GPS app for iPhone

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byron8

Reaction score
I've been using Backcountry Navigator Pro on my Android device for several years and it's served me well. Alas, I'm switching to an iPhone. I've come across several GPS apps online and wondering if anyone has had any particularly positive experiences with any of them. The Android app has been great because it includes a myriad of maps to download and does a fairly decent job of accurately tracking hikes. I don't mind paying for an app. Thanks.

Julie

I've used Gaia and found it to be a very good app. I think it's $20. That said, I use a GPS pretty much only in the winter, and I haven't found my iPhone to be suitable for those conditions, so I haven't used Gaia now in more than a year (since getting a Garmin 64s).

I use the Trimble Backpacker GPS Trails Lite app on my Android, but they have an iphone app too. It's convenient enough since you can download the topos offline in bulk, or just cache maps for an area before you go (which is what I do). The maps are the USGS quads, so the trails marked on them are only so accurate - I compare them to the current AMC maps for deviations before most hikes. It's mostly a toy to track trips and find my location easily, but I find it worth it. I think it's $20/year.

I use iHike GPS and love it.

Every USGS map, some Canada topos, AND USFS topo maps... all for a one-time charge of ~7-8 bucks (think mine was $6.99 3-4 years ago. Regularly, though not annoyingly, updated.

Gaia is pretty good, but I also use a Garmin because I can change the batteries. The Gaia interface runs circles around the Garmin.

Last edited:
I own a Garmin, but also use Gaia on my iPhone. I can download USGS quality maps and satellite imagery onto my phone prior to my hike, and run it in "airplane mode" thereby saving battery life. It's really sweet. Well worth the 20 bucks.

I have two - Mapmyhike (free) and Alltrails (also free). Between the two of them I've been very satisfied