It's Official N.E. Goves never had a Fire Tower 10-11-2015

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeRmudfun

Reaction score
Back in April of this year, my wife and I were going to hike back up N.E. Goves and try to find the fire tower remains that we didn’t find the first time we went. After talking to Iris Baird, the NH Fire Tower Historian, we were told that as far as she knew there wasn’t a tower on N.E. Goves, it had been on an unnamed peak in Pillsbury State Park. The plan then became find the peak and explore. :cool: We found what we expected to find on N.E. Goves on this peak. We had not posted anything about it, because we were waiting for Hiker Ed to get out to the peak and verify, before he updated the list. It has now been update the N.E. Goves has been replaced with this unnamed peak.
Fast forward to last Sunday. Being Columbus Day Weekend and record crowds were predicted we decided to go west instead of north. We headed to Craney Hill first (TR has already been posted) and to make the trip worth it, we decided to revisit the unnamed peak and update the video for the our Fire Tower Map.
If you are in pursuit of the fire tower list then this peak is much easier to get to than N.E. Goves is…IMHO. :D To find this peak look at the Pillsbury State Park map (link below) and find the Mad Road Trail off RT 31. There is a locked gate there, but a couple cars should fit easily there off the road. Right across from Jones Hill there is an unnamed peak with an elevation of 2050’, that’s the peak that once had a tower. We followed the trail for about 0.75 miles, then bushwhack north to the summit. It is an easy bushwhack with most open woods.
The summit has the artifacts, eyebolts and cable, plus a really cool fireplace that has withstood the test of time. As for views they are quite nonexistant, except for one small view of the Lempster Mountain Range and its turbines.
All in all it was a pretty nice day with no crowds and no traffic! :cool:
Pillsbury State Park Map Link:
http://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/pdf/pillsbury-hiking-map.pdf

good info.I know right where that is ,since Pillsbury State pk is my favorite.Surprising how far the the true spot is from the NE Goves spot

Last edited: