Winter in the Belknaps

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jniehof

Reaction score
Two related questions:
-How's the access from the Gunstock end during winter? I'm thinking primarily of the Ridge trail over Rowe, which I'd think would be able to mostly avoid ski area operations, but also the Round Pond trail, which probably not so much.
-Is going up the front/north of Major a fool's errand in winter? NETC indicates it's not exactly good coverage in the area, but doesn't seem like anybody's chanced the ledges. I plan to come down Brook, but figuring if I should go up the Boulder trail instead.

I highly recommend Belknap Range Hikers on Facebook.

The Ridge Trail, apart from going through the base area, avoids the alpine ski trails (but the first portion is a sometimes groomed access road). One can avoid the ski area altogether when doing Mt. Rowe by ascending from the Elementary School.

I have not yet descended the Boulder Trail (Belknap) in winter, but it could be potentially dangerous in some winter conditions (it lives up to its name).

The issue with the Mt. Major Trail is the ledge scramble just below the state boundary, which tends to load up with blue ice. One could in theory continue from the foot of the scramble west a little bit and follow some herd paths up. The Boulder Loop Trail is rough, whereas the Brook Trail is generally gradual (though has water crossings).

Thanks rocket21. I forgot the ambiguity...I meant I was pondering up the Boulder Loop trail on Major, not the Boulder trail on Belknap. Plan is Major-Quarries-Klem-Mack-Anna-Straightback and out.

Thanks rocket21. I forgot the ambiguity...I meant I was pondering up the Boulder Loop trail on Major, not the Boulder trail on Belknap. Plan is Major-Quarries-Klem-Mack-Anna-Straightback and out.

Right...Boulder Trail on Belknap is rougher, but the Boulder Loop Trail on Major can be vexing too.

Straightback gets a reasonable amount of use in winter (NETC report as recent as yesterday in fact). It's not uncommon for Mack to see some snowmobile use.

FWIW, I realize we are talking about the Boulder Trail on Major, but the Boulder Trail on Belknap was in pretty good shape, but use some caution. I went down and then back up it last week. Some snow and ice on the boulders themselves but not too bad. I did poke around with my poles to look for holes between the rocks.

jniehof-- The Belknaps are my "backyard range" and usually hike in there several times a month year round. Here a great map of the Belknap Range

Mt. Major in winter is very popular and usually broken out. Regarding your concern going up the main trail-- usually people hike up it but skip the ledges loop on the main trail and opt for the bypass around the lower ones that branches left while ascending. After the bypass loop rejoins there are still some ledges that have good runouts that could be blue ice, or thin snow covering blue ice. I have sometimes put on crampons a few times for that short section. Usually micros are just fine if sharp. Boulder Loop trail on Mt. Major is always fine with just micro's, no run out though it is rugged. I've been up major maybe 60 times and about half of those in winter conditions.

RE Gunstock. The only trails that are impacted by the ski area are those that originate from the gunstock ski area parking. Ridge trail up rowe is ugly road. Good bets for gunstock are doing the gunstock, Belknap, piper loop from the parking base at the Belknap carriage road (closed to vehicles in winter). Parking off Wood Rd and going up East Gilford Trail towards Belknap is quite , you can't hear the ski operations. I had to break 18 inches of snow on this route last winter. Lot of traffic towards round pond from that parking. Approaching Gunstock from Gilford Elementary and hitting rowe are another good option that is not affected by the ski area, and you don't have to contend with any traffic related to ski area.

The quarries have some of the steepest scrambles in the Belknap range that might be loaded with blue ice, for what its worth.

Added: I would also say that traffic in the non-popular areas in the Belknap Range has really increased this past year, I suspect due to higher online publicity, lists, patches, redlining, etc... So you might have a greater chance of seeing lesser used trails broken out this winter and faster.

Enjoy!

Last edited: