Scramble Free 52 WAV

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bignslow

Reaction score
My hiking partner recovering from a recent back injury; while walking and hiking is fine, scrambling is not. We have a tradition of hiking on Thanksgiving, but our go-to peaks are the 48, and Monadnock.

Does anyone have any specific 52 WAV recommendations where there is a chance for a good view, but the trail is not too severe.

Thanks in advance :D

Kearsage North might fit your bill via the Kearsage north trail. It is well graded. and there are great views prior to the summit cone if you decide to cut the day short. There is one 20 to 30 foot section at a switchback that is steep but definitely not a scramble unless icy. Hard to beat the 360 views from the summit tower. About 7 miles round trip and 2500 feet of vertical. South Moat might also fit the bill but there is bit more borderline scrambling mid way. Both are southly exposure so ice is unlikely. Starr King is an old carriage road. There is one steep step near the summit not a scramble unless icy.

I would not recommend Weeks Brook Trail up Kearsage North as there is some minor scrambling near the summit. I plan to do Kearsage North on Friday if the forecast holds out.

Mt. Roberts via Mt. Roberts trail is moderate hiking and beautiful lake views on the way up. Then a view north to the Whites from the summit.

Five mile out and back or there are loop options to extend mileage from the summit via High Ridge trail.

Parking at the end of Ossipee Park Road in Moultonborough. Trail starts over by the horse barn, lookers left from the gate.

Last edited:
Mt. Cardigan, from Orange via the West Ridge Trail is a possibility. The approach is well-graded, scramble-free, and any ice on the ledges at this time of year should be pretty easily avoided.

However, multiple sections of the lower trail are usually an absolute skating rink. This early in the year the ice should be easily visible - and there are well-established detours for the worst sections if you look around a bit - but I'd avoid that trail if I had any kind of injury.

m003.jpg

December 2013

However, multiple sections of the lower trail are usually an absolute skating rink. This early in the year the ice should be easily visible - and there are well-established detours for the worst sections if you look around a bit - but I'd avoid that trail if I had any kind of injury.

m003.jpg

December 2013

The same can be said for the K-North Trail. Found it this way the past 2 Novembers.

IMG_0506.JPG

IMG_0509.JPG

I'll also throw out Mt. Parker. Easy grades and great views. Just one annoying P.U.D. :cool:

Awesome!

Thank you all for the suggestions, I'm going to go off and do some homework to figure out our plan.

Mt Crawford is also a pretty tame hike. but with impressive views. One of my favorites.

I would agree with Parker great views...I would ad Stintson and Square ledge for easy in and out and no scramble

I will stick my neck out and say that most conditions can be navigated with the proper gear, skill and caution;) I have found that ice on gentle slopes crunches nicely under Hillsound trail crampons with their 1" spikes. They have greatly expanded the conditions where I believe I walk safely. So far.

Don't know if they're on 52WAV but Mt. Israel and Red Hill at the southern end of the Whites provide some reward for modest effort.

Don't know if they're on 52WAV but Mt. Israel and Red Hill at the southern end of the Whites provide some reward for modest effort.
Israel is indeed a 52WAV, Red Hill is not. It's a fire tower peak though. Both are good hikes.