Killington via the Bucklin Trail in winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustJoe

Reaction score
Tried doing some quick online research(don't have a VT hiking guide) about this route in winter and didn't come about with much. Best I got was on Trails.com giving the numbers and description of this route but in seasons says, Spring, Summer, Fall. So, does anyone know if the Bucklin Trail is accessible in winter? Mainly, is Wheelerville Rd. maintained in winter?

Thanks

Yes, it is plowed in winter. Bucklin Trailhead is also a Catamount Trail access point and was in good shape when I skied the CT last winter.

I was actually debating whether I should do Buckling Trail or Canty Trail today. I ended up hiking Canty Trail / Blue Ridge Mountain (different peak but close by) mostly because it is not yet marked on OpenStreetMap. All the roads were clear and there was just a dusting of snow with temperature just a bit below 20. There is snow in the forecast for tonight, so if I get to do Buckling Trail later in the week I will write it up.

Last edited:
View attachment 5441Was a fun hike in 2013, you most likely will be happy with your total time...!!

I could easily do some research on this but I'm lazy....how much of this hike is exposed? I'm doing this hike with Joe, and it's supposed to be pretty windy Saturday, I want to make sure Joe is prepared...I like to look out for the safety of my elders. :D

Exposed just at the very top! Bucklin Trail is completely in the trees. From Cooper Lodge on the AT/LT, it's a steep 0.3 mile to the summit, with just the last bit exposed.

Exposed just at the very top! Bucklin Trail is completely in the trees. From Cooper Lodge on the AT/LT, it's a steep 0.3 mile to the summit, with just the last bit exposed.

Don't forget the concession stand at summit where you can warm up and get food and hot drinks. I don't recall if you can get beer or not.

I hiked Bucklin Trail to intersection with AT/LT for a total of 3.5 miles one way & 2000 ft of elevation gain. Wheelerville Road is maintained in the winter and the parking lot has been cleared of snow. It was snowing lightly most of the time (with some freezing drizzle) even though the forecast called for neither. The first 2.2 miles of the trail feel just like a walk in a hilly park and then you start gaining elevation much faster. Hope this helps.
Bucklin Trail to AT.jpg

Attachments

• Bucklin Trail to AT.jpg
    Bucklin Trail to AT.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 114

While I didn't get to Kiliington Spur before I had to turn around to pick up my daughter after ski school, I did a nearby Deer Leap Rock / Loop Trail next day and I also saw plenty of ice glazing on exposed rock.
DSC07319.jpg
My microspikes were fine for the hard snow crust at higher elevations of Bucklin Trail but I would consider them inadequate for the rock ice glazing.