How's this for a White Mountain summer place in Jefferson NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Not bad, really. First off I would have to get rid of that pointy thing on the roof. 20K septic, 10K well. Hmmm 50K again I think.

Would be an interesting summer place for sure. Except I'd feel more likely to be struck by lightning inside than out! :)

Beautiful building. According to Google Earth a building across the road, with minimal setback, appears to have been another old church now housing the Jefferson Historical Association Museum.

The price wouldn't appear to me to be as much of an obstacle as what to do with it. Any sensitive adaptive reuse would probably be economically infeasible, no matter the price unless one were to create a shelter/commune type of place, in which case the aesthetics would be incidental, unfortunately.

Dennis, thanks for keeping us flatlanders up to date on the hot issues in the north woods!

Unfortunately the north country of NH is being depopulated like many rural areas, the only increase in population category are the elderly. There is a small influx of retirees from elsewhere but many are just locals that are getting older and moving into the elderly category. One of the things that happens with a decrease in population is far fewer churches. About the only churches that are actively growing in the area are evangelical Christian churches that tend to do well in poor rural economies. In addition to the Jefferson church I linked to, there are a couple of catholic churches available but not actively marketed and an episcopal church for 99K (national historic landmark) in Berlin. In Gorham there is at least one church off the town common that was bought as a hobby by a private individual and only used on occasion.

Jefferson has always been a mostly rural farm community with a cluster of summer estates around the old Waumbek resort in Jefferson Highlands. The views from the Ingerson Road area and the Highlands on the flanks of Waumbek and Star King are great but unfortunately the presidentials are mostly out of view due to the alignment of RT2. Route 115 (now 115A) used to run through the center of Jefferson but its major relocation in the mid eighties to the east of town through the former Brown Company timberlands pulled a lot of traffic away from the town center. There were several developments built to accommodate the building boom from several years ago but that has tapered off. There are couple of businesses owned by people who relocated there but with the exception of the Santa's village seasonal complex of businesses there isn't much for work. Six Gun City is just about gone, they have been stripping assets out of it for a couple of years and it barely looked open this summer. The adjacent campground seems to have steady occupancy but I expect its not thriving. One benefit of Jefferson is the town expenses are low and unlike other north country towns, the National Forest is not a large percentage of the town which allows more property to be taxed. It also does not have a school other than an elementary school so the taxes are relatively low. Unfortunately lacking a viable town center, everything requires a drive to either Lancaster or Berlin Gorham.

PB, what do you know about the "grand" houses that line Rt. 2, around the Randolph/Jefferson line? Is that the "summer estates" you are referring to?

I assume you are talking about the Carter Bridgman complex that has the spring on the side of the road and the stone tower on the other side?. I was actually referring to the estates that are directly next to the Starr King trail but here is what I could find on the Carter Bridgman estate.

I found this interesting link

http://desertaura.com/blog/carters-stone-tower

Here is video from some VFTT folks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDoEWFJXbkk

There is apparently a caretaker for the estate and I see vehicles there on occasion but not a lot of activity beyond a large garden and the fields being mowed. They did extensively rebuild the spring a few years ago which apparently is fed from a series of springs up the hill. I expect that like many estates in the area it is now in the 3rd or 4th generation of a well off family and a tie to Nashua Corporation may mean its still a well off family. When Hilary Clinton was in town there was fleet of white ford vehicles parked there so they must be political supporters.

As for the long abandoned road side cottage complex east of there, I would love to know that story.

Yes, thanks, the Carter-Bridgman complex was what I was referring to. There does seem to be cars around often enough when we've gone by, and it looks relatively 'kept up'. I figured it was tied to some old money. We've used the spring before, more often several years ago when the water at the time at my house stunk (literally). An in-law had a wedding or something at the stone tower before, as I have been told.

The white house with blue trim, north of the cluster of estates mentioned, I've always loved and looks like it was remodeled a bit in the last few years. Big picture window which much have great Presi views!

Probably not much I can add to this except to agree with everything you said. I've been to Jefferson many times, I always stay at Josselyn's, and have driven by that church more times than I can count. It looks like a sweet property and I love the views. I personally like Route 2 in Jefferson, it's out of the way and not too commercialized except of course for Santa's Village. The hiking is pretty decent with Waumbek and Starr King Trails. With the lack of schools and other conveniences it would be tough for me to raise a family in Jefferson but I think it would be a sweet place to retire to. In addition to the property that you provided the link for I've seen some others in that town that I like as well. But, unfortunately I've got a way to go before retiring.