Roads are closed, but theres no snow...which of the 48 do you like?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tahoma

Reaction score
So the FS has closed most of the access roads to peaks like Hale and Carrigain but theres NO SNOW. So under these circumstances, which of the 48 do you like to do?

Is there any advantage to some of these peaks and trails when snow is low, and which are best with heavy coverage?
Opinions?

Depends on if you ski or not. If you don't ski, I would look at Hale as a choice as the road walk is easy when not icy. Sawyer River Road would be a decent choice too. (A few years ago it was actually open the weekend after Christmas)

The best winter approach for Galehead is from the Beaver Brook X-C ski area. That may actually be better with snow. North Twin in winter is usually done from Seven Dwarf's and would also be better with snow. (It will also bridge the river crossings in mid-winter.

My vote for the worst winter 48 with no snow is Isolation. Lots of potential mud plus water crossings makes it far nicer to do when the streams are frozen over and there is enough snow to do the Engine Hill bushwhack and for the adventurous, the second bushwhack to the col immediately north of Isolation. I have done this hike in winter conditions faster than I have done it in summer. Of course if the snow conditions are poor and you end up breaking trail then I expect the current conditions would be preferable

The dirt roads are closed because many of them are extremely muddy. The trails are muddy as well.

Warm is really not what we need now. I saw brier bushes starting to bud yesterday! :eek:

LET IT SNOW!

I do Ski Mike P. and am planning to utilize them as much as possible. Thats really the basis for this conversation. I am trying to do the 48 in less than 48 days but many of the climbs Ive planned are hoping for some snow coverage.
I was planning on GH, Garfield and the Twins as a loop. a friend told me he glissaded North Twin to the trailhead basically, so Im hoping for that type of situation of course.

Carrigain seems to be another skiing candidate as it would allow quite a handful of the 15 miles to be done on ski.

I did Jackson, Tom, Field and Willey on Tues. Jefferson thru Pierce on Wed. Im thinking Madison and Adams on Sunday, or Franconia Ridge 4 pack. What do people think? Save these for snow?

What about the Tri's and PC & WF as a large loop?

My vote for the worst winter 48 with no snow is Isolation. Lots of potential mud plus water crossings makes it far nicer to do when the streams are frozen over and there is enough snow to do the Engine Hill bushwhack and for the adventurous, the second bushwhack to the col immediately north of Isolation. I have done this hike in winter conditions faster than I have done it in summer. Of course if the snow conditions are poor and you end up breaking trail then I expect the current conditions would be preferable

Thanks for this post Peakbagger, I was considering it as one to do if we dont get snow soon but now Ill hold off on that.

What about the Tri's and PC & WF as a large loop?
Sleepers are rarely broken out, so that might be a good one to get before the snow. On the other hand, the trails from the north can be pretty wet.

Sleepers are rarely broken out, so that might be a good one to get before the snow. On the other hand, the trails from the north can be pretty wet.

Great to have confirmation about the Sleepers. I had assumed that, making it one of the few options on my list of days that could qualify as "thin coverage" trips.
As far as wet goes, it can't be worse than Tues. Thats what Goretex socks were made for!