Lyon Mtn ADK, South Peak 3,365 - Approach?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpencerVT

Reaction score
I was thinking of heading up to Lyon Mountain over New Years wkd. The main Lyon peaks seem straightforward, but does anyone have any insight/words of wisdom for this south Peak? - (With the orange pin - 3,365'). I see on the topo map it shows some kind of unofficial trail going to it, but sometimes those don't exist or are inaccurate. Wondering what a good approach might be?
23945016001_9bd10b49a1_c.jpg

We did Averill South years ago when the Nature Conservancy turned the land over to the state. We went in from Standish road in a more or less east-northeasterly direction. Except for a short distance in from the road we saw no traces of old trails. However, it was in winter conditions. Using sat photos we spotted and visited a couple of exposed rocky outcrops which gave us some views towards the south and southeast but that was below the summit, which offered no views.

How I'd approach the 3365' peak today ....

Notice the dashed road that branches off the paved road (to town of Lyon Mountain). Click on MAP. In 3-season, presumed that road is gated, I'd bike it to the end, then bushwhack direct to the summit. Right now, I presume X-C skis would work quite nicely. Click on Satellite view of the map. Notice that road is open all the way but it may be private property requiring permission. Let us know how you make out. Good luck!
(Note: John, Sue, and I did all four of the Lyon Mountain peaks in one day in the 1990s. It was a 'challenging' whack from Averill .... conditions now ??)

Spencer, did you end up going to south peak? I went to Averill last November, didn't know there was a herd path from the communication tower. It was a pretty nasty whack, 30 minutes for 800ft of very dense and blown down spruce! I was wondering if South Peak was similar, it looks much longer.