Cannonballs?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tahoma

Reaction score
Has anyone been across the Cannonballs in the past 2 weeks? Im thinking of going from Cannon to the Kinsmans and back tomorrow.

While they are not at all pointless, there are many ups and downs on this route. No current info but I was up there last summer. Great hike. I met a couple of guys around Middle Cannon Ball who thought they might be on North Kinsman. They had no map. Are we there yet?

thanks Marty. Was this your trip?

When do you have this planned? I was considering North and South Kinsman for this Sunday or Monday and I noticed this trip report is the only recent one and has no info on the parking lot for Mt Kinsman Trailhead. If you go up that way prior to SUN I would greatly appreciate an update on the parking situation. I drive a small economy car with low clearance and that lot can be an issue for me if not plowed/poorly plowed. Thanks.

When do you have this planned? I was considering North and South Kinsman for this Sunday or Monday and I noticed this trip report is the only recent one and has no info on the parking lot for Mt Kinsman Trailhead. If you go up that way prior to SUN I would greatly appreciate an update on the parking situation. I drive a small economy car with low clearance and that lot can be an issue for me if not plowed/poorly plowed. Thanks.

If your referring to the PL on 116, it's a great lot right off the main road, zero issues with getting a car into it, if it's plowed.

The parking lot was not plowed out after Tuesday night's storm, BUT the western (Franconia) side of the ridge received barely an inch of snow down low. Keep in mind that IS supposed to snow tomorrow, however.

IMO full crampons or Hillsound Pros are not overkill on the steep pitches right now, but you might be okay with carrot scrapers :D which are probably preferable down low. Would definitely not try the Coppermine Col-to-Cannon section right now without full crampons...

[edit] BTW... Word on the trail was that the Lonesome Lake caretaker did Hi-Cannon Trail in microspikes on Wednesday and wished she'd been in full crampons. It's very icy right now!

Last edited:
If your referring to the PL on 116, it's a great lot right off the main road, zero issues with getting a car into it, if it's plowed.

Yes, that lot. I drove over there this Summer after another hike to locate it, check it's size, etc. From what I remember in trip reports last year plowing of that lot can lag behind a bit and there is no on road option. I believe the thread mentioned possible parking at that tennis club? Is that still the case?

The parking lot was not plowed out after Tuesday night's storm, BUT the western (Franconia) side of the ridge received barely an inch of snow down low. Keep in mind that IS supposed to snow tomorrow, however.

IMO full crampons or Hillsound Pros are not overkill on the steep pitches right now, but you might be okay with carrot scrapers :D which are probably preferable down low. Would definitely not try the Coppermine Col-to-Cannon section right now without full crampons...

[edit] BTW... Word on the trail was that the Lonesome Lake caretaker did Hi-Cannon Trail in microspikes on Wednesday and wished she'd been in full crampons. It's very icy right now!

Thanks. Trip Report did make it sound like it was awkward right now. I'll have to monitor Saturday's storm and pick something more accessible, not just for the trail head but also my ride up from CT.

Ive been away from computer access since Friday when I did the trip. Sorry I cant answer your question on the parking situation. I parked at Cannon Ski area.

I went up Cannon, crossed the ridge to the Kinsmans and back. I did the whole thing in micros, but I agree with all the beta out there, the section from hi cannon to coppermine col and even up NE cannonball warrants crampons. (In my haste in haggling with ski patrol to allow me on their side of the hill I left mine in the car! DOH.)

Ive been away from computer access since Friday when I did the trip. Sorry I cant answer your question on the parking situation. I parked at Cannon Ski area.

I went up Cannon, crossed the ridge to the Kinsmans and back. I did the whole thing in micros, but I agree with all the beta out there, the section from hi cannon to coppermine col and even up NE cannonball warrants crampons. (In my haste in haggling with ski patrol to allow me on their side of the hill I left mine in the car! DOH.)

No problem. I wound up canceling anyway and hiking local. Thanks.