Senator Jeb Bradley Bags Way More Peaks Than You Do

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had the pleasure of spending a day on the trails with Jeb and some of his crew. One of the few politicians I can really relate to!

He certainly has me beat. The article did say "...that’s 576 hikes in all", which would make sense if one goes by Trailwrights rules (has anyone?). I suspect that gridiots don't bag just one peak aside from maybe Cabot, Owl's Head, Waumbeck, Isolation, Carrigan, Moosilauke, and probably Moriah and Tecumseh. Maybe Garfield is a single destination in winter, but I suspect the rest are typically bundled when time allows. Defining a 'hike' I suppose is important, as some people drive to multiple trail heads in one day. I would guess that each hike averages 2ish peaks, so a grid might involve 250-300 distinct hikes (which is still really impressive!). I'm willing to bet some people have data on their quests.

He certainly has me beat. The article did say "...that’s 576 hikes in all", which would make sense if one goes by Trailwrights rules (has anyone?). I suspect that gridiots don't bag just one peak aside from maybe Cabot, Owl's Head, Waumbeck, Isolation, Carrigan, Moosilauke, and probably Moriah and Tecumseh. Maybe Garfield is a single destination in winter, but I suspect the rest are typically bundled when time allows. Defining a 'hike' I suppose is important, as some people drive to multiple trail heads in one day. I would guess that each hike averages 2ish peaks, so a grid might involve 250-300 distinct hikes (which is still really impressive!). I'm willing to bet some people have data on their quests.

They were referencing the total number of peaks to do the Grid ie. 576.

I met him on the Forest Service hike to Thoreau Falls Bridge last October. He is clearly a thorough and dedicated hiker and conservationist. On the (thankfully rare) occasions when there are bills affecting hikers and trails, I am sure that he can work with reasonable people.