Soft Shell Pant Recommendation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Still in search of a good soft shell pant for the Winter. In particular, hoping to find a pair to resolve/meet the following:

1) Highly mobile fit/very stretchy/articulated
2) Something with a high waist or other feature that doesn't get forced down by my hip belt over time
3) Integrated belt or fastener/not a cheap snap button/belt loops that aren't so far apart that belt gets all over the place
4) Fleece or similar liner for added warmth/wind protection (ex. MH Yumalino pants).

Haven't had any success to date finding comfortable Winter pants. Always seem to be futzing around with them and when you're under many layers and wearing gloves it is a real pain. Appreciate any recommendations as always. Been steered to some pretty good gear of late thanks to members.

I would suggest modifying your desired design to integrated suspenders and full side zips. I have always used a goretex shells and ventilate with the side zips as needed.

I picked up some goretex proshell pants with full side zips and built in gaiters two years ago, I had previously used a similar set of goretex shells for about 15 years. I also have a very similar design soft shell version and so far I prefer the goretex proshells. I do like to occasionally butt slide and goretex beats a soft shell anytime.

I generally run polypro long underwear and carry an additional set of expedition weight poly pro tops and bottoms. I consider them more emergency gear as I rarely if ever need them as when hiking its rare if ever that I have cold legs. The only reason I would put the expedition weight gear is if I had to hunker down. For extreme conditions which I very rarely go out in I also have a pair of insulated goretex pants.

REI Outlet has various versions of the Black Diamond Dawn Patrol pants on sale. I shelled out for the "touring" version (full zip, suspenders). To date I've been using an old (c. 1996) pair of Patagonia Guide pants, but the new ones have changed from the Schoeller fabric to something else, and I've shrunk out of them enough that the belt isn't doing the job.

I usually wear a pair of SportHill Symmetry pants. They are a simple wind shell with full leg zippers. They have an elastic waistband and cuffs and are roomy enough to wear a variety of insulating layers underneath. My favorite baselayer is a pair of Ibex wool tights (the current version is called Energy Free tights). If rain is predicted, I'll bring Precip pants in my pack.

I've been wearing Patagonia's Guide pants for two winters. Simply the best pants I've ever worn in the winter. They shuck snow and water, have a elastic cuff on the bottom with a snap button to adjust if needed. I wear a belt, but some like suspenders. They do not have any kind of liner and frankly, I'm glad, it allows much more flexibility in different temps. Like now in current conditions, I wear nothing under them, but would carry midweight underwear. In real cold, I add mid weight underwear right off the bat. In extreme cold, I wear heavyweight bottom's underneath. Not having a liner allows greater flexibility in different temps. These pants are tough as well, minor brushes with crampons and spikes, no tears yet.

I have a pair of Arc'Teryx Gore Tex pants that have the full side zips but the waist adjustment is kind of funky and I find they tend to start unzipping at the top and then get pushed way down from the hip belt on my pack. They are a perfect fit, move well, etc until the last 3 inches or so of the waist. Not sure if size is too small or the "athletic cut" of most of their gear does not work well with the decidedly non athletic shape of my physique. Was actually thinking about contacting them about it.

I also find I have a hell of a time adding lower layers like a wind pant, etc on trail (suck using zippers in gloves so I usually wind up taking off, then hands get cold, etc, etc) and would prefer to just come up with something I can start with right away and regulate. I was thinking of just getting running tights or similar pants and throwing the hard shell pants over it. Was afraid it wouldn't be warm enough but I see a lot of people in really tight pants on the trail. Are they just snug soft shells pants, running tights??

I see a lot of people in really tight pants on the trail. Are they just snug soft shells pants, running tights??
I've hiked with folks who wear just tights even in winter, mostly fast people who tend to run hot. I've also used the Col d'Lizard/GekkoGear tights as a base/midlayer under uninsulated nylon pants. Really do need another good pair of tights like that...most of my running tights are a bit lightweight for that.

would prefer to just come up with something I can start with right away and regulate.

I used to have that problem. Why not wear something that you don't need to regulate? Put it on in the morning and don't think about it the rest of the day?

I've been wearing Patagonia's Guide pants for two winters. Simply the best pants I've ever worn in the winter. They shuck snow and water, have a elastic cuff on the bottom with a snap button to adjust if needed. I wear a belt, but some like suspenders. They do not have any kind of liner and frankly, I'm glad, it allows much more flexibility in different temps. Like now in current conditions, I wear nothing under them, but would carry midweight underwear. In real cold, I add mid weight underwear right off the bat. In extreme cold, I wear heavyweight bottom's underneath. Not having a liner allows greater flexibility in different temps. These pants are tough as well, minor brushes with crampons and spikes, no tears yet.

These do look like pretty nice pants. Are they discontinued? Several sites I went to didn't have and they're $99 off on Patagonia site (not that this is a problem :) ). Also, they look like a baggier fit based on photos. Was looking for a more snug, elastic fit. These seem more hard shell than soft shell. Is that accurate?

I used to have that problem. Why not wear something that you don't need to regulate? Put it on in the morning and don't think about it the rest of the day?

That's the question: what is that type of pant is that? On most winter/wintry days I wear a mid weight base layer and my soft shell pants. It's usually a little too warm ascending which later chills my legs, particularly the section above where my gaiters stop up to the mid thigh. Basically I'm overdressing for the climb so I'm ready for the colder upper temps.

Unlike my upper layers I don't take off and put on different pants combos on the trail to regulate. My Gore Tex pants are full zip so I can put them on but it is a clumsy process, especially if it is windy. When I first got the stuff I have now I imagined following a layering approach like I did for upper body but in reality it isn't happening. Having the wicking, insulation and water/wind proofing in multiple garments is a pain in the ass for on trail adjustment. Those Patagonia pants are starting to seem like a great all-in-one solution with the vents and the patches of high wear areas.

That's the question: what is that type of pant is that?

I've already answered what works for me. I don't overdress for the climb, but if I need to I'll zip down my shell pants and put on a pair of fleece pants with full zips (hard to find), than zip up the shell pants. Another option is to add Primaloft pants over everything.

REI Outlet has various versions of the Black Diamond Dawn Patrol pants on sale. I shelled out for the "touring" version (full zip, suspenders). To date I've been using an old (c. 1996) pair of Patagonia Guide pants, but the new ones have changed from the Schoeller fabric to something else, and I've shrunk out of them enough that the belt isn't doing the job.

What is the significance of the Schoeller fabric? I've seen that in the descriptions of some of the pants I bookmarked (one of which was the Dawn Patrol pants)? Not as elastic?

Isn't this a sign that your soft shell pants are not blocking the wind adequately?

No doubt. My current pants leave much to be desired. They were an EMS model and first soft shell pants I ever purchased. They've been adequate but the pockets zippers are snagging and the snap closure unsnaps too easily.

I would go for bibs if the issue of pants riding down while wearing a backpack. I've been wearing Core Concepts Uncle Bens Bibs for a few years now. Soft shell with Shoeller fabric in the right spots... Great pants but discontinued for a few years now. Also my Arcteryx Bibs I bought off eBay have worked for me great with various layering weight choices underneath.

What is the significance of the Schoeller fabric?
The Schoeller Dryskin (they do make other fabrics, but the Dryskin is often what people mean if they refer to it unqualified) is, in the opinion of many (but not all), the best softshell fabric out there. A true single-layer softshell, very breathable, very water-repellent, very wind resistant, quite durable.

The Schoeller Dryskin (they do make other fabrics, but the Dryskin is often what people mean if they refer to it unqualified) is, in the opinion of many (but not all), the best softshell fabric out there. A true single-layer softshell, very breathable, very water-repellent, very wind resistant, quite durable.

+1. So happy I have a second pair on the shelf to have in stock to replace pair 1. Mammut Champ pants in my case.

I had to add an over layer when it is very windy (extended above tree line) on the coldest days. I carry a pair of precip pants for that. Used them only 2 times. So the Schoeller fabric covers 90+% of my winter conditions with zero adjustments ! Joyous compared to goretex.

Btw marmot dryclime wind shirt over summer polypropylene tee shirt.

They've been adequate but the pockets zippers are snagging and the snap closure unsnaps too easily.

You may be able to fix the snap by removing the small ring inside the female half of the snap (using a small screwdriver and needlenose pliers), then squeezing the ring to a smaller diameter, then reassembling.

If I could torture you with a follow up: is "Schoeller" just a brand name for Mammut's lined garments, like M3 for Marmot, eVent, etc, etc? Seems like all the pants I pulled up with the "Schoeller Dryskin" description were from Mammut except one model (the discontinued Black Diamond pants). Mammut is another brand I have no experience with and a lot of their stuff on Backcountry.com had no reviews. Is it also a quality brand? Has a lifetime warranty like many other companies.