National Parks Overview

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
My latest creation...an overview of America's 59 national parks:

NATIONAL PARKS OVERVIEW

Suggestions for improvement / corrections / feedback / cricitism is most welcome. Help me make this the best overview of national parks on the Internet!

Note: This page only covers the official 59 "national parks". It doesn't cover national monuments, national historic sites, national scenic trails, etc.

Cheers,

- Roadtripper.

Last edited:
You might want to mention somewhere that you're only listing the category of "National Park" which, in a typical bit of bureaucratic logic, does not include "National Historical Park" , "National Military Park", or others with both "National" and "Park" in the name, nor "National Recreation Area", "National Preserve", "National Scenic Trail", "National Seashore", etc. - NPS uses about 20 designations covering about 400 sites.

You might want to mention somewhere that you're only listing the category of "National Park" which, in a typical bit of bureaucratic logic, does not include "National Historical Park" , "National Military Park", or others with both "National" and "Park" in the name, nor "National Recreation Area", "National Preserve", "National Scenic Trail", "National Seashore", etc. - NPS uses about 20 designations covering about 400 sites.

Couldn't agree more. I'm actually a bit surprised at how many people lump all those other categories into their own definition of "national park". To me, the national parks are the crème de la crème of our national lands, and while the other categories include some truly amazing properties, most aren't quite on the same par level.

Next update of my page will help clarify this.

Last edited:
Not sure if this a detail worth mentioning. Some parks and I'm thinking Yosemite as that's what I'm familiar with require permits to enter the backcountry. Maybe in the parks that have a manadatory permit system in place, it should be mentioned. When I first tried to hike out there, I was naïve to this point.

Not sure if this a detail worth mentioning. Some parks and I'm thinking Yosemite as that's what I'm familiar with require permits to enter the backcountry. Maybe in the parks that have a manadatory permit system in place, it should be mentioned. When I first tried to hike out there, I was naïve to this point.

Thanks, Sierra. I've added some information about this. I too have run into that problem. I can only imagine how many people show up to Yosemite to figure out that they can't hike Half Dome...

I'm having a hard time getting to this link, either from the root or with the whole link. Tried Chrome, Firefox, IE, and also on Safari from my phone. Either times out, or says 'not found'.

Is it working today?

What a terrific summary and sure fire remedy for cabin fever! Congratulations on the effort to put this project together.

I start my planning for long distance road trips with a look at National Parks, and other similar outdoor oriented attractions, near an intended route. That then becomes, along with other attractions, the itinerary. Something like you've prepared is a good start to any trip planning, even picking out just one place to visit. As one who has been to over half the list ... another post 100 Highest list ... let me offer these suggestions.

Some of the characterizations are very subjective, others are seasonal. I think a little more explanation as to how you arrive at Wow Factor, Top ***** lists, etc. could be added without cluttering up the tables, though the first table could benefit from a little additional embellishment, maybe make it landscape format instead of portrait.

PLACES WORTHY OF BECOMING A NATIONAL PARK is a misnomer. Some are equal, or better, than some national parks but why obscure their real significance with such a contoversial categorization. Missouri Breaks in Montana, and the Allagash in Maine, both national recreational waterways are worthy of inclusion from both scenic and historical perspectives.

A little more explanation of the Accomodations would be helpful and could fit easily. Price ($, $$, $$$ etc.), rating (Triple A or other recognized rating method), seasonality and other architectural or historical significance are helpful. Most are drive in but some require a hike (LeConte Lodge).

The seasonal nature of these places can vary. For example, we were warned by an AT through hiker from Terlingua, TX that Big Bend is mobbed in March and April so we went in February when the weather was nearly the same (but flowers not as lush) and it was less than moderate crowds. Not sure how to incorporate this. Maybe Top ***** list for flowers, foliage, winter??? What about another table showing which table(s) each park qualified for, or adding those columns to the first table.

Hope you don't mind if I copy your list and tuck it in my National Geographic Guide. I'll keep an eye out for updates! If you haven't researched 1000 Places to visit Before You Die, then I suggest that as a resouce, too. BTW, you know that National Geographic has similarly good guides to State Parks and Canadian Parks ...

What a terrific summary and sure fire remedy for cabin fever! Congratulations on the effort to put this project together.

I start my planning for long distance road trips with a look at National Parks, and other similar outdoor oriented attractions, near an intended route. That then becomes, along with other attractions, the itinerary. Something like you've prepared is a good start to any trip planning, even picking out just one place to visit. As one who has been to over half the list ... another post 100 Highest list ... let me offer these suggestions.

Some of the characterizations are very subjective, others are seasonal. I think a little more explanation as to how you arrive at Wow Factor, Top ***** lists, etc. could be added without cluttering up the tables, though the first table could benefit from a little additional embellishment, maybe make it landscape format instead of portrait.

PLACES WORTHY OF BECOMING A NATIONAL PARK is a misnomer. Some are equal, or better, than some national parks but why obscure their real significance with such a contoversial categorization. Missouri Breaks in Montana, and the Allagash in Maine, both national recreational waterways are worthy of inclusion from both scenic and historical perspectives.

A little more explanation of the Accomodations would be helpful and could fit easily. Price ($, $$, $$$ etc.), rating (Triple A or other recognized rating method), seasonality and other architectural or historical significance are helpful. Most are drive in but some require a hike (LeConte Lodge).

The seasonal nature of these places can vary. For example, we were warned by an AT through hiker from Terlingua, TX that Big Bend is mobbed in March and April so we went in February when the weather was nearly the same (but flowers not as lush) and it was less than moderate crowds. Not sure how to incorporate this. Maybe Top ***** list for flowers, foliage, winter??? What about another table showing which table(s) each park qualified for, or adding those columns to the first table.

Hope you don't mind if I copy your list and tuck it in my National Geographic Guide. I'll keep an eye out for updates! If you haven't researched 1000 Places to visit Before You Die, then I suggest that as a resouce, too. BTW, you know that National Geographic has similarly good guides to State Parks and Canadian Parks ...

Thanks Stan. I'll add information on how I arrived at the top lists and the "Wow" factor. At the end of the day though, this is just one person's opinion (even though I have been to almost all of the national parks outside of Alaska).

I actually was thinking about expanding the national park lodging into it's own overview chart with exactly the information you suggested above.

I should also add a note about seasonality to your point.

I own all those books you suggested =). In fact, I own way too many books.

- Greg

Maybe in the scenic drive category, you could list the roads that are seasonal. Two off the top my head, Trail ridge Rd ( RMNP) Route 120 (Yosemite). I know rt. 120 didn't make the list, but in trip planning to Yosemite, primarily in the spring, the opening of 120 is critical in planning trips out there.

Maybe in the scenic drive category, you could list the roads that are seasonal. Two off the top my head, Trail ridge Rd ( RMNP) Route 120 (Yosemite). I know rt. 120 didn't make the list, but in trip planning to Yosemite, primarily in the spring, the opening of 120 is critical in planning trips out there.

Thanks Sierra. I updated the page to indicate what to expect in winter for each of the scenic roads.

spelling error in Chugach State Park
I climbed Flattop Mountain this summer, so it stood out.
Very nice summary! And fun playing Been there, Did that, In my dreams.

Last edited: