New England 67 in 1 winter season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tahoma

Reaction score
Does anyone know if anyone has ever completed the 67 peaks of New England in 1 calendar winter before? (I know everyone likes to stress how hard the NH 48 are, but honestly, I think doing the Maine 14 is harder. Not only are the Carrabassett Valley peaks not easily accessible by any means but the Baxter State trio is a MASSIVE commitment. I did the 2 Katahdin peaks last winter, but getting North Brother seems an even bigger feat.)

Anyway, I am trying to do the NH 48 this winter in 48 days or less. If Im successful Im considering using the remaining weeks of winter to try to finish the 67. Anyone know where I can find info on anyone who has completed it?

Last edited:
Thanks!
I assumed it had, but I couldnt find the info. The NEHH must have been an epic...man, some of those bushwhacks must be heinous...up around the Canadian border for the Maine peaks must have needed a team to break out. Ive heard they get snow up there some years that rivals the Canadian Rockies....maybe just a wives tale but Id believe on those north faces.

Either Patrick and Dan could be considered a team by himself. I do believe they have collaborated meaning if you blinked, you may have missed them.

The SSW48 has been done by many (myself included) and can be done on weekends/holidays while working full time. I did it twice but I was laid off both times - I couldn't swing it with a family and a job.

Tim

Last edited:
I was at the 4,000 footer awards dinner when Patrick Cushing/Bombadil got up to pick up his certificate. I think he was the last person to get his certificate and everyone stood up to applaud LOUDLY. I'm still in awe of his achievement a few years later.

I believe Cath is the first known SSW67 finisher, in 2006-07.

Forum hiker bryan also accomplished this a few years ago.

Either Patrick and Dan could be considered a team by himself. I do believe they have collaborated meaning if you blinked, you may have missed them.

The SSW48 has been done by many (myself included) and can be done on weekends/holidays while working full time. I did it twice but I was laid off both times - I couldn't swing it with a family and a job.

Tim

I have checked out the SSW48 website. I'd never try the FKT, but I like the challenge of doing all 48 in 48 days or less instead of just single season. So far I havent had to quit my job and my wife still lets me come home! We will see come Feb 7th...

Props to whoever has done and plans to do the 67 in one winter. I'd like to do the winter 48, but not in one winter :eek: .

I've read that there is a crew up there working on some of the NEHH/overlapping 67 peaks this week, might want to rethink your plan and include Maine on the front end while the weather's good and trail conditions are known :D

Some updates to trail conditions can be seen at www.newenglandtrailconditions.com

Thats a great idea, but I already started the NH48 on Dec 22nd and I am shooting for all of them in 48 days or less. without quitting my job this will take every spare day Ive got so IF i decide to go for the 67 Ill just have to try and add it on the back side.
Have to complete the first challenge however before I start adding just yet!

#48in48inwinter

Thats a great idea, but I already started the NH48 on Dec 22nd and I am shooting for all of them in 48 days or less. without quitting my job this will take every spare day Ive got so IF i decide to go for the 67 Ill just have to try and add it on the back side.
Have to complete the first challenge however before I start adding just yet!

#48in48inwinter

Git 'er done!

wow, amazing feats, I just can't imagine any of these scenarios. even if unemployed/retired its just plain crazy! bravo to all that have done these!

I did the 67 in one year, and even that took some planning. I give credit to anyone that has done it in one winter or will do it in one winter.

I did the 67 in one year, and even that took some planning. I give credit to anyone that has done it in one winter or will do it in one winter.

Per and myself were trying to figure out how many finishers there are of the SSW67 a couple years back. There may well be other finishers but what we found out via word of mouth is:

1. Cath G
2. Bryan C
3. Doug T
4. myself
5. Dan M
6. Per F

I suspect this year will see a few more finishers. Goodluck to everyone this Winter on your "other Annapurnas." Safe travels!

Pat

Last edited:
Per and myself were trying to figure out how many finishers there are of the SSW67 a couple years back. There may well be other finishers but what we found out via word of mouth is:

1. Cath G
2. Bryan C
3. Doug T
4. myself
5. Dan M
6. Per F

I suspect this year will see a few more finishers. Goodluck to everyone this Winter on your "other Annapurnas." Safe travels!

Pat

Thanks Tim & Pat for chiming in. This was one of the hardest and most fun challenges of all my White Mountain hiking. I did not set out to attempt them all solo, but after a couple of misadventures early in the winter, the opportunity was there. Lots of driving, lots of trail breaking. You can't rely on trail condition reports for Maine & Vermont. Humbling to be up there on that list. Won't forget the day I was trail breaking (On my way out) from my finish on Isolation, to meet Per and two others trail breaking their way in to Isolation for his ssw67 finish. My solo Baxter and North Brother hikes felt like lifetime adventures in their own right.

Solo SSW67

1. Cath G
2. Bryan C
3. Doug T
4. myself
5. Dan M
6. Per F

Pat

Does anyone know who holds and what the FKT is for this?

There's a person attempting the SSW115 right now! Calls himself Rich99 on ADKHighPeaks.com

He actually PM'd me about going to BSP. I missed it because I always forget to check there! Must be one strong dude!

There's a person attempting the SSW115 right now! Calls himself Rich99 on ADKHighPeaks.com
Arm and I met him late Sunday afternoon on Franconia Ridge. Unless I misunderstood I believe he said he started the day with Tom/Field/Willey, was in the midst of a Franconia Ridge Traverse and, after speaking with us, sounded as though he was going to descend Flume Slide then do Cannon and the Kinsmans. As you'd imagine he does not seem to be lacking for motivation. Keep up the good work!

Pat