Joshua Tree

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy

Reaction score
I find myself "having" to go to Palm Springs, CA for a conference in early February. I don't think I can let that pass without a few days exploring the area. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice for Joshua Tree or other parks/forests in the area? I don't want to drag all my full camping gear with me so I'll hotel-it, but I would love to get in a couple good days of hiking (7-15 miles). Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I've never been in that part of the country so I'm excited to experience the terrain/flora/fauna.

A favorite haunt of Gram Parsons who died nearby in 1973. The attempt to cremate his remains at Cap Rock is legendary. If you don't know who GP is, listen to The Gilded Palace of Sin by The Flying Burrito Bros, solo albums GP and Grievous Angel or The Byrds' Sweetheart of the Rodeo. Great stuff, Cosmic American music according to him.
"On the 31st floor, a gold plated door, won't keep out the lord's burning rain" Sin City 1969

Tough duty. Thank you for going and hope you'll allow us to enjoy it vicariously through your eyes.

We passed through Joshua Tree quickly and did some short nature walks but there are longer hikes which you can select from once you're at the visitor center. You might also look into San Jacinto Peak. They say on a clear day you can see the Pacific Ocean. Good luck with that but it is over 10,000 ft and strenuous even though you can take a tram to the trailhead.

I made a half-day visit a number of years ago. I was with non-hiking friends so we didn't do any hiking, but the NPS map shows a number of trails. The weather should be comfortable in Feb, but you will still be in a desert--bring lots of water.

The NPS website has a good bit of info:
http://www.nps.gov/jotr/index.htm

Doug

I spent about a week in JT in December 5 years ago. The weather was great (being from NH!). I had the whole park to myself! It was about 60 during the days. I would suspect that the weather would be similar in February.

Carry a lot of water. If you haven't hiked in that part of the country, you will want to be prepared for how arid it is. And bring lip balm. You'll get really dried out.

There are many worthwhile short hikes in JT. Your best bet may be to string together some of them and make a day of it.

Not to be missed are: Ryan Mountain, Lost Horse Mine, Keyes Ranch, 49 Palms Oasis. You can do all those in a day or so. You'll probably want to spend more than just a day though, because the scenery is spectacular.

I don't know what the weather will be when you're there, but I second Mt. San Jacinto. You can take the tram ($15 in 2010) partway up and start a long dayhike from there. There was snow when I was there, but this year, who knows?

Kelso Dunes in the Mojave is also worth checking out if you are up north. Anzo-Borrego Desert SP if you are in the south. It's really a feast for the eyes!

Have fun! JT is awesome!

The thing I like best about Joshua Tree is the CAMPING. There are some really, really cool campsites, and I think it would be worth schlepping camping gear. My opinion after a half dozen visits. (I lived in CA X 6 years.)

Kelso Sand Dunes are very neat.

Mt San Jacinto can also be hiked from the other side, Idyllwild. Could be a lot of snow in February!

The thing I like best about Joshua Tree is the CAMPING. There are some really, really cool campsites, and I think it would be worth schlepping camping gear. My opinion after a half dozen visits. (I lived in CA X 6 years.)

For example:

IMG_3299_1.JPG

I did all the hikes that Wardsgirl did in Joshua Tree and they are all very nice. There are lots of cool places to just stop along the way when driving around, too.

If you are staying in or near Palm Springs, I also highly recommend the Indian Canyons, just south of downtown Palm Springs. It is a large palm oasis at the foot of the San Jacinto Mountains and is spectacular. It is owned/operated by the Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians, who do charge a per person admission fee. I would have included a link, but their website appears to be down.

My two favorite hikes are both out of Murray Canyon. First is The Maynard Mine Trail. It is a good workout and is perhaps the most scenic. It goes to a plaque about the mine and then you take a right turn and go steeply down the hill to the mine itself. Second is a nice and easy loop, with the first half following Murray Stream and the second half up in the hills, with great views. At about the half way point, you can also take a nice side trip to the Seven Sisters Waterfalls. There are many stream crossings en route to the falls, that could be tricky in high water.

Here's a photo taken along the Maynard Mine Trail:

maynard mine.jpg

Hope you enjoy this wonderful area of the country!!

Marty

You guys are awesome! I knew I could count on VFTT. I have never been so excited for a 4 day conference on garbage! So many ideas to consider....

You guys are awesome! I knew I could count on VFTT. I have never been so excited for a 4 day conference on garbage! So many ideas to consider....
Not sure if my pics will upload properly....

Driving toward Mt. Ryan trailhead
23732482625_78e22fae4d.jpg

At the Mt. Ryan Trailhead
23706401446_8956b48dd2.jpg

Enroute to summit
23364527019_6c07588262.jpg

Summit
23436775730_fa5056191e.jpg

Views
23104342024_7d31f2d61d.jpg

Campsites along the main drag through the park
23732446405_fa336ab04e.jpg

23732438345_f7ce84f68b.jpg

Playing on the big rocks across the street
23649886071_512fe0136b.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, do camp if the forecast is decent at all. Only weird thing about this year is the very strong El Nino, which has been known to pull wet and cold storms into Southern CA from time to time in the winter. Still, you probably have an 80-90% chance of being just fine during any given few day stretch. Enjoy!

My two favorite hikes are both out of Murray Canyon. First is The Maynard Mine Trail. It is a good workout and is perhaps the most scenic. It goes to a plaque about the mine and then you take a right turn and go steeply down the hill to the mine itself. Second is a nice and easy loop, with the first half following Murray Stream and the second half up in the hills, with great views. At about the half way point, you can also take a nice side trip to the Seven Sisters Waterfalls. There are many stream crossings en route to the falls, that could be tricky in high water.

Marty

Marty - where is the Murray Canyon? is that within the Joshua Tree park?