July, and it was glorious. I camped along Moriah Brook, up the southern flank (where there are campsites of dubious legality), and it's gorgeous. At this less-leafy time of year, you'd probably have to go further up the ridge to be reliably invisible & far enough off-trail.

The plank-walk up on Shelburne-Moriah ridge was transcendant, awesome full-circle views, easy, high walking. The ridge between Moriah and Imp Shelter is a fun stroll on open rock. Fabulous, enjoy!

Got it, thanks for your responses. I'm hoping to make this a scouting trip for the Moriah Brook area for a summer trip that includes some lollygagging in the pools. But this time around we plan to stay at Imp. Thanks again. I'll get in touch with the FS over the next couple of weeks.