Willey Range via Kedron Flume, Willey Range Trail, Avalon, etc. (17 October 2015)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Date: 17 October 2105
Peaks: Willey, Field, Tom
Miles: 8.5
Elevation gain: 4030'

Trails: Kedron Flume, Ethan Pond, Willey Range, A to Z, Mt. Tom Spur, Avalon Trail

Conditions: trails had no blowdowns of note. At lower elevations, the trails are covered with leaves making for some added slickness and hiding rocks and roots. Trails were wet but not muddy except for a few places. Styrofoam pellet snow fell much of the morning and early afternoon but did not accumulate much. Coming down Field toward Tom, there was enough snow on the trail to make for slick conditions though.

Equipment: with possible precipitation and temps in the high 30's, rain gear and warm layers were needed. I wore a soft shell most of the day after getting on the ridge and never needed a rain jacket due to the relatively dry snow, but a few degree change in temp and it would have been wet. Winter hat and gloves used. My drinking tube was icing, not to a problematic level, but it was below freezing along the ridge. Headlamp.

Comments: good day out with a friend. Nice to see some snow and get blasted with some windy mini squalls along the way. I was very surprised at the number of people I saw hiking from Field on and especially down near near Mount Tom and the WRT/AtZ junction.