Does It Get Any Better? Monroe-Washington-Jefferson January 8, 2016.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&J

Reaction score
Possibly, but maybe not. A high of 30 degrees, light winds, abundant sunshine, abundant undercast, excellent hiking conditions...does it get any better? We did not carry snowshoes nor crampons and we did not need them. We used our spikes door to door. Lots of people on these three high peaks today and everyone was in abundant spirits to match the weather.

Talk about a Presi day!

Descending Monroe and heading to Washington
P1490818.JPG

A look back at Monroe.
P1490888.JPG

Closing in on the summit cone.
P1490894.JPG

The big summit tower shadow on the snow as we head to Jefferson
P1490938.JPG

Jefferson dead ahead
P1490991.JPG

A view into the Great Gulf and a good look at Washington
P1500029.JPG

All day we had watched the undercast slowly moving in our direction from the south. Here Monroe with a sea of clouds behind it
P1500005.JPG

A view of clouds usually seen only from airplanes
P1500042.JPG

One of my favorite weather events - undercast
P1500080.JPG

The Twins and Franconia Ridge rising above
P1500121.JPG

A peaceful sea of clouds
P1500054.JPG

Overflowing clouds refusing to be contained
P1500130.JPG

Last edited:
It would be hard to top yesterday... Surprised not to see you up there... We saw Hiker Ed and many others we knew. Gryffin and I, along with Whitney and Kyle, did the full traverse :)

attachment.php

(photo credit "Tip Toe")

Tim

Attachments

• 12506796_10208271785494786_1901576751_n.jpg
    12506796_10208271785494786_1901576751_n.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 710
Last edited:
Really great pics. The "sea of clouds" one with man and dog is my favorite. The "view into Castle Ravine" is really the Great Gulf -- Castle Ravine is behind the viewer's right shoulder, like 180 degrees opposite Ball Crag.

The coming rain and freeze will surely change things, but we sure had an easy time up there today -- we started late and tagged Madison, but if we'd had another hour or two to spend it would have been a no-brainer to trek across to Adams too. Like you, we found microspikes to be more than sufficient for everything we encountered.

Really great pics. The "sea of clouds" one with man and dog is my favorite. The "view into Castle Ravine" is really the Great Gulf -- Castle Ravine is behind the viewer's right shoulder, like 180 degrees opposite Ball Crag.

You are absolutely right! I just spaced it. It truly was an incredible day.

John and June,

In answer to your question, I don't think it could be any better. What an amazing day you had. Thanks for sharing your amazing photos.

Hope our paths cross again soon.

Best regards,
Marty

Arguably my favorite Presi day ever. Especially with the undercast moving in. We must have crossed paths at some point. So many familiar faces and names that day.

Definitely a rare, gorgeous day to have been above the trees with such a great group!

IQuest - our group crossed paths with you and the happy Marlie a few times throughout the day! Last time we saw you, we were on our way to Jefferson and the two of you were headed for the Jewell. Lots of happy people and dogs on the trail that day.

Definitely a rare, gorgeous day to have been above the trees with such a great group!

IQuest - our group crossed paths with you and the happy Marlie a few times throughout the day! Last time we saw you, we were on our way to Jefferson and the two of you were headed for the Jewell. Lots of happy people and dogs on the trail that day.

Nice meeting you!

It would be hard to top yesterday... Surprised not to see you up there...

Hey Tim-
You must have been on Clay as we walked below you on the Gulfside. Great to see lots of people out and about on that fine day.
John