Boreal forest between 3000'-3500' in the Catskills

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpencerVT

Reaction score
What peaks in the CATs, that are not the 35, have predominantly boreal forest at their summits? (very few).
I did Olderbark a while back and was surprised to find an entire summit of conifers. E. Jewett was the same way, and Stoppel had lots of conifers on the whack from West Stoppel.

I'm sure a geologist would know more about why there are relatively few coniferous forests in the Catskills in comparison to the Whites, ADKs, etc....It's not like the latitude is that much different. With the CATs, you have to rise in elevation much higher to get conifers than in other alpine forests of the northeast, and even then you still might not get them. Why is that? My best guess is the red/clayish rock has something to do with it - that this type of rock and soil is less conducive for conifers to grow, although that's just my best guess. Even some of the 35 have little to no conifers at their summits - Rusk, Windham High Peak, Graham Mountain, etc...yet Olderbark which is lower, was entirely different.
Just curious.

I'm not really sure, but I could recommend a book by Dr. Mike Kudish, the foremost Catskill botanist. He's made the Catskills his life work.

"The Catskill Forest: A History" is back in print now.

Hey Tom, I am almost done with CHH. And when I arrive I have been putting up canisters and signs on every summit like you asked me to!

haha, just kidding. I did Plattekill, North Plattekill, Roundtop and Southeast Warren this weekend. Some gnarly briars on North Plattekill. Southeast Warren is beautiful farmland with awesome stone walls everywhere.

If you have a copy of The Catskill 67 you'll find details of what the forest conditions are like. Mike Kudish's wonderful book, The Catskill Forest, has just been reprinted and includes a modern map. You'll have to dig to locate the woods condition on individual peaks as it's not peak-specific.
Shoot me a note when and where you intend to finish. I have a Catskill 100 banner I'd like to get your autograph on and maintain a list of finishers. PM me with your list and I'd be happy to provide as much information as possible and what to expect on your remaining peaks. Mongaup range is almost all deciduous and very, very easy whacking.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Peakbagr, will do. The banner sounds cool. Good to know the Mongaup range is easy whacking, because it's fairly long. Take care, Spence.