Accessing Spaulding Mtn from Sugarloaf ski area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiker0200

Reaction score
I'm currently at 60/67 on the New England 4Ks, and I'd like to add #61 and possibly 62 to my tally this week. I was considering doing Sugarloaf and Spaulding (already did Abram). Normally, I'd go in from CVR, but that approach seems like it would be a mess this time of year, or undoable at all, so the other option would be to go from the ski area.

Problem:

On the Sugarloaf USA website, it says that leaving ski area property to access the backcountry (i.e. the AT, Spaulding and Abram) is prohibited, but I've read numerous reports of those mountains done from the ski area.

My question(s) to you good folks: Is it permitted for hikers/uphill trail users to leave the property to head for Spaulding & Abram? Or is it something that is technically not allowed but ski area patrol lets you do it anyway (but you assume all risks, yadda yadda)?

Thanks in advance!

That's how I got those peaks 2-3 years ago. You do need to purchase an uphill travel permit for Sugarloaf, but when we were there Ski Patrol was very friendly and helpful. The day we summited, the upper lifts were closed, and they pretty much told us once we went beyond the serviced area, we were on our own. IMO, that same policy applies to anyone leaving the ski area boundary. Those policies are mostly in place to keep some yahoo looking to do "backcountry skiing" and ending up on the CVR cold, alone, with regular skis/snowboard, and no hopes of getting out.

As of Thanksgiving weekend, CVR looked to be in great shape. There was no snow on the ground at all (slight dusting above maybe 3000'), I don't think there's been any snow since, and the weather all this week is going to be warm.

I didn't follow CVR any further than the first bend, just checked it out of curiosity on my way to Bigelow. So check for reports from earlier this fall in case there's some obstacle I don't know about, but if anybody has used the CVR route this year it should still be good.

Sugarloaf's website confirms your reading of their rules. See rule # 5. Furthermore, the rules permit travel only on open ski trails. Unless Sugarloaf has made a prodigious amount of snow in the last few days, there are no open trails to the summit. On a practical note, that means the ski patrol will be easy to avoid.
http://sugarloaf.com/the-mountain/uphill-policy

Here's an indication that not all ski patrollers will try to stop you or even ask about the $10 uphill pass:
http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/me/viewreport.php?entryid=23492
(I can't understand why those folks had to cross an active trail in the first place!)

I was wondering if the same rules apply to Saddleback mountain. Bagging the Horn should be easier if you go up the ski slopes rather than taking the AT.

I dont think i would want to use the AT to bag Sugarloaf in the Winter, but once on top, its a fairly pleasant hike to Spaulding.

I did it last winter in full sight of and with the express knowledge of the ski patrol. If it concerns you at all, call the ski area and record the date, time and with whom you spoke in case of any on-site discrepancy.

Tim

I did it many years ago after hiking up the slopes in summer and I expect it applies to would be backcountry skiers ... the ones they occasionally must go search out around dusk.

I was wondering if the same rules apply to Saddleback mountain. Bagging the Horn should be easier if you go up the ski slopes rather than taking the AT.
Saddleback isn't likely to open this season, so I don't think you'll have to worry about ski patrol. In the past they've been very friendly to uphill travel, and I've hit Saddleback and the Horn via the ski area twice now.

Saddleback isn't likely to open this season, so I don't think you'll have to worry about ski patrol. In the past they've been very friendly to uphill travel, and I've hit Saddleback and the Horn via the ski area twice now.

Last year they enacted a pass for uphill travel ($10-15?), but if they aren't opening, that will be a non-issue.

More likely have to worry about parking and breaking trail...

Tim

If they don't open, but the property remains accessible, I'd think that Saddleback will probably turn into quite the "slackcountry" ski destination. Then the only problem is the inevitable disagreements that occur when snowshoes end up using the skin tracks...

If they don't open, but the property remains accessible, I'd think that Saddleback will probably turn into quite the "slackcountry" ski destination. Then the only problem is the inevitable disagreements that occur when snowshoes end up using the skin tracks...

I sense a business opportunity for an enterprising individual with a snow machine :)

Tim

Thanks for the tips! If I don't do Sugarloaf & Spaulding this week, I'll probably end up doing them in true winter anyway. Good to know that I basically have the ok to leave the ski area bounds :cool: . Fortunately, I've already done Saddleback and Saddleback Horn (via ski trails), so I won't have to worry about that situation later on in the year ;)

I don't have access to any of my Maine maps or guidebooks at the moment. Can someone please remind me what the book time and distance are for Sugarload and Spaulding out and back from the Sugarloaf parking lot?

I did them many years ago and seem to remember that the section right below the summit of Sugarload on the non-ski slope side was a bit gnarly, but other than that it was pretty straightforward.

Thanks!

Brian

Its a big mountain. No reason for XC skiers and snowshoers using the same pathway :D
It's not XC skiers, but folks earning turns. Ideally, there would be a skin track for skiers and a snowshoe track for hikers and skiers/riders who don't have climbing setups.

I may be hiking it the last week of December. There won't be any snow at ground level. Will be interested to see what they've been able to make on the slopes.

I would be curious if CVR road is not gated due to the lack of snow. I normally wouldn't recommend the route from CVR to Spaulding in the winter due to the potential dangerous snow conditions above Sugarloaf cirque but given the lack of natural snow it may be viable alternative until there is significant natural snow.

I did it last winter in full sight of and with the express knowledge of the ski patrol. If it concerns you at all, call the ski area and record the date, time and with whom you spoke in case of any on-site discrepancy.

Tim

Besides breaking trail, how was navigating the connector during winter?
What do you think about Abe access? O&B from the loaf would add over 3000 ft of climbing to the 2000+ of loaf. I'm sure all breaking trail. Does anyone use fire wardens trail in winter? Is there road access on that side or is it all a ski in?

Last edited: