Sub 4K Scrambles

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HH1

Reaction score
OK, I'm looking for your help to add to my collection of sub-4K, ledgy scramble hikes in the White Mountains region (a bit outside the forest boundary is fine). For those wondering, a scramble is where most hikers use their hands as well as feet to negotiate their way up, or down, rocky on-trail terrain. Many of us love this style of hiking and are always looking for more of it.

Instead of trying to quantify how much scrambling is required to make the list, consider using this qualitative defintion - when you return to the trail head after completing the hike, you think: 'wow, there was some good scrambling there'.

I've hiked all of these except for Mahoosuc Notch and Chocorua by the Brook trail, the latter two included since the guide books and hikers tales indicate they should be on it:

1. Mahoosuc Tr - Mahoosuc Notch segment
2. Ice Gulch Tr - in my top five White Mountain hikes, 4Ks included
3. Holt Tr On Cardigan - not a lot of scrambling but one section as tough as the worst on Huntington Ravine Tr, as I recall
4. Welch Dickey Tr - tons of near scrambling on gillions of ledges, enough to make this list; possibly the most entertaining hike in the Whites
5. Mt. Percival Tr. - just north of Squam Lake
6. Veterans Tr. up Bald Moutain - across the street from Cannon; just a very short bit but a wonderful, family intro to scrambling, ending on the bald summit of this fun, micro mtn
7. Brook Tr ascending Mt. Chocorua
8. Baldface Circle Tr - lots of scrambling especially up South Baldface

I must be missing more than a few. Please add!

Thanks.

The Underhill trail up north percy was officially closed years ago but can still be followed. Lots of open ledge scrambling. Definitely one to do when dry.

The trail up Mt Forest in Berlin, also abandoned has some interesting spots.

Downes Brook Slide Trail, also abandoned, the upper section in the old slide route is grown in but once you hit the ledges it can get "interesting"

Plenty of interesting ones in Baxter. Doubletop from the south, The abandoned Marston Slide Trail (a favorite), Dudley, Hunt, Hamlin Ridge and Knife Edge. Northwest Basin trail up the Headwall, The hike to Klondike Pond from the Northwest plateau apparently is a major challenge that few folks do.

Six Husbands and the Upper Great Gulf, Daniel Webster Scout Trail

If you are looking for hands and feet climbing, the there is also the Square Ledge trail, the Algonquin trail, the Walden Trail, and the Crawford Ridgepole trails have some.

I'm sure there must be more but right off hand Carter Ledge Tr. up Chocorua has a few. Webster Cliff Tr., lots of steep scrambles.

Sandwich via Algonquin trail (although bypasses are developing on a lot).

The Underhill trail up north percy was officially closed years ago but can still be followed. Lots of open ledge scrambling. Definitely one to do when dry.

The trail up Mt Forest in Berlin, also abandoned has some interesting spots.

Downes Brook Slide Trail, also abandoned, the upper section in the old slide route is grown in but once you hit the ledges it can get "interesting"

Plenty of interesting ones in Baxter. Doubletop from the south, The abandoned Marston Slide Trail (a favorite), Dudley, Hunt, Hamlin Ridge and Knife Edge. Northwest Basin trail up the Headwall, The hike to Klondike Pond from the Northwest plateau apparently is a major challenge that few folks do.

Six Husbands and the Upper Great Gulf, Daniel Webster Scout Trail

Sub 4k? I think in your excitement of listing fabulous scramble trails you missed that little disclaimer. :)

Beehive and precipice trails seem to be considered as scrambles under 4k.l I would agree with the Tumble down chimney rte.Also an unmapped trail that I found up Little Jackson up the back way way to the summit was def a scramble at most spots.It was a trail,more than a herd path.

Though I have not been there yet, from I read it sounds like there may some good scrambles ascending the Percy Peaks.
Regarding Cardigan, I remember a short steep scramble up the backside so to speak, returning from Firescrew.

Last edited:
I thought that the hunt trail should be classIII in places. I thought it was scarier/harder than precipice trail in Acadia, but then again, the Precipice trail is.9 miles while the Hunt trail is 5+ and I did it in the rain.

Probably should add Hamlin trail to that list as a class II scramble.

You'll never get satisfied in New England w/ just trails w/ some scrambling on them, as there just aren't enough. Better off just going class 5!

Since we've broadened this outside the White Mountains I'd add Peak of the Ridges in Baxter Park, Center Ridge Trail of the Traveler Loop, which is what many of us consider a New England classic even though the highest peak on this 11 mile loop is only 3541 ft. Much of the loop is exposed with terrific views and there are stretches across talus, though stable.