Emma has her 15 minutes of fame and more

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sardog1

Reaction score
If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
Today's mail brought the Winter 2015-16 issue of "Forest Notes", the magazine of the Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests. It has a wonderful article by VFTT member Kevin Talbot (posting here as "Kevin, Judy and Emma") titled "The Soul of an Explorer" about his family's four-footed hiking companion Emma.

It's not available online yet, but I expect it will be.

Well done!

Last edited:
Fantastic! I'm really enjoying seeing so many dogs on the trail when hiking. I'm sure each dog has a story to tell. I actually call them "kids" when I seem them on the trail with their exuberance in full display! Love it!

Emma Appears in Forest Notes

20121230-20121230-_DSC0032.jpg

Hi everyone! Sorry for the late response to this. I've been busy the last few months getting back out on the trails after a hip-replacement in November. I have spent a lot of time collecting stories and photos about Emma to produce a book and finally coming to the realization that I would need more like an "Encyclopedia of Emma" to contain all the writing and photos I'd like to share. All of her hikes with us are preserved at my website, and perhaps that is where they will stay. You can still visit us there at Ghostflowers.com and clicking the White Mountain section, or visit the Trip Report section for a chronological list of our hikes.

Frustrated with trying to create a book, I was introduced to Pecha Kucha Night by a fellow photographer and decided it would be a good discipline for me, forcing me to narrow down my photos to 20 and my story to six minutes and 40 seconds. Pecha Kucha is a Japanese word meaning "Chit-Chat" and it has become a style of presentation around the world where each speaker has 20 slides and 20 seconds to describe each slide.

Last June I gave my Emma Pecha Kucha presentation before a live audience at 3s Artspace in Portsmouth, NH. Two editors from "Forest Notes", the magazine of the Society for Protection of New Hampshire Forests (SPNHF) happened to be in the audience. They approached me after the show and told me they loved the story and photos and wanted it for their magazine.

Here is the article as it appeared in Forest Notes, 16 of the original 20 photos were used. The link will take you to a PDF version of the magazine. The story begins on page 14. To be honest, as wonderful as it was to see this in print, a few tears were shed for our little girl who we still miss dearly...

https://www.forestsociety.org/sites/default/files/FN_Winter2015_web0104.pdf

For the more adventurous, my actual presentation is available on youtube. Disclaimer: Only those who can speak fluent "Boston" will be able to follow along…

https://youtu.be/sDPGJ5LBMGg?list=PLE-lAuzfyNapiFXah3dQ7a411aQqO6KZ2

Kevin

I met Emma on the trail a couple of times, the last on the North Tripyramid slide with Judy. Amazing that the little gal (10 years old at the time) made it up that strenuous climb, huffing, puffing and wheezing asthmatically as she went. Must have been a riot to hear her snore. Rest in peace.

Last edited: