Great lighting and conditions on Mt. Lafayette Sat 1 30 2016

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John in NH

Reaction score
You can find many more photos and full trip report here

Last Saturday, I was able to take a trip up Mt. Lafayette. I was actually not even sure the extent to which I could hike that day given some family situations. After squaring things away at home, I headed north and decided to pull over at the Franconia Ridge trailhead when I noticed interesting clouds, lighting, and fresh snow on the trees. It definitely looked like it had the most photo potential for the day, and the forecast was reasonable. Off I went, with the intention of just trying to get a few good photos and not worrying about peakbagging.

There was some excellent lighting over the shoulder of Little Haystack with Mt. Liberty poking above.

25032_138034003956af532ea37f2.jpg

25032_31423498456af532c2e591.jpg

Clouds would randomly form and blow over the peaks at times, with low angle light squeezing below the overcast. A dramatic look back at the clouds scraping the slopes of Cannon (with ski buildings) and Kinsman Mountains in the distance. Greenleaf hut on Lafayette is seen at the bottom right, along with some dots that are hikers.

25032_75071390456af59f338284.jpg

Frosty above treeline views to Franconia Ridge

25032_206987020756af59f00b70e.jpg

I made it to roughly 4700-4800' in elevation, below the turn on the greeleaf trail where the water ice sometimes forms from the spring. It was getting late and I was really only out to get in some photography (which burned a lot of time). I have climbed Lafayette in the calendar winter before (under much colder/windier conditions), and in almost every single month, so I felt no need to touch the top. I am not claiming any "credit" here, just enjoyed getting out for a bit. Good to see many others on this forum made it out up high that day too!

Last edited:
Nicely done John. Excellent exposures from what look likes a flatter light in many of your shots.