"Spirit of N.H. Awards Program".

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrailwrightBratt

Reaction score
A couple of colleagues received awards last night in Concord.

Congratulations to Craig Sanborn: (Cardigan Highlanders Volunteer Trail Crew). He has worked on trails almost as long as I have.:)

Chris Garby: ( U.S. Forest Service Volunteer). Also a member of Trailwrights.
Congratulations both well earned "Service" awards.

Last edited:
I've often thought the hoopla over FKTs should be replaced with equal fervor over MKHs, Most Known Hours of trail maintenance.

RichS, I believe the Watermans made that point in their book Backwoods Ethics in the chapter on trail tending. It is a very different kind of experience from trail running, to be sure. We and the land benefit from trail tenders every time we hike. If it takes some more awards to help attract more people to the craft, I am all for them. Those of us who tend trail without expectations of such rewards will still welcome new workers who have the awards as part of their motive for working, so long as they turn out and do the work to adequate guidelines. They may discover what we have discovered: the satisfactions of a job done well to preserve the land from our boots, and the gratitude we get from most hikers, along with the respect from our peers. Pretty good deal, all in all.

I agree, RichS. Would be interesting to have a website similar to the one for FKTs. Thinking, though, that most trail maintainers are not primarily motivated by such things. Still, it would be neat.

thanks Hal! missed you at the ceremony but did catch up with Craig.

not sure of my motivation but it doesn't feel like work to me.

thanks Hal! missed you at the ceremony but did catch up with Craig.

not sure of my motivation but it doesn't feel like work to me.

I was not aware of your reward until I got a program upstairs. I could not catch up and shake your hand as you were on your way out. Well deserved.

Agreed it is not work just plain old fun.