Skiable to Boquet river Lean-to?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rondak46

Reaction score
I am looking for a good ski and hike and I am considering skiing into the boquet river lean-to for a shot at Dix. Is the trail to the lean-to skiable? Is it skiable beyond? I would be using BC skis with climbing skins if its doable.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:
First of all, great signature - Caress of Steel is my favorite Rush CD

Don't know about winter conditions, but I've done the trail and it's fairly flat to the lean-to. Even afterwards it only climbs moderately so it's prob ably do-able with skis until you hit the base of the slide, then it gets serious.

You would obviously carry the skis from the trailhead until Round Pond. After you circle the pond, there is some elevation gain as well, I just though about that, but It may be do-able. Hopefully someone else will chime in that has been there during winter.

Good luck

A bunch of us went out via Round Pond when we hiked the Dix-s this past winter. In fact, we were passed buy a guy who skiied out from the leanto towards Round Pond. There is gradual elevation gain all the way from Rt 73 to the leanto but it is for the most part, gradual. Skins are probably not needed at least for the fresh snow that we saw.

In fact the skier that passed us on the way out, was skiing the slide which was neat. Unfortunately, he was on the way up and we didn't stick around to wait for the descent but he looked like he was having fun. He passed us while we were resting at the leanto actually.

Jay

All of the 46 in the Adirondacks can be skied to/from the summit. Just depends how good you are.

As others said, heading in to the lean-to is MOSTLY level. There is a bit of a climb right at the beginning, then there is a half mile of climbing (with a couple stone staircases) soon after Round Pond. Except for a few small sections, the forest is mostly open hardwood.

From the leanto to the slide, the forest is not as open, and the terrain is more rugged. After the slide it is a straight steep and narrow trail through a thick spruce forest.

I was there a week ago and I think if your a decent skier you will have no problems.