Carter Notch In Winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I plan on doing a lot of hiking in the Carter Range/Wildcats to work on my Winter list this year and I am curious if the section of Carter Notch Trail (Carter Moriah Trail? Not in front of my maps) that runs from the Carter Notch Hut up to Carter Dome is an issue in Winter, particularly those really steep sections down lower in the notch. I've only been on this trail twice, both times on dry Summer days, and I recall some very steep tricky sections that I am assuming could be a big deal covered in ice. Is this section passable (with reasonably low risk) in Winter with standard traction (spikes, crampons, snowshoes) or is it best to avoid? Doesn't look like there will be much of a snow pack to start the official Winter season so I'm not sure what to expect in the Notch. I don't recall if there were enough trees and other stuff to grab onto in that area.

Also, does anyone have GPS coordinates for the point where the Camp Dodge "short cut" joins the Imp Trail? My initial thought is to park at 19MB, head up into notch, climb Carter Dome and work North on the ridge to catch all the Carters in generally descending elevation and then exit out via Imp and Joe Dodge cut off/short cut for the short road walk back to car (I believe somewhere I had read it is about 4/10 of a mile or thereabouts).

Both sides of the notch are indeed quite steep, but they're quite feasible, and they're usually well-travelled, since the hut is open all winter.

Is camp dodge open in winter? It's not much of a short-cut if you have to break trail...

Both sides of the notch are indeed quite steep, but they're quite feasible, and they're usually well-travelled, since the hut is open all winter.

Is camp dodge open in winter? It's not much of a short-cut if you have to break trail...

Is that only a Summer thing? I thought that was a year round short cut using the road for Camp Dodge and people used it to shorten the road walk between 19MB and Imp trail heads. If not, I'm glad I asked! :)

I have used the cut-off a few times, once in winter on a similar trip. I found it broken out on my winter visit and a piece of cake to find (YMMV.)

If you're keeping your eyes out for a road width (~15ft) swath crossing the trail, it is hard to miss.

Last edited:
Agreed on the Dodge cutoff. Its usually broken out and very obvious, even if you have to break the trail its worth the shortcut. If you are coming down the south imp trail it runs along a very obvious old logging road all the way from the north carter trail heading south. at one point it makea broad curve and swings north. Keep an eye out for wide road width swath heading to the left an follow it down to camp dodge.

Thanks guys. TDawg the link you messaged didn't work but no problem. If it is a road width path I should be fine. I thought it was more of a herd path at the point it reached the Imp Trail and may have been hard to see covered in snow.

I far prefer going up it in winter, it also is trail where microspikes can be inadequate in some conditions. Definitely worth hauling the crampons along. Its a potential trap for those heading down as it the difficulty get progressively worse. Many folks head down and get to a point where they exceed their abilities and equipment. Many elect to keep going down rather than turning around. Heading up they will figure it out pretty quickly that the conditions are too difficult to continue fairly quickly.

I would be ascending only. I figured I'd go up 19MB to the Notch, climb out to Carter Dome to get the vertical out of the way and then head "down" the ridge toward Imp. If I'm gassed or behind schedule due to conditions I'd head down Carter Trail. I always have spikes and crampons in Winter and wear my crampons more often than many.

I would be ascending only. I figured I'd go up 19MB to the Notch, climb out to Carter Dome to get the vertical out of the way and then head "down" the ridge toward Imp. If I'm gassed or behind schedule due to conditions I'd head down Carter Trail. I always have spikes and crampons in Winter and wear my crampons more often than many.
Snowshoes might be worth carrying too (if we get any snow.).

And don't miss Mt Hight if the visibility is any good... The best views in the range.

Doug

Snowshoes might be worth carrying too (if we get any snow.).

And don't miss Mt Hight if the visibility is any good... The best views in the range.

Doug

Always carry snowshoes, you know when we actually have snow. And yes Mt Hight is awesome. Remember it very well from my summer hikes in that area two summers ago.

If you just doing it as a day hike, then ascend the Carter Dome Trail - not nearly as steep and hit Dome from the north. If you haven't done the Carter's in winter before, I might actually suggest waiting for [more] snow. Once it fills in, it's actually considerably nicer than in the summer as it becomes very smooth and you'll have much better views (especially if you're tall). I imagine the light snow/ice/rock stage it's in right now is far less pleasant. Regardless - enjoy!

I'd also consider doing it when there is a lot of snow. (Did in Feb several years ago and also a mid-April trip when there was some snow but in April, just went back down to Zeta pass) If found the deep snow with snowshoes to be pretty forgiving. I believe when I did it there was some new snow and very little hut traffic that day so I had to re-break the trail some.

It could be nerve wracking to newer winter hikers, and on an icy track like current conditions are now, it could be slow going making sure your traction has adequate bite,

I think I am going to postpone this one. I really don't want to do any official Winter 4k's in non Winter conditions. Feels like cheating taking otherwise inaccessible trails, getting unusually warm weather, etc. I want to do the summits with the traditional Winter challenge. I'll probably knock off some of the ones I really have no interest in doing in the first place while the conditions are abnormally benign and then resume peak bagging when and if Winter arrives. I have a few I've already been on in Winter conditions that weren't in the official Winter season so I'll probably hit those and make it official (Like Waumbek, which I did only once a few Memorial Days back when we had that freak 8" snow storm. Would be pretty ironic to hike it now with bare ground and temps in the 50's :)).

Last edited:
I'd also consider doing it when there is a lot of snow. (Did in Feb several years ago and also a mid-April trip when there was some snow but in April, just went back down to Zeta pass) If found the deep snow with snowshoes to be pretty forgiving. I believe when I did it there was some new snow and very little hut traffic that day so I had to re-break the trail some.

It could be nerve wracking to newer winter hikers, and on an icy track like current conditions are now, it could be slow going making sure your traction has adequate bite,

If there is good snow coverage could Carter Dome be glissaded down to the notch pretty safely?

I agree with TJsName...you could ascend Carter Dome trail and hit Carter Dome via Zeta Pass. Then double back and head towards South Carter and Middle Carter. The mileage and elevation gain for this route is almost the same as if you hit Carter Dome via the hut.

I hear you on the winter challenge thing though, seems like a bit of a cheat when there's no snow. I haven't done those peaks in winter but did them in snow and 20-degree weather in November a few years ago, so if I did do them in a low-snow winter I wouldn't feel too bad...kind of evens out. ;)