High Point Trip - 8 States and ...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Summary: 8 High points (VA, NC, SC, GA, TN, KY, IN, OH), 2500 miles of driving, 50 or so beers tried (not all pints!), 15 brewpubs, TONS of amazing views, great weather, 44 state license plates (plus 6 'others'), lots of friendly people!

Long Version - Views And Brews

If anyone wants more info on any of the High Points, I'd be glad to tell you what we encountered. The High Pointer book is getting a little out of date (there are web versions), and there are tidbits that we'd gladly share that the book omits, like which roads to take to Sassafras, and which to avoid! I also have hotel recommendations near each place.

Either we lucked out big time, or October is a great time to travel to these Southern States! :D

I've been to high points in NC (drive), WV (drive) , and TN (hike) on separate trips, so your 8x trip is impressive. Linking it with brews makes it more so. Well done!

Brasstown Bald is about 30 miles from our place. If you went through Blairsville you were 10 miles from us. In fact if you took 19/129 between Blairsville and Murphy NC you came withing 5 miles of our place. Of the highpoints you mentioned I like VA the best because of the extended tree free views and of course the ponies.

Last edited:
I don't seek them out but when I pass nearby, I will go for them. Only have 8 and no plans to complete list. I agree with Ed that Mt Rogers, VA is unique. Lots of open views at high elevation and then the summit is in the woods. They are not all scenic. Here is Mt Woodall, MS, just 806 feet.Shiloh 029.jpgShiloh 030.jpg

We will never do even the 48 continental high points. We don't make trips like this very often (this was the biggest by far), but we enjoy traveling and managed to even do a little hiking! :D

Did do Mitchell, & Craig, in October 1996 and it was indeed very pretty. TN was in July and with the Haze, GSMNP did live up to it's name...

My best guess of the 6 missing state license plates?

Hawaii, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, New Mexico